Game-Labs Forum

With the new patch 19 ideas!

42 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Again nobody really explained to me what they are talking about with enemies.

Out of my experience OW communication with enemies other than global chat were just: "hello kitty you". - i dont need that.

image.png.c8d2469ed7dbd2c9d48dbca5548a7a2d.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

I not even close to be even an hardcore player... You forget one thing. This game is about fighting by talking and not fighting  you remove one fundamental experience of the game - combat. New players dont know other players. Therefore they dont know who they are fighting or talking to. Thats why new players still attack Liq but old farts just pass by and say hello. Now we all see the game through noobie eyes. Everything that is not our nation is red therefore its worth a fight.

Cross nation alliances are bad for the game. Look at the old alliance system. It removed so many targets from OW that the game gets boring.

All people that say we want names back - I will not listen to your claims that the game is boring because of no pvp oppertunities. In most cases its your own fault.

Again nobody really explained to me what they are talking about with enemies.

Out of my experience OW communication with enemies other than global chat were just: "hello kitty you". - i dont need that.

Well said sir.

17 hours ago, admin said:

Flags with animations are very expensive from the FPS perspective. Flat flags would not drop FPS but look very ugly unfortunately.

How about different sails colour in OW ships for ex. Spanish ships will have yellow colored main sails (with red cross will be awesome)

Pirates black sails

Swedes blue

Brits red

Dutch orange

Etc.etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Przemo said:

How about different sails colour in OW ships for ex. Spanish ships will have yellow colored main sails (with red cross will be awesome)

Pirates black sails

Swedes blue

Brits red

Dutch orange

Etc.etc.

It would be very cool, if you could change your sail color, but just very minutely between a light papery yellow, or a lightish blue.

It's small but the countless minutes of fun you could have pairing different sail colors, more like tones, with your ships, and could pair well with the release of ship paints for all vessels.

18 hours ago, admin said:

Flags with animations are very expensive from the FPS perspective. Flat flags would not drop FPS but look very ugly unfortunately.

18 hours ago, z4ys said:

what about when clicking on a ship you see the nation flag like grp flag or battle grp above the ship?

1.thumb.jpg.3b8c6b02d9a9dd0ec457f8e5a9e35148.jpg2.thumb.jpg.1b7d36ae4ad2b6a5d010ef61bfc1879a.jpg3.thumb.jpg.502095b7636ed22f3394d055eecc3f5c.jpg

the further the ship is away the more the flag fades away

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sounds like a waste of time and server resources to create a battle instance that didn't need to be there.

Not being able to hail a ship on OW and have a chat, or voluntarily flying your colors (displaying your name) so to speak is just poor game design that limits social interaction and non-combat gameplay/diplomacy, etc.

We all had our time to make it work - social AND war. Given the "less than desirable" results now we focus on WAR.

Enough social interaction with cannons roaring.

42 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sounds like a waste of time and server resources to create a battle instance that didn't need to be there.

Not being able to hail a ship on OW and have a chat, or voluntarily flying your colors (displaying your name) so to speak is just poor game design that limits social interaction and non-combat gameplay/diplomacy, etc.

We still fought each other :) not a wasted battle instance

Just now, Wraith said:

I feel like you're too highly invested in this mechanic to be objective for some reason. Time will tell I guess... but 175 players during US prime time last night is not an encouraging sign that recent changes have had a lasting and positive influence on the game. 

We are discussing ideas, not people. Quoting a player - we are here to fight heroically.

Get out there, fight. 

19 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Nice comment.

Has nothing to do with the question.

But to interfere with your own thoughts - I do not play MMOs so I have no idea what you talking about, and mmo has nothing to do with why I backed NA, is just the cherry on top, definitely the shiny gold nugget on top :) as I love multiplayer games. Regarding arena games I can tell you a lot of them that hide the names and have no icons.

Maybe some players do play NA since it's a MMORG. And I have also the suspect that they still are the mayority of the few left.

And hiding the names of players and their clan IMO was an error. 

Unfortunately we will not able to verify it since the boost of PVP caused by the new missions will hide the acutal effect on PVP of the hiding of the names.

Edited by victor

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I can no longer tell who is who and who I'd like to sink.

Friendly - attack button is disabled.

Enemy - Attack button is enabled.

That's how the mechanics are. They are blind to human considerations.

Less talk more war. Its easier to kill/sink someone if you dont know who he is. You still can socialize within your nation. If you dont like your nation or you like more to talk to other nations  buy the forge paper dlc and change it. An enemy is there to fight him and not to exchange flowers/trashtalk with him.

Most of us play the game for so long we have friends everywhere (like facebook) we should focus on our real friends and sink the others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, victor said:

Maybe some players do play NA since it's a MMORG. And I have also the suspect that they still are the mayority of the few left.

And hiding the names of players and their clan IMO was an error. 

Unfortunately we will not able to verify it since the boost of PVP caused by the new missions will hide the acutal effect on PVP of the hiding of the names.

What is the effect? How do you know it wouldn’t by more? You seem to be assuming it wouldn’t be more? 

I on the other hand I cannot assume the server has had more, but I know I have.

So are you running from ships in OW more than you did before?

Let’s talk about what we know.

44 minutes ago, Tac said:

So are you running from ships in OW more than you did before?

Let’s talk about what we know.

That is what is actually happening in a lot of cases. 

The risk of crossing with a PVP pro make casual players even more shy.

And it's not a coincidence that this new feature is welcome mostly by pro veteran PVPers and by some well known ganker.

Anyone can draw their conclusions.

Mine is that the obsession of the Devs with OS PVP - at the expense of the other aspects of the game - can drive this game into the shallows. And the huge amount of recent negative reviews on steam is a fact that cannot be ignored so easily.

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

It's dumbfounding to me that even with your lust for PvP you old timers would hamstring the OW and diplomatic sides of a sandbox game just to achieve what, a few more battles against rookies? :)

More battles against rookies because you dont see their name? More like more fights against veterans because you dont know who you are attacking.

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Give me a private signal flag capability that I can share with my friends, so that on successful response it opens a chat window. That would be amazing.  Fail to give me the proper response then I'll sink you. But just making it so I have to waste yet 10 more minutes by sailing up, tagging into battle, finding out this ship is a hapless newb or a friendly, sailing away and waiting for escape timer is just dumb.

Sure would be nice to have. But compare the work needed for just disabling names and your suggestion. I think there are more important things to fix (UI, tutorial, PvP missions, clan management...)

If you still have forged papers you can still switch nations, add a few enemy friends and switch back :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

More battles against rookies because you dont see their name? More like more fights against veterans because you dont know who you are attacking.

Yep thats the reason i hear most why this feature is not welcome by old players. The fear of fighting someone equal. But hey its a combat game you either engage or you stay a coward and always run away. Courge is rewarded with battles and soon with other stuff even you lose.

All this cross nation interaction is killing the game. Friends everywere - no one to fight - boredom. Change it engage show courage!

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Are you seriously calling me a coward?  I demand satisfaction! :rolleyes:

No, dunno where u read that in my post.

As a programmer, color me unimpressed with how much time that took.

Look at the average time it takes to add any feature in this game. Its very long, probably because the code behind the game is very static and its hard to change stuff. As a programmer you should be able to see that.

The entire point of this conversation is that spending even that little amount of time is not serving the purpose of making this a better game.  It removes functionality that streamlines and makes our time in an open, sandbox game more interesting and dynamic.

For you maybe, for others its a good change.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Port Tavern chat.

that's too local, we already have trade chat. I'm talking about when you hover your cursor over a port, and it's circled and linked with other ports in the same region, you go inside that area and you get chat for that area. Personally I would use that over nation for call outs, you're more likely to get someone's attention in your area than calling through the entire nation that you're getting jumped. Battle coms in general too, all the Xs in nation and just random chatter from patrols and stuff, it'd be good to keep that talk where the battle is actually happening and have nation for people not out fighting

9 hours ago, CaptainSparckles said:

When  you click on the ship you must see this .

- Name

- Flag 

- Ship

- BR

- Fleet rates

No you don`t. There is no need to see players name, the reason is already known. Flag also not needed, because you know his nation. Ships can be recognised with spyglass, if it says "5th rate", you will be able to see if a player sails on an Indiaman or Frigate. BR? Why BR?

Fleet rates also not needed to be specified. That is the risk when sailing in OW. If a player sails an Indiaman, has 2 5th rates in fleet, well, thats the thrill...Has he 2 Indiamans or 2 Frigates in fleet? attack him and take a look :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fenris said:

No you don`t. There is no need to see players name, the reason is already known. Flag also not needed, because you know his nation. Ships can be recognised with spyglass, if it says "5th rate", you will be able to see if a player sails on an Indiaman or Frigate. BR? Why BR?

Fleet rates also not needed to be specified. That is the risk when sailing in OW. If a player sails an Indiaman, has 2 5th rates in fleet, well, thats the thrill...Has he 2 Indiamans or 2 Frigates in fleet? attack him and take a look :)

yep good points from a to z. No need to tell that it is a 5th rate as you can see it is a 5th rate. 
Also no need to tell players enemy ship BR 

Fleets if travelling in a line keeping station 1km away from the lead ships would be invisible as enemy would only see a top sail of a first ship.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I disagree. At some distance outside the current, small tagging circle you'd definitely know the difference between a Reno and Indiaman through a spyglass.  Why shouldn't you be able to tell the difference on OW in the fleet make-up of someone you encounter?

Its a game - there should and will be some abstractions
tagging circle is 20km - you can only see a top gallant of a first ship from 20km.