Game-Labs Forum
TheLoneWolf

Increase the daily number of tows to pvp zones

6 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

We could have a constructive discussion right... but no you prefer to make it about KoC.

There you have the proof that KoC fight and sink. On that fight we almost had an even one after discussing with HachiRoku... We agreed on a fleet size etc, but we got 2 Brits random joining (one was Swedish: ZhouSTX is usually salty when encountering us).

You could also have read what I put earlier... about us trying to go fight in smaller ships. If we go in 5th rate we'll get ganked by a bigger fleet 100% of the time.

I wasn't casting aspersions at anyone, everyone is entitled to their play style, and Crowny is entitled to his.  But my point was that for us, Crowns' style is not very much fun to play against because it's always about getting a win and making it personal.  For many other nascent PvP'ers in the U.S. and other nations it's not much fun to constantly go out in out-matched ships, books, and gear (and unmatched skill on top of that) and constantly get your teeth kicked in. And so it's no wonder that you're finding fewer and fewer people willing to do it.

It's really too bad because personally, I've had good fights against WO and BLANC, and by and large I like most of y'all when you aren't playing into Crown's toxicity. I read just fine your comments but took issue with the one where you complained about people being unwilling to risk their big ships and I was explaining why, and how if you tried a different approach (and attitude among the players you fight with), you might find better or more enjoyable fights, if that's your real desire.

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I read just fine your comments but took issue with the one where you complained about people being unwilling to risk their big ships and I was explaining why, and how if you tried a different approach (and attitude among the players you fight with), you might find better or more enjoyable fights, if that's your real desire.

We go out most of the time in 5th or 4th rate ships. Should we try 6th rate only next time?
The last time I took a first rate out was for PVE fleet mission to see how it had changed (disposition of ships at the beginning).

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

But my point was that for us, Crowns' style is not very much fun to play against because it's always about getting a win and making it personal. 

That's between KoC and Christendom. Nobody else cares about it. You really make it bigger than what it is.

As for the goal of a battle is in 2 parts:

- having fun

- trying to win

and if losing still having fun.

Edited by Louis Garneray

3 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

We go out most of the time in 5th or 4th rate ships. Should we try 6th rate only next time?
The last time I took a first rate out was for PVE fleet mission to see how it had changed (disposition of ships at the beginning).

That's between KoC and Christendom. Nobody else cares about it. You really make it bigger than what it is.

As for the goal of a battle is in 2 parts:

- having fun

- trying to win

and if losing still having fun.

Two fifth rates in your screenshots balanced against how many 3rd rates? :) And in your comment that prompted my response you were bemoaning the fact that players weren't bringing their big ships out.  (Last night the French were out there in 3rd rates, etc. etc. etc.). So actions speak a lot louder than words here. 

But I don't really care what ships you're in, everyone is entitled to what they enjoy. And we are definitely on the same page for your last three points...

But back to the topic at hand, PvP zones will evolve very quickly into gank or be ganked just like these events always have been, and for those players who consistently go out and get sunk by the more organized and geared-up gank fleets it will continue to be difficult to encourage players to be interested in PvP. 

• Like 2

Now we need free outposts at all of these patrol hubs ontop of our existing outposts....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

But back to the topic at hand, PvP zones will evolve very quickly into gank or be ganked just like these events always have been, and for those players who consistently go out and get sunk by the more organized and geared-up gank fleets it will continue to be difficult to encourage players to be interested in PvP. 

We already know that since it already happened the last time we had event zone. ;):D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Garneray said:

A night timer like you I guess, I went in with my Indefatigable. I met a few people. Most of them were in trashy frigate or basic cutter at the Tumbado event.

I saw Pipolanoix (French) in a 1st rate alone, hoping to get a fight vs a bunch of people as he used to do at KPR  but when I left he was still waiting. On the French side, he was the only one in 1st rate.

There were a mix of ships  on the French side: a couple of 2nd rate, everything else was 3rd or 4th rate. We were no more than 7 or 8 people all together.

Not to call you a liar, but when I got on last night which was pretty late the guys going in was only in groups of 2-3 so a group of 7-8 guys is really hard to fight against.  Specially when they are in mostly 4th and 3rd rates with a 1st rate (I did saw a 2nd rate come in with your fleet so you had one in group too, but that could of been another nation too since we can't see that stuff).  Most of the folks I see going to these events are going in 5th and 4th rates, but mostly store bought 5th rates.  The only time I see folks bring something that isn't a none permit ship is in the shallows cause even H Rattlers and Niagaras are fairly cheap to replace.

The point is if you want fights maybe break the group up into smaller groups and not go in such a big group and don't bring anything above a 4th rate.  It's about going in there and dishing out a lot of damage and prob sinking and getting right back in and doing it over and over.  That is why it says to bring a ship you can loose.

As for other PvP ya'll haven't been up the coast in a while by what I hear since I been in US for 3 weeks now.  Though I could miss it if it's on a week day since I work nights (3rd shift).  Ya'll do come out kinda late too even on week days.  So most folks are in bed or heading that way and that is the reason your prob not seeing much action.  I mean 11pm CST is pretty late for most normal folks that got to work in the morning.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

We dont need any more tows in my opinion, its going to end up like an arcade game. 

I would not object to the single tow we now have being removed and forcing people to sail their ships to other ports.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Not to call you a liar, but when I got on last night which was pretty late the guys going in was only in groups of 2-3 so a group of 7-8 guys is really hard to fight against.  Specially when they are in mostly 4th and 3rd rates with a 1st rate (I did saw a 2nd rate come in with your fleet so you had one in group too, but that could of been another nation too since we can't see that stuff).  Most of the folks I see going to these events are going in 5th and 4th rates, but mostly store bought 5th rates.  The only time I see folks bring something that isn't a none permit ship is in the shallows cause even H Rattlers and Niagaras are fairly cheap to replace.

The point is if you want fights maybe break the group up into smaller groups and not go in such a big group and don't bring anything above a 4th rate.  It's about going in there and dishing out a lot of damage and prob sinking and getting right back in and doing it over and over.  That is why it says to bring a ship you can loose.

As for other PvP ya'll haven't been up the coast in a while by what I hear since I been in US for 3 weeks now.  Though I could miss it if it's on a week day since I work nights (3rd shift).  Ya'll do come out kinda late too even on week days.  So most folks are in bed or heading that way and that is the reason your prob not seeing much action.  I mean 11pm CST is pretty late for most normal folks that got to work in the morning.

You just have to read my previous post where I state what we had in our fleet (including 2nd rate).

And we did break out in smaller groups...

After I left at 1 AM US eastern time I don't really know what happened.

As for the US coast, the last time we had a big fight was march 6th:

69BE924ABEC9240EE6B64AFCA8818720F0D2DB90

6 minutes ago, Fletch67 said:

We dont need any more tows in my opinion, its going to end up like an arcade game. 

I would not object to the single tow we now have being removed and forcing people to sail their ships to other ports.  

if we get to that... that will be the death of the minimal pvp we still have.

I believe that the intent and purpose of the unlimited tows is not understood.  I am suggesting that there be unlimited tows but only to the free port that is next to the pvp zone that day.  Ship losses are much higher than in OW on account of the nature of the battles and the fact that you cannot exit.  If you get on the wrong side of the battle, odds are you will end up losing your ship.  If you used up your tow to get a ship there you have to buy a port one.  Often there is little to no selection in port and people come out in junk ships which makes for a poor experience since you basically become cannon fodder.  If there are unlimited tows to that free port for the day, people can bring out better ships.  Also, often times we get clanmates that cannot participate as they used up their tow elsewhere.  So unlimited tows will allow more participation and will allow repeat participation. 

For those who advocate sailing ships there, it is wishful thinking.  Take the Tumbado pvp zone and French, Danish and Swedish players who mostly craft at their capitals.  Do you really think that they will sail their ships 2-3 hours to the zone and repeat this if they get sunk.  It will not happen and participation will be low.

As for the repairs, there were none at Tumbado.  Let's face it, no one will take out a good ship with no repairs.  The player economy method is not capable of providing sufficient repairs as are required for the events.  Furthermore, the cost is prohibitive for some and may discourage participation.  Thus free ports should offer repairs during the day that the pvp event is adjacent to them.

Lastly, ship quantity and selection should be improved.

The events should be fun and easily accessible for all, which they are not atm.  Implementing these changes will render them more accessible and increase participation and OW pvp for all.  The rewards offered by pvp and the pvp missions are a very good improvement that should discourage any abuse. 

Edited by TheLoneWolf
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I believe that the intent and purpose of the unlimited tows is not understood.  I am suggesting that there be unlimited tows but only to the free port that is next to the pvp zone that day.  Ship losses are much higher than in OW on account of the nature of the battles and the fact that you cannot exit.  If you get on the wrong side of the battle, odds are you will end up losing your ship.  If you used up your tow to get a ship there you have to buy a port one.  Often there is little to no selection in port and people come out in junk ships which makes for a poor experience since you basically become cannon fodder.  If there are unlimited tows to that free port for the day, people can bring out better ships.  Also, often times we get clanmates that cannot participate as they used up their tow elsewhere.  So unlimited tows will allow more participation and will allow repeat participation. 

For those who advocate sailing ships there, it is wishful thinking.  Take the Tumbado pvp zone and French, Danish and Swedish players who mostly craft at their capitals.  Do you really think that they will sail their ships 2-3 hours to the zone and repeat this if they get sunk.  It will not happen and participation will be low.

As for the repairs, there were none at Tumbado.  Let's face it, no one will take out a good ship with no repairs.  The player economy method is not capable of providing sufficient repairs as are required for the events.  Furthermore, the cost is prohibitive for some and may discourage participation.  Thus free ports should offer repairs during the day that the pvp event is adjacent to them.

Lastly, she ship quantity and selection should be improved.

The events should be fun and easily accessible for all, which they are not atm.  Implementing these changes will render them more accessible and increase participation and OW pvp for all.  The rewards offered by pvp and the pvp missions are a very good improvement that should discourage any abuse. 

Luckily the PvP zones move around, everybody will get their turn - I think you're missing my point.

Open World PvP'ers will be unable to afford PvPing.

If free teleports are implemented it is going to mean that the only active areas will be the PvP zones and Safe zone, I am willing to accept that as I believe that will change over time as we get more players (Hopefully). But the PvP-zone will function as a PvP-mark farming area, this will overflood the market with marks and they will be worth nothing.

What do OW PvPers then have to trade with?

Everybody is doing trading in the safe-zones so we have no valuable goods to capture from traders and our PvP-marks are worthless. We will make next to no money from our activities and the whole idea behind the Open World is gone. We will be forced back to PVE within a couple of weeks. The other options is of course to join you guys in your "activities", but I'd rather not.

We all have a different idea of fun, but try to see beyond what you find entertaining and find a compromise. You have the PvP zones, and have one tow per day - That should be more than enough. It's fine that you have your little PVP-zones where you can go with your cheap ships and have a bit of fun fighting eachother using some tournament based/arcadish rules that promotes headless shooting and ganking - but don't let it ruin it for the part of the community that plays the game for the sake of OW hunting. If I wanted to take part in throwing ships away I'd be playing Legends.

Edited by Percival Merewether
  • Like 1

PVP zones are still early alpha. Don't think this is the finished version because it's not, it's just a test to see what works

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

13 hours ago, Bragan Benigaris said:

#NoToTow.

There is still a ow beside pvp-circus and safezones and it's not an issue to supply most of the free ports with ships and repairs. Tumbado has usually a good stock of repairs - although expensive, but that's only the compensation for the traders risk to haul them there.

You could easily open outposts in several freeports and buy ai ships for the patrol or tow one there per day if ya insist. But excessive towing per day is only lame. That's still a sailing game, goddammit!

12 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

Thank god we have NA Legends! ;) towing ships around is generally a bad idea, and one tow per day is enough - we need more ships in OW, not fewer.

What short memory you have. After the wipe there were double the amount of daily players, yet there was hardly any OW pvp. The reason? No tow, no teleport.

Forget the tows what happened to getting a replacement ship, repairs, some gold for guns and some book as reward ? That would do WAY more to encourage more to come out

4 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Forget the tows what happened to getting a replacement ship, repairs, some gold for guns and some book as reward ? That would do WAY more to encourage more to come out

indeed, when did that get dropped?

13 hours ago, trashiiii said:

wouldnt be afk sailing with 1500 players online

102bit.jpg

Still hoping the game will get to these numbers again some day... what can I say, I'm a dreamer.

55 minutes ago, Knobby said:

What short memory you have. After the wipe there were double the amount of daily players, yet there was hardly any OW pvp. The reason? No tow, no teleport.

We had no teleports, no tows for quite a while after EA launch. Only a "Teleport to Capital" every 4 hours that players kept for RvR emergencies. Plus there were no outposts, no eco buildings and everything had to be sailed and contracted. 

There was pvp and conquest everywhere.

We should stick our necks to the present and future and look to what exactly works in unique greatways, because teleports and tows is not one of them and OW storyline proves it.

Just now, Hethwill said:

We had no teleports, no tows for quite a while after EA launch. Only a "Teleport to Capital" every 4 hours that players kept for RvR emergencies. Plus there were no outposts, no eco buildings and everything had to be sailed and contracted. 

We should stick our necks to the present and future and look to what exactly works in unique greatways, because teleports and tows is not one of them and OW storyline proves it.

Either get rid of it or make it a full fledged feature. I hate when the devs leave us in the halfway :\

7 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Lastly, ship quantity and selection should be improved.

Some people made millions by supplying Tumbado with repairs. But it is true that the supply was not enough. Perhaps it would be wise to pre stock Tumbado when there is no patrol then you can sell at exorbitant prices on patrol day. 

4 hours ago, Hethwill said:

We had PvP and conquest everywhere not because of a shitty tow/teleport system but because of 2500 players on one server. With smaller numbers you need to bring the players closer together to get the same experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trashman said:

We had PvP and conquest everywhere not because of a shitty tow/teleport system but because of 2500 players on one server. With smaller numbers you need to bring the players closer together to get the same experience. 

true

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

PVP zones are still early alpha. Don't think this is the finished version because it's not, it's just a test to see what works

the current zones were tested already. The only thing that got added is that you can pull a mission for them. The people that were around at the first test still know what happened. And I have to say there is not much improvement. In the late stage it was limited to 6vs6 even that made the pvp event area only interesting for a handfull of people.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, z4ys said:

the current zones were tested already. The only thing that got added is that you can pull a mission for them. The people that were around at the first test still know what happened. And I have to say there is not much improvement. In the late stage it was limited to 6vs6 even that made the pvp event area only interesting for a handfull of people.

No improvement was made.. what more can be said.

4 hours ago, Trashman said:

That's a after thought and post reasoning. Would-Could-Should debate and we could go on another 3.5 years playing it :) 

Undeniably the fastest way to bring players together is to have a button "Battle!" and immediately have a battle. We have these PvP Zones to promote the love of battle unto players that always kept away from it for fear of loss of ships. The system promotes "grab a ship, sail there, have fun".

You have it exactly as described.

11 hours ago, Hethwill said:

That's a after thought and post reasoning. Would-Could-Should debate and we could go on another 3.5 years playing it :) 

Undeniably the fastest way to bring players together is to have a button "Battle!" and immediately have a battle. We have these PvP Zones to promote the love of battle unto players that always kept away from it for fear of loss of ships. The system promotes "grab a ship, sail there, have fun".

You have it exactly as described.

Which runs completely antithetical to an OW, sandbox game. Legends should fill this niche and instead we should have tools for player-generated PvP-creating content, right?