Game-Labs Forum

Merge the nations!

Just now, Cr33D said:

solution to all of this issues, while in alpha reduce map size to hispaniola region only, where all of this 11 nation can meet up and have a brawl :)

Take the game as is - Enormous open world – Large open world, recreated based on 18th Century maps, historical harbors, positions, and town names. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thonys said:

huh , you ever been out of your room ?

8a8736fc5a154bdab1fdc277b04b20d1.jpg

Anyone with the slightest historical education knows all these paintings are inaccurate at best. They was painted nowhere near the battle and always made so show a dramatic win. Same reason you almost always find the hull of the ships undamaged.

Old style propaganda if you like.

Edited by Jesper Dahl
Wording
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

Anyone with the slightest historical education knows all these paintings are inaccurate at best. They was painted nowhere near the battle and always made so show a dramatic win. Same reason you almost always find the hull of the ships in damaged.

Old style propaganda is you like.

well it counts for almost anything, look at all today's games 

for one thing many ships who encountered pirates would surrender  and not a shot was fired , in those days the souls of the men were more important than the cargo

but in this game crew is worthless,  and way to cheap and in a huge abundance , i never hear anyone complain about that, it's just the shoe who fits i think.

Edited by Thonys

As much propaganda as to hit a rudder of a ship, using a biplane as a weapons platform. in wallowing wind and waves with dead reckoning aiming while navigator hangs upside down to the side of the airship and making hand signals. Right ?

Gladly the official mission reports / captain's logs are very clear on many subjects. Including the example I give above.

Gladly on the XXIst century digital age a lot of primary sources can be consulted online via appropriate procedures as per requested by the archive holders.

Back to topic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thonys said:

well it counts for almost anything, look at today's games 

for one thing many ships who encountered pirates would surrender  and not a shot was fired , in those days the souls of the men were more important than the cargo

but in this game crew is worthless,  and way to cheap and in a huge abundance , i never hear anyone complain about that, it's just the shoe who fits i think.

Correct and we are back to talking about game balance because historical accuracy in this game is limited at best.

Small declining server population and a huge map spread across too many nations is another downhill experience.

10 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

Correct and we are back to talking about game balance because historical accuracy in this game is limited at best.

Small declining server population and a huge map spread across too many nations is another downhill experience.

well we all live in a "a global world "

if i am chines i would choose a chinese flag to start with 

i have no problem with a other nations.

it seems not historical  but it is the way it is ,we can not rule out other nations ,many nations were on vessels together , and many flags were flown (look at banners and flags)

i believe RNG is more unrealistic than anything else ...

Edited by Thonys

9 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

1st: It's not declining since several months

2nd: The sea is usually wide and some people draw excitement from the uncertainty what may linger behind the horizon

• Like 5

I think different nations are not the problem at all.

If a player can choose a flag at the start where he is familary why not.

But those nations shoud be more like Traders ore coud do Missons for the Main Nations GB,NL,ESP,FR,US,SV,DN and get some reputation from there Admirality. If they got enough reputation they will get a Privateer-Status for that Nation and get acces to build buildings in this nations and can do PB for that nation. This Sub-Nations are not abble to do PB by them selfe. If a player have choosen a Main Nation he can not select a second.

Chinese-Privateer-GB Playername

Same for Pirats i dont like the way it is right now Pirats shoud be more like the Hardcore-Nations. Delete the Pirats from Character creation screen and make it only avaible like it was in the old days if u attack a player from your one nation u went Pirat.

Edited by Jim Broadreach

4 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

DK consistently brings 2 port battle fleets down into our territory at a time, when we can only bring half of one. denmark has access to woods we do not as well. the unique ID login thing is BS at best. and in terms of RVR, we cant form a port battle fleet consistently in any time zone. so there you go. "more numbers" my ass

The ability to mobilize forces says nothing of the total population in a nation. We mobilize for RvR - the dutch leadership refuse to come out of port.. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what nation will win that war..

4 hours ago, RKY said:

pirates were loved for most of these 250 years. Their deeds acclaimed and nations didn't have to bother build ships or maintain a fleet because they hired the pirates to do the wars for them.

Like I always say, "What is a Pirate?"  "Just a Privateer without a job."

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

As much propaganda as to hit a rudder of a ship, using a biplane as a weapons platform. in wallowing wind and waves waves with dead reckoning aiming while navigator hangs upside down to the side of the airship 

Almost sounds like the royal navy's swordfish attack on the bismarck that crippled the steering...?

14 hours ago, Flinch said:

No merges. Nations, like Prussia are starting to take on unique cultures and identities that will appeal to all sorts of players. It's good for the game to keep the nations we have now. Sometimes I fear that calls to merge or remove nations is part of a plot to just destroy nations people don't like.

No they aren't prussia is just the fotm, with the majority of its players just hopped on the bandwagon in the last week or 2

3-4 nations max gets my vote

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Take the game as is - Enormous open world – Large open world, recreated based on 18th Century maps, historical harbors, positions, and town names. 

If you would read once again it says while in alfa stage. With amount of bugs and balancing issues, in my head those would be more important to deal with, than sailing around in the empty world. Release full map in beta. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

Almost sounds like the royal navy's swordfish attack on the bismarck that crippled the steering...?

You are actually very close to the mark, according to one after action report at least one navigator did exactly that! That said it will never be known whether it was skill or blind luck that the torpedo struck where it did, in all probability it was a combination of both.

22 minutes ago, Cr33D said:

If you would read once again it says while in alfa stage. With amount of bugs and balancing issues, in my head those would be more important to deal with, than sailing around in the empty world. Release full map in beta. 

Pirates became what they were for a wide variety of reasons, most were professional seamen, many time served with national navy's. The difference between privateers and pirates initially was very blurred, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, His Most Catholic Majesty King Philip of Spain maintained that Drake, Raleigh & co. Were not Privateers but pirates, technically they were of course members of the fledgling Royal Navy established by Henry VIII but in times of peace they did resort to privateering, possibly  even under letters of marque, a form of plausible deniability.

The argument that Pirates were simply unemployed privateers is a strong one since the Crown actually earned a great deal of money from privateering and the temptation to 'cut out the middle man ' was very high. Disaffection and falling out of favour with the Monarch of the day was also a sound reason for going rogue, Sir Walter Raleigh lost his head through such a disagreement.

The very nature of piracy ensured there would never be a nation per se, but alliances there were, often fragile and very volatile with a lot of infighting they were none the less reasonably successful, enough to distract the French, Spanish and British from their numerous wars on Eastern side of the Atlantic! 

Pirates operated without formal structure, without the facilities available to nations, what they needed they took, be it ships, supplies or cargo's, they displayed an amazing business acumen as well, being able to trade almost at will in some ports, both Port Royale  and Nassau were fencing stolen goods for a considerable time period along with many smaller port's  in the Caribbean. In many ways the recent countries installed in game are more like pirates than the pirates were, no true home, scant ship building and repair facilities, I think that Pirates in game should be what they were, under the conditions that they lived under, Those who choose to be pirate, should be able to live off of their own wits, should be able to sell their skills as they often did, or live as the outcasts that they were in their often brief careers. 

• Like 1

I mean it's a numbers game right.  700 people online MAX lately.  11 nations to fill. Not enough people to fill them.  Everyone's had a cup chicken noodle soup that was mostly water and noodle...barely any chicken?  It was lousy right?  That's NA right now.  

We're testers.  It's hard to test RVR. economy and PVP if some nations have a max for 20 people on at a time.  It's just common sense.

Trim back the nations until release, if we need more when it launches when introduce them.

• Like 2