Game-Labs Forum

58 minutes ago, Trashed Privateer said:

Now on multiple occasions balls kill more crew than grape. When bug occurs, grape kills only 1 man per shot. 17 grape hits = 17 crew kills, sometimes even 0.

Like this ?

I would say you were to far away for guns with grape to pen go closer and kill people. 

Within 100m grape worked fine for me.

Edited by z4ys

I'm not a rookie. Grape worked before patch 19, now it doesn't work like before. Sometimes it works normally, sometimes not (entire battle, not just one rake).

Edited by Trashed Privateer
  • Like 1

I had the same experience. Something about crew damage through stern in general is wrong. Even though ball seems to work correctly most times, grape will often result in no crew damage at all despite single shooting them perfectly through the stern.

• Like 2

At what distance? Like I said I had no issue yesterday or the day before at close range to rake ships and kill crew as normal.

Yeah , just imagine the "real life" when you shoot with cannons ball the crew don't have chances to escape from death (because a cannon ball can penetrate) , but when you shoot with grape they can BRACE or HIDE from your shoot . This is my theory . Maybe I'm wrong .

+ depends where you shoot with that grapes . Maybe not all places of the ship have much crew . You can shoot in a cannon , idk .

Edited by CaptainSparckles

4 hours ago, Trashed Privateer said:

Now on multiple occasions balls kill more crew than grape. When bug occurs, grape kills only 1 man per shot. 17 grape hits = 17 crew kills, sometimes even 0.

had 3 or for light frigates shooting grape down a connie's stern and we were getting like 3 crew. Even 32lb carros were having trouble getting more than 5 crew each rake. Something is messed up.

yes It feels like very bad luck sometimes. Had it yesterday in PvE combat.  One side of the enemies armour completely down and Hull to about 40%, the balls killed a man each, the grapes on about 20m distance didn't to anything (me in Bucentaure against an AI-Pavel).

I had the same experience. In 2 battles, I stern raked the enemy from a frigate, enemy being AGA. I had max. 1 crew killed for each grape round. If I use full broadside much worse results.

One of them being during boarding action, I would say they nerf the damage when someone getting boarded, but the second one during battle, of course stern armour was stripped before raking.

edit: and btw we lost many ships against 2 Aga, as were stupid to trying to stern camp them, for no damage. If we just hit their hull, we would sink them, but how could we know ?

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 1

dont know, i managed to kill 170 crew on santissima with agamemnon with a stern rake allmost point blank, but its armour on stern was only halfway finished

What I have sort of found out is that the range for grape has pretty much been killed. You need to be sitting on the stern for it to do anything. Think it was just the effective range of grape that is ridiculous. Probably just a ridiculous nerf. From about 300-400m I got about 3 crew, but from about 100 I got over 100. It's just a range thing I think.

Lately I have seen an increase in crew damage when raking with ball (first pass on full stern health). I was able to kill up to 170 crew on Bellona while being in a first rate. Haven't checked grape for a while, but will keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

I used grape shots on a bucentaure (no hull on his stern) yesterday in a pvp battle sailing my Bellona from 100 mt and each time i killed only 15/20 crew. It seemed too little to me (in the past i could deal 150/200 each rake). 

Bug or new mechanics? I hope it s a bug because i deal more damage with balls than grapes now.

• Like 1

I think the connie may be bugged we tried to grape one down with no stern armor and took less crew off with grape then with normal ball. When I did the same to a bucentaure he lost 400 crew in a single rake.

I was in a connie shooting at an aggy with little to no armor and I was getting 4-6 crew per broad side of Poods and Carros.    So yah grape is broken as I was point blank side to side with him.

It seems to be intermittent; possibly instance dependent or some other variable.  I first noticed it day after patch 19.  I was getting 7-9 crew with optimum rake with grape shot.  Later on I tried it in a different battle and grape worked fine, getting over 100 crew in one rake.   Then yesterday we were in another instance when the grape was not working. 

We have tested all ships, the bug has not been spotted. At the moment we consider it as players sometimes may fire not the ideal broadside limiting their damaged caused to crew.

We will monitor this question further though. More reports or video evidence is welcomed.

I thought it might have something to due with determined defender as I was unable to grape an endy down from the stern- then tried to board and couldn't because he had the officer perk...not much else i could do in an lgv...

35 minutes ago, Ink said:

We have tested all ships, the bug has not been spotted. At the moment we consider it as players sometimes may fire not the ideal broadside limiting their damaged caused to crew.

We will monitor this question further though. More reports or video evidence is welcomed.

In my case my Connie was broad side with a boarded Aggy that had no or very little armor and I was firing grape out of 42's Carros and 24 longs.  Was only getting 3-4 crew kill and they had full crew at start.   Wait he had rum going could that be something that might cause it?   Well either way if it comes up again I'll rememember to F11 it and maybe get some screens if I can. I'm about to take that connie out for a bit of grinding any way so will board something to test it again.

• Like 1