Game-Labs Forum
Slim McSauce

PVP Patrol Mission Feedback

First PVP patrol mission. Right off the bat balancing is an issue, it's the classic 2 side battle but as far as I can tell here there is nothing to balance sides, maybe doesn't make a difference. But is there any point to 2 sided battles over FFA? These missions aren't locked to or against any nation, maybe they should be.

9F3EDE6ADC0F658204A36FFAC61C6727B9B4C4EA

6C631D054E16254618DDEDF19252FAAADF0A8ACF

Damage done, as is the case the damage adds up, you don't have to get all 20k damage in one battle which is a big plus. I will return to the battle with another ship to ensure I get payout for my efforts.

All for now, will update as it comes feel free to post your own experiences/opinions with the new patrol missions

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

19 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

^^ did you get any reward?

if you lose you get xp if you win you get pvp marks  gold xp etc.

if you fulfil the mission you get the reward on top.

I still dont see how this will encourage people to pvp. If you dont win the 10pvp are not really rewarding. On top battle stays open till over and there is no balancing.

Its all about do dmg die repeat.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

I was in a pvp patrol the circle was shrinking. I sailed into my circle suddenly i died even no timer showed up (what happened when i left the circle before)

20180309142331_1.jpg

(Iam the ship in the circle)

I lost my ship this way i want it back

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

I was in a pvp patrol the circle was shrinking. I sailed into my circle suddenly i died even no timer showed up (what happened when i left the circle before)

20180309142331_1.jpg

(Iam the ship in the circle)

I lost my ship this way i want it back

To further his point, we were in the battle on the other side, and for us they were outside the circle, so it was displaying two different circles. Also if you press N by mistake (like looking at your map in battle) the circle goes away all together, you can get it back by pressing N again.

• Like 1

WARNING

CIRCLES ARE EXTREMELY BUGGED.

my whole team just lost due to circles not syncing, the game read we were outside the circle even though we weren't.

• Like 2

Sigh. This whole system and its bugs are an indicator of why game-y mechanics have no place here and are a bigger problem than the thing they're trying to solve.  PvP missions are fine, it's nice to have some new content to explore, but do we need special RoE on top of the missions?  Why not just leave the RoE alone but give a daily reward based on damage done to players? Easy peasey.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sigh. This whole system and its bugs are an indicator of why game-y mechanics have no place here and are a bigger problem than the thing they're trying to solve.  PvP missions are fine, it's nice to have some new content to explore, but do we need special RoE on top of the missions?  Why not just leave the RoE alone but give a daily reward based on damage done to players? Easy peasey.

Honestly I can't agree with you more. I'm quite tired of seeing circles for every single action, it feels quite disconnected and interferes with immersion especially now with a large opaque circle for every ship you click. It's like the admins think we're not able to distinguish the distance of a tag from the attack button. It's not all that helpful for what it's worth in the presentation environment.

I don't want to understate the importance of these OW missions. This really needs to be expanded before it's a proud feature of NA. Although I had some fun and had 3 ok pvp battles despite the bugs, it was na:l style of fun, there was nothing spectacular about them besides the marks you get, has little affect on the map in any way besides being in the way for travel.

It's a good feature, good concept, just needs to be expanded on to fit into the game, not be a traveling side circus. There's real potential in OW PvP go here kill x type objectives. It's actually what would fill NA with content. There's a lot of power in this line of thinking, mass movements need to be made and the map needs to be shook from that,  there needs to be urgency in OW that's not just ports.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Honestly I can't agree with you more. I'm quite tired of seeing circles for every single action, it feels quite disconnected and interferes with immersion especially now with a large opaque circle for every ship you click. It's like the admins think we're not able to distinguish the distance of a tag from the attack button. It's not all that helpful for what it's worth in the presentation environment.

I don't want to understate the importance of these OW missions. This really needs to be expanded before it's a proud feature of NA. Although I had some fun and had 3 ok pvp battles despite the bugs, it was na:l style of fun, there was nothing spectacular about them besides the marks you get, has little affect on the map in any way besides being in the way for travel.

It's a good feature, good concept, just needs to be expanded on to fit into the game, not be a traveling side circus. There's real potential in OW PvP go here kill x type objectives. It's actually what would fill NA with content. There's a lot of power in this line of thinking, mass movements need to be made and the map needs to be shook from that,  there needs to be urgency in OW that's not just ports.

When pvp missions got announced first time I also thought they are more like normal missions. You can take them anywhere and get a circle for yourself but that circle will spawn in borderregions of national ports so the pvp you do actually also increases hostility

• Like 2

Question:

I get sunk in one of the new missions but return in another ship as the Devs desire. I assume I’m wearing the recently killed tag. Would others still get damage points and PVP marks for killing me again? If not, that needs to be fixed.

generally I like it

BUT

• Why are the battles open for that long? 3 minutes is plenty. Just promotes the gank.
  • Circle of death seems overdone... Found myself a bellona duel; battle was a little weird, had  to reposition and chase a lot; eventually we got to the end of the circle - just then it started to shrink. No way any of us could get back in the circle due to wind; shrinks way too quick. I was lucky he was already low on Structure which slowed him down; eventually I had to board - With 15 seconds left on the clock I managed to capture him.
    • Please increase circle size, reduce shrinking speed

eX587He.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Question:

I get sunk in one of the new missions but return in another ship as the Devs desire. I assume I’m wearing the recently killed tag. Would others still get damage points and PVP marks for killing me again? If not, that needs to be fixed.

Sure hope not...   Player A sails up in his surprise gets sunk 3 times... gets enough damage in, while the gank fleet splits 24 pvp marks + gold?  More if they too were doing the mission which they don't need to be doing.. they can just farm all day.

Edited by SKurj
  • Like 1

What was a pleasant 1v1

89CDBC4A28BCAA144DA35FB017D70345D7E4FE6A 

Quick;y tuned into a dreadful gank

B94705417B2E313AB5824E9681B759EB1232C1FD

Battles need to either be FFA or have some kind of balancing to them, these kind of fights are not fun for both sides

• Like 3

Battles in Patrol Area could allow to get up to 1,5br advantage, then prevent joining to the side which has such advantage. It would fix ganging issue. 

It would be even better if players pvp rank was also considered. 

• Like 4

There is a serious bug that doesn't allow you to join one side or sometimes both sides of an on going battle in a patrol zone, even one that has just started.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vazco said:

Battles in Patrol Area could allow to get up to 1,5br advantage

Would be pretty good. Make it so people can only join until the BR is even again.

I think 20k XP is a bit much for the shallow fights.  3 battles yesterday and about 2/3 hours worth of fighting with 10+ people in all 3 fights was not enough to do 20k.  I did 14k.  I'd rather not have to farm AI in there.

10k seems appropriate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChristenTrash said:

I think 20k XP is a bit much for the shallow fights.  3 battles yesterday and about 2/3 hours worth of fighting with 10+ people in all 3 fights was not enough to do 20k.  I did 14k.  I'd rather not have to farm AI in there.

10k seems appropriate.

Now that you mention it I'd like to see what many patrol missions with smaller reqs would work out. Yesterday the tombado mission was unreachable for me so I was unable to participate in the mission.

What was meant is great battles.  I have had a few, 3 vs me... white knuckle fighting.  I sank after sinking two and almost got the other.  

Vast majority just had the Gankopotamus squad show up to farm... 12 vs 2?

If the devs don't want to fix this, I don't see the logic in continuing unless it is to churn through AI capped ships.

• Like 1

Just now, Atreides said:

What was meant is great battles.  I have had a few, 3 vs me... white knuckle fighting.  I sank after sinking two and almost got the other.  

Vast majority just had the Gankopotamus squad show up to farm... 12 vs 2?

If the devs don't want to fix this, I don't see the logic in continuing unless it is to churn through AI capped ships.

This really,  a 12v2 is the opposite of a fun battle, there's just no point in letting that continue because not a good function of the mission.

Posted this elsewhere earlier but probably better here.

Done a few of the shallow ship patrol mission battles yesterday. I joined the side which was outnumbered on every occasion apart from one when the game would only let me join the larger group - not sure why. Generally,  joiners nearly always join the side with the advantage in numbers and most of the fights resulted in being massively outnumbered as gank squads arrived.  Given, the propensity for ganking the rewards should award damage on the basis of the BR difference. If you join and the balance of power is 2 to 1 you get 100% of value of the damage for ganking (shared between more people) and 200% for being ganked. If it's even, 100% each. If the odds change, change the ratio of the rewards. This will encourage joining the weaker side and improve the fun. A multiplier for the outnumbered, reflects the reality that whilst you can do damage quite quickly whilst outnumbered, you generally do not  last very long, so it seems fair to get more for being disadvantaged whilst it lasts. 

1 hour ago, Rouleur said:

Posted this elsewhere earlier but probably better here.

Done a few of the shallow ship patrol mission battles yesterday. I joined the side which was outnumbered on every occasion apart from one when the game would only let me join the larger group - not sure why. Generally,  joiners nearly always join the side with the advantage in numbers and most of the fights resulted in being massively outnumbered as gank squads arrived.  Given, the propensity for ganking the rewards should award damage on the basis of the BR difference. If you join and the balance of power is 2 to 1 you get 100% of value of the damage for ganking (shared between more people) and 200% for being ganked. If it's even, 100% each. If the odds change, change the ratio of the rewards. This will encourage joining the weaker side and improve the fun. A multiplier for the outnumbered, reflects the reality that whilst you can do damage quite quickly whilst outnumbered, you generally do not  last very long, so it seems fair to get more for being disadvantaged whilst it lasts. 

I agree but a problem with multipliers is just from when you joined the battle decides how many rewards you get, unless its counted at the end where if successful the teams would be balanced regardless and no one receive bonus rewards, creating another useless feature.

Either 1.5xBR or a FFA battle for the patrol mission ROE.. I think a ffa for what we currently know as patrol missions should be general PVP sights, not really towards anything but a way to get a fight and some marks.

Then keep the 2 sided, maybe non BR balanced missions for a bit like we have now where you pull a mission and go to one of 4 spots, you pull a mission and it takes you to that nations closest border port, same for defense so it's all one battle area. Same idea but now you're fighting against another nation and not whoever comes around. Now that you have that you make the rewards something like 20x PVP marks and as a side bonus, whatever the border port that the mission is at, will raise full or near full hostilities and open up a PB to the clan who did the most damage in total would get rights to.

How does this sound? I think it's a good end game for patrol missions