Game-Labs Forum

Bellona Nonsense

Donjuan Dimarco

6 minutes ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

Hello Devs,

are you hello kittying kidding me??? A Bellona is even faster as trincomalee, ha better weapons armor etc??? Why you always overpowering ships ???

I don't understand you.

Donjuan

chart.thumb.png.71d64ead42b3a9dcb5bd8a9522921577.png

Next time try 30° max separation between the ship speeds (purple bellona and green trinc)

• Like 2

Just because the base stats of a ship are faster then anothers does not mean that it is actually faster. Things like wood type, speed mods, and sail force along with points of sail all play a part. Ships are like a canvas that you can modify. Also wasa useless:blink:?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

Hello Devs,

are you hello kittying kidding me??? A Bellona is even faster as trincomalee, ha better weapons armor etc??? Why you always overpowering ships ???

I don't understand you.

Donjuan

Try to be constructive.... nobody is going to take that seriously. Please keep in mind that realistic ship behavior does mean that some ships of the line will be faster than frigates (depending on build).

please explain how and why the Bellona is OP.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

I show you what...rofl. that is so laughable.

Bellona.png

From Brian Lavery’s book on the Bellona:

Observations of the qualities of His Majesty’s Ship of the Line ‘ Bellona’:

28 May 1783

10 or 12kts, rolls easy

You made her 0.44kts faster than they tested her at on the 28th of may 1783... not as unrealistic as you might think.

Edited by Percival Merewether
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

agree. the devs may put it on the right topic. But I don't care about this at the moment ... I think its more important that players will force them to put the game out of this culdesac

But if you make a Bellona and a Trinc using same build and mods the Trinc will always be faster - I really do not see the problem.

of couse a LO/WO Trinc will be slower than a F/F Bellona.

Edited by Percival Merewether

I am converting 2 videos at the moment. If you watch, it will show that pictures are sometimes more remarkable than 1000 words or statements

tested ships

trincomalee: teak/bermuda planking

bellona: fir/fir planking

the bellona is faster than trincomalee when sailing more upwind!!!

hahahahaaa....

17 minutes ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

I am converting 2 videos at the moment. If you watch, it will show that pictures are sometimes more remarkable than 1000 words or statements

tested ships

hahahahaaa....

That Bellona is going to need that speed.. there is no way it can beat that Trinc.. are you using the same sail force mods for the trinc?

the fact that the Bellona is fir/fir just confirms to me that there is no problem in this case.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Percival Merewether said:

From Brian Lavery’s book on the Bellona:

Observations of the qualities of His Majesty’s Ship of the Line ‘ Bellona’:

28 May 1783

10 or 12kts, rolls easy

You made her 0.44kts faster than they tested her at on the 28th of may 1783... not as unrealistic as you might think.

Has to be said tho that tests are often in ideal conditions with a ship that has recently been carreened.. Which makes the numbers a bit off from everyday situations. Another issue is the SoLs inability to use the lower gundeck at high seas and at max speeds. The problem ingame is the many, many speed mods that function cummulative from the base number.. I don't however see it as a major issue in terms of game balance but merely as an issue from a realism standpoint.

1 hour ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

tested ships

hahahahaaa....

A better test would be same woods and same upgrades - the upgrades are the difference atm..

1 hour ago, Percival Merewether said:

But if you make a Bellona and a Trinc using same build and mods the Trinc will always be faster - I really do not see the problem.

of couse a LO/WO Trinc will be slower than a F/F Bellona.

^^ Second

2 hours ago, Donjuan Dimarco said:

Because you put staysail force (jib sail force) modifiers on it: Pirate Rig Refit, Staysails, Treatise on Staysails Trim. Put the same modules on the Trincomalee and the Bellona will not be faster when sailing upwind. Take a look at the sailing profile of the Trincomalee vs the Bellona: Trincomalee is faster upwind, at all angles, actually. You can use modules and books to change the profiles (to a certain degree) to suit your purposes. Your Bellona is only faster than your Trincomalee upwind because you altered it to be that way. This is not an issue and doesn't only apply to the Bellona.

Furthermore, Bellona is not "faster" than Trincomalee at all: base speed of Trincomalee is higher than base speed of Bellona. You can change the wood type, add speed upgrades, or use modules to change the sailing profile, but no matter what, a Trincomalee built the same way and with the same modules will always be faster than the Bellona. You are comparing apples to oranges by using different ship builds and possibly different upgrades as well.

Just to clarify, I'm not a fan of all the mod stacking either, I liked the old system of 1-3 mods in each category, but thats a topic for another time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tittytrash said:

Has to be said tho that tests are often in ideal conditions with a ship that has recently been carreened.. Which makes the numbers a bit off from everyday situations. Another issue is the SoLs inability to use the lower gundeck at high seas and at max speeds. The problem ingame is the many, many speed mods that function cummulative from the base number.. I don't however see it as a major issue in terms of game balance but merely as an issue from a realism standpoint.

Actually they were decommissioning reports, recorded based on the captain's recollections of the ship's performance during the commission.

So it was more likely that the reports describe the ship towards the middle or end of a long period of service.

Also, if the seas are high enough to put the lower ports awash, the ship is unlikely to be making her best speed in any case.