Game-Labs Forum

Information on the open world patrol missions

4 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

there doesn't seem to be any underlying game meaning to it.

Any "meaning" always translates to timidness, running and general pvp aversion, we've done this for a long time now.

People who don't like this aren't forced to do it.

15 hours ago, Trash unworthy of the Sea said:

4ea.jpg

All the other OW-PvP? Sounds like a parallel universe where NA has 2k players online around the clock that aren't almost all little sissies that try their hardest to avoid equal fights.

You don't play PVE, you can't find PVP on the OW ... so what the hell are you doing when online?

13 hours ago, BPHick said:

but some of them are along prime trading routes. (tumbado, aves)

Thats a concern of mine too.  Depending on where it is near tumbado getting a trade ship through that gap may now be too risky to bother.

All you guys complaining about how this will be a gankers paradise completely miss the point. Before this, if you got ganked you gained nothing unless you were able to sink one of the gankers. With this pvp mission you can use a throwaway store-bought or npc-capped ship and get rewarded even if you sink and even if you kill nobody. All you have to do is do damage, any kind of damage!

So let me repeat: even if you get ganked, just fight and you will get rewarded! Regardless of the outcome of the fight! You don't even have to do it in one go, you can sink 3 times  if that is what it takes. Who wouldn't trade npc-capped ships for pvp marks?

Feedback on yesterdays patrol missions:

There is a problem where the 'always open' battle can get really unbalanced. I saw a few battles that were really unbalanced but the game would only let me join the bigger side of the battle. Join mechanism should be used to equalize BR somewhat. Also, I think battles should close after 30-40m or something. After 40 minutes of fighting the initial fighters are so battered that they don't have a chance against a group of new joiners. Wind changes combined with the shrinking circle is a really bad combination. In general I think the wind changes too fast and too much, but with circle of doom it can be a RNG death sentence, and has nothing at all to do with skill. Chains still OP

That said, I had great fun yesterday!

Done a few of the shallow ship patrol mission battles yesterday. I joined the side which was outnumbered on every occasion apart from one when the game would only let me join the larger group - not sure why. Generally,  joiners nearly always join the side with the advantage in numbers and most of the fights resulted in being massively outnumbered.  Given, the propensity for ganking the rewards should award damage on the basis of the BR difference. If you join and the balance of power is 2 to 1 you get 100% of value of the damage for ganking (shared between more people) and 200% for being ganked. If it's even, 100% each. If the odds change, change the ratio of the rewards. This will encourage joining the weaker side and improve the fun. A multiplier for the outnumbered, reflects the reality that whilst you can do damage quite quickly whilst outnumbered, you generally do not  last very long, so it seems fair to get more for being disadvantaged whilst it lasts. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

since most of them had already died there was no opportunity to get some pvp marks for the kill

It seems to me that something needs to change so this is not the situation in these Patrol Missions.

6 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

For the event in deep water (at least for US players) it seems that most players don't want to use their pretty ship or have already lost their ship and are therefore forced to use store bought ships. The Deep water events seems relatively easy to get the 20k damage even without players around since there are enough AI ships to kill in the patrol zone.

It's a suicide mission - who brings their Maserati to a suicide mission? 

On 7/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

So, basically sail a disposable oak/oak ship packed with carronades up there and play bumper boats for one battle hoping you get your 20k damage before getting sunk.  Then build another oak/oak ship to do the same, etc, etc.  It doesn't really seem like an authentic PVP experience. 

Still struggling to find a game motivation for risking good ships in PvP, which is what we really need. 

Suggestion: Give 5 duras to those prized ships used in patrols

On 12.03.2018 at 6:18 PM, Louis Garneray said:

PVP event don't really generate PVP.

OW pvp doesn't exist anymore, we can still craft and trade... that's about it now.

It does for me - now if I want to get some engaging PvP, I don't have to go to a nearest capital and pray that someone will gank me (which worked 1 on 2 days). I just go to the zone, join the fight, or find someone to tag. Everyone in the zone is ready to fight as well.

13 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Unless you're in the biggest gank group you're guaranteed to sink. 

Even if you're on a loosing side, you're not guaranteed to sink. I didn't sink a few times already being in a disadvantaged group.

Having said this, sink ratio is quite high - you could expect approx. 45%. There's no point bringing a ship you can't loose to a fight. It's best to bring 3-4 rate (depending on your skill), so that you are guaranteed to get 10 PvP marks even if you get sunk (plus PvP marks for everyone you will sink).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vazco said:

Even if you're on a loosing side, you're not guaranteed to sink. I didn't sink a few times already being in a disadvantaged group.

Having said this, sink ratio is quite high - you could expect approx. 45%. There's no point bringing a ship you can't loose to a fight. It's best to bring 3-4 rate (depending on your skill), so that you are guaranteed to get 10 PvP marks even if you get sunk (plus PvP marks for everyone you will sink).

LeL - well, I'm guaranteed to sink anyway.  Fortunately I still have those free agamemnons from Global to throw away. 

Just now, Cmdr RideZ said:

If this arena mode increases PvP dramatically, that indicates that OW PvP in general is in really bad shape?

But please, do not test idea of giving signaling perk for everyone.

It's more we don't have enough players to facilitate OW pvp in a natural way to where anyone in any nation in any area of the map can find PVP within reasonable time every time in various sizes.

PVP missions puts a bit of control on some of these variables, and helps people find the PVP they're looking for, even when there's only 300 something people online.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Joins the Patrol Battle sails the edge and sits there, i see no reason to do this other than to waste our time.

What can we do about people like this?

Thankfully the circle does get smaller and will mean he will die but he making this battle last alot longer than it should.

20180402175911_1.jpg

Edited by Bloody Hound