Game-Labs Forum
Slim McSauce

Capturable 4th-1st rates?

i agree, capping smaller ships allows players to get "throwaway" ships to practise in and helps beginner players.

By the time they can sail SOLS they shouldn't need practice, and they can buy crafted ships. Its good as it is now.

• Like 2

On 20/3/2018 at 3:16 PM, Wraith said:

Nope. Make ship crafting matter. 3rd rate spam was a miserable time on the server and made for extremely boring battles.

At least there where battles...

I know people who quit the game when the steam curve went down and fast.

What I have heard it was mainly because the game went from combat oriented adventure game to crafting/trading game.  They were thinking that the game gets even more combat and adventure oriented.  One guy said that wtf is this, that he understood that the game was never meant to be focused on small things that hinder combat, like crew casualties and repair kits and trading and crafting?  Why economy focus is so big?  Some of my friends did not come here to do economy, they came here to murder, rape, pillage, loot and plunder, smoke and sweat, cannon balls and blood...  And to mutilate the bodies.

Now on this forum we don't have any more people for this adventure game, only traders and crafters.  I don't know what is right and wrong, but it can be that the economic minority stole the game from the majority.  (Based on player population)

Not everyone wanted to have pure RvR game.  Many wanted to be just a captain, have maybe quest to do, governors to talk.  Have treasures to be found, save a princess?  Many wanted to have nations on the map as those historically were, they did not need clan wars.

I have enjoyed PvP but most fun, I mean when I have been actually laughing with my friends, was when we did not know about economy. People were dreaming this to be the next Pirates, an adventure game, massive OW was providing so good base for a game like this. Everyone was just waiting when devs populate this world and they can start playing.

After these fun times it was slightly depressing to see that crafted ships were better than the ones captured. This is a perspective as well.

Development did not go as many of my friends were dreaming, so they left the game.  "Turned out to be a boring trade/craft game, no thank you".

I don't know really was it a mistake to make the game economy heavy, maybe, maybe not.

We have a big empty map.  Adventure features could be an option to make people leave green zones.

1-3 rates can be captureable but the economy will be less important after that.

The question is what kind of game devs want to make?

• Like 1

Well, the game is a sandbox isn't it?

We can actually play the way we want. I love a bit of trading and crafting a ship or two, also love getting my ships sunk on the patrol events. I also love catching defenceless  human traders for tidy profit. i get lots of it whichever play i chose for the day. Ok maybe not so much of player traders but one or two a session is not bad.

I stopped playing for quite some time after the big wipe simply because i put in lots of hours, got it good, then just couldn't be bothered to grind my way up again. I went and played other games. Eventually got back to it recently because lets be honest, if you like the era and naval warfare, nothing else on the market comes anywhere near this game. I wish it was a complete product but it is not. Still, i spent around 1000 hours in it, can't be that bad can it.:)

Getting new ships to replace losses was a bit af a struggle for a while but once I started trading a bit, its doable. Compared to pre-wipe days crafting is now cheap even if i buy all the white oak for my 4th rates at KPR. 

The thing is, if i am able to capture an AI 4th rate off an ai fleet, i am most probably not in need of it anyway.

But didn't we had a lot more action when clans captured 3rd rates? 

It was soo fun back then...

And crafted ships where better still. If you needed a super ship you crafted it. Of you needed a quick fix you captured one.

Much more FUN! 

So bring back the full range of ship capture. If I use a captured 1st rate ship knowing in a 1v1 it will likely lose to a crafted ship then that's my intention.  It can't replace crafting or you would see everyone using captured frigates on OW (just the poor ones)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 7:24 AM, Fenris said:

No need to test this again.

We had this in game already, and it was BS.

yeah like 2 years ago.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, NethrosDefectus said:

It is incredibly easy to capture a ship from the AI, that alone should be reason enough not to allow it. If you want a ship you should have to put in the effort it takes to get that ship. More than that, it should mean something when a ship is lost. What this game doesn't need is people throwing 1st rates away because they have a dozen more captured ones in the port they can replace it with. If you want to fight without risk or sailing time then I suggest fleet practice.

There are too many 1st rates in the game already..What was the percentage of 1st rates to other Line ships in the era?  10%?  I don't know how a cap like that would be applied, but I would love to see it.  The main battle ship should be a 74.

If it was possible to capture 1st rates, what would be the point in sailing anything else the majority of the time? Every man and his dog would be sailing around in a first rate and there will be little need of anything else. I think we have already been down that road. First rate ships need to be expensive and quite valuable to stop them proliferating the game. The fact you can capture other players is more than enough for me.