Game-Labs Forum

Updated Repair System

Repair meta creates imbalance where there shouldn't be any. Fights can wind down to who has the most repairs, besides boarding and leaks there is no decisive actions in a fight. 

Then there's the problem of how much it hurts PVP participation. If you don't have the full repairs you aren't going to fight anyone, and if you run out of repairs mid battle you will leave that battle. A whole battle thrown away because one side ran out of repairs, that's not good!

Proposal

Passive repair system. (Semi Passive relative to other games) 

Instead of packing hundreds of repairs that slow you down, and tie up PVP, all repairing is done semi passive with no repairs needed, the only thing you rely on is the countdown timer which can be easily adjusted for.

No longer will you be required to pack many repairs just to PVP. If you run out of repairs you won't have to sail 30 minutes back to your port. More PVP for all, a better OW and more balanced PVP on skill, not who packed the most RUM!

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 4

Before I get the response of "This is an MMO game, economy matters, preparation matters etc."

Yes all those things matter. But we should be doing everything we can to encourage people to PVP. If you don't have repairs, whether you just forgot them or the port you're in literally doesn't have them, you're being punished.

If you're out on fleet ops or whatever with your buds and one of you runs out of repairs, you have to sail all the way back to get more or you won't be able to put yourself into PVP.
Punishing multiple players.

If your nation is lazy and your economy isn't fully functional and literally no ports outside the capital area have repairs, the entire nation is punished.
So you get my point here, I'm not encouraged to bring enough repairs because they may save my life, I'm punished for not having the repairs needed to sustain PVP.

The correct way would be repair modules, or kits that you only have to equip one of to be able to repair in battle, perhaps another to repair on OW. Easy to get, easy to transport and it's equip and forget. 

The game really doesn't need anymore pointless tedium in PVP. There's already plenty of that elsewhere, encourage don't punish.

• Like 1

repairs aren't always available : bad

repairs damn expensive: bad

suggestion , limited repair kits with cost scaled to rate of ship, with a limit..  ok and available everywhere!!!!!!!!   5th rate kit (enough for one cycle) costs 100, 4th rate 125, 3rd 150, etc (just an example could add zeros)

Nothing wrong with players supplying ports with repairs if it brings down the price abit

Limit refers to how many can be used in battle, if 20 minute cooldown mebbe 3 of each but leaving repairs cooldowns as is where you have to choose between sails/hull.

Edited by SKurj
  • Like 2

The biggest one is repairs not always being available. I, nor nobody can reasonably  put their ships on the line with no repairs in battle.

The alternative of supplying every ports with some repairs is not my ideal one. But it does help the issue. So devs please consider making it happen, for now until population can sustain it's own market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

The biggest one is repairs not always being available. I, nor nobody can reasonably  put their ships on the line with no repairs in battle.

The alternative of supplying every ports with some repairs is not my ideal one. But it does help the issue. So devs please consider making it happen, for now until population can sustain it's own market.

Sounds more like a clan issue.  I know my clan has over 10K hull repairs 16K Rig Repairs and 20K Rum sitting in the clan warehouse right now and most of that was what I made since the wipe.   I got even more as personnel stash.  That is a 5 man mini clan if you count my production and I build all my own ships.  So any clans of 25+ players should not have an excuse why there clan mates never have repairs when they go out.  If your working forward deployed than you get a trade ship and move some to that base.  It's easy just put the trade ship in your fleet when you move down the coast to new hunting grounds.  Ports do produce repairs as I have hunted away from home and used a trade ship to sneak into ports just to buy up AI repairs.  Than I dump the captured brig and go back to my hunting ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Sounds more like a clan issue.  I know my clan has over 10K hull repairs 16K Rig Repairs and 20K Rum sitting in the clan warehouse right now and most of that was what I made since the wipe.   I got even more as personnel stash.  That is a 5 man mini clan if you count my production and I build all my own ships.  So any clans of 25+ players should not have an excuse why there clan mates never have repairs when they go out.  If your working forward deployed than you get a trade ship and move some to that base.  It's easy just put the trade ship in your fleet when you move down the coast to new hunting grounds.  Ports do produce repairs as I have hunted away from home and used a trade ship to sneak into ports just to buy up AI repairs.  Than I dump the captured brig and go back to my hunting ship.

Gap in the market , unless your playing at a time when nobody else is and somebody has snapped them all up to resell ...

However , looking at all the ports set at weird times lately, maybe the bulk of the playerbase are indeed using so many repairs and rum during eu night time when they log on. ( /sarcasm off)

As Tex says tho , sounds more like people being unwilling to sort out crafting their own stuff

Multiple repairs make it possible to fight f.e. 1 vs 3, because you can separate them, fight them 1:1 repair and repeat ...

Removing repairs or reduce it to only one repair per battle will make it harder to fight outnumbered ... so better talk about who wants to reduce chances for the outnumbered ...