Game-Labs Forum

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Oh and I have not given an official review of the game yet cause it's not released.  If I wanted two I can do 5 reviews but I'll wait until it's released.   Which also makes me wonder how many of those bad reviews are alt accounts of one player?

Somebody  gleefully said in global chat the other week, that they have 5 accounts and have left 5 bad reviews and they still log on very regularly. I can't quite get this type of thinking. It's very much like those 2000 hour reviews who say it's no good

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Trino said:

This!

Most players i have talked to just cant understand why it is a problem to insert some Sid Meiers Pirates style missions. 9 parts of a treasure map, every part is leading to the next part. Sail to this town, trigger a little private one ship Portbattle to get in the town. Sail to this area, lookig there for special AI fleet ... got all 9 parts of the map, you get the location of an battle instance with some epic AIs in (with a liitle pirate Island only in the battle instance).  The tools/features are already in the game ... why not combine them to some bigger?

because hand full of devs doing more important stuff. After the game is released and people like it and they think putting more money in NA is worth it they will improve - my guess

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trino said:

This!

Most players i have talked to just cant understand why it is a problem to insert some Sid Meiers Pirates style missions. 9 parts of a treasure map, every part is leading to the next part. Sail to this town, trigger a little private one ship Portbattle to get in the town. Sail to this area, lookig there for special AI fleet ... got all 9 parts of the map, you get the location of an battle instance with some epic AIs in (with a liitle pirate Island only in the battle instance).  The tools/features are already in the game ... why not combine them to some bigger?

because you first get coregameplay done and finalized and then do all the neat stuff around it or what do you think will get changed after UI and localization when combat, BR and rvr is in it's final version?

4 hours ago, admin said:

What is missing mate? All promises are delivered and more was done. Now tutorial, ui and localization are under way and you can help fund more content by buying premium ship packs and other goods :)

I suppose, just the way you make it seem that the game is nearly complete, like there really is nothing more you can/would do to the game. I could pull up hundreds of suggestions from the past that have reasonable implementation time that would improve the game little by little. Is this what you mean by "more content"?

On a side note I have no issues with you selling premium stuff as long as it's not P2W, you've ran these servers for years which isn't cheap and I can't name another MMO that doesn't have premium anything slapped on to it.

5 hours ago, admin said:

But for 40 dollars without subscription you can only get what is described on the steam page

I don't think 40 bucks is cheap but your game is well worth every cent of it. I wish you would give us more options to support you and the game ( cosmetic microtransactions / DLC come to mind ).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, admin said:

premium ship packs and other goods

For OW game or only legends? I thought legends was my game but I hate the grind ( yes even with premium ) and really miss the OW and the loss of a ship should matter / hurt a bit - it just makes it way more exciting for me despite what all the whiners and complainers say...

TL;DR Please Premium ship packs and other goods for NA vanilla ( not only legends ) asap... Thanks!

Sorry for the constant double posting but it won't let me edit the quotes back in...

3 hours ago, z4ys said:

The only thing that went wrong is that reviews were allowed before the game is released.

I think reviews should definitely be allowed but deleted after a few months, if the game changed alot. Having old negative reviews, that aren't really relevant anymore is really pointless and only hurting the game...

I still haven't rated the game at all but I will give a positive review with very every one of my 6 alts, once I can finally have paints and other cosmetic shit on my ship.... if it happens before I get bored and quit lol...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Landsman said:

I think reviews should definitely be allowed but deleted after a few months, if the game changed alot. Having old negative reviews, that aren't really relevant anymore is really pointless and only hurting the game...

I still haven't rated the game at all but I will give a positive review with very every one of my 6 alts, once I can finally have paints and other cosmetic shit on my ship.... if it happens before I get bored and quit lol...

with 6 reviews you have the power to make recent reviews not red anymore

just saying and starring at you.

:D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rediii said:

with 6 reviews you have the power to make recent reviews not red anymore

just saying and starring at you.

Better than nothing, I guess? Gotta start somewhere bro :D

1 minute ago, Landsman said:

Better than nothing, I guess? Gotta start somewhere bro :D

Makes a big difference in my oppinion ^^

Mostly negative red sign at recent is something that tells me instantly to exit that shoppage, Mixed I read the reviews

Edited by rediii
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, rediii said:

because you first get coregameplay done and finalized and then do all the neat stuff around it or what do you think will get changed after UI and localization when combat, BR and rvr is in it's final version?

1. In an other thread admin says after UI and localization there will be release. I really hope they will add some improved PVE before release, because i fear of the population of the game otherwise. Combat modell os a diamond but can shine only with enough players ...

2. It seems that there is plenty of time for other stuff. NAL, PvP Missions, random ship bonuses ... im not a programmer, but it seeems to me, that NAL is much more work than some PVE content ... and who missed NAL before it was there?

5 minutes ago, Trino said:

1. In an other thread admin says after UI and localization there will be release. I really hope they will add some improved PVE before release, because i fear of the population of the game otherwise. Combat modell os a diamond but can shine only with enough players ...

2. It seems that there is plenty of time for other stuff. NAL, PvP Missions, random ship bonuses ... im not a programmer, but it seeems to me, that NAL is much more work than some PVE content ... and who missed NAL before it was there?

And he also stated that development will continue after release

NAL is less work than pve content. NAL is just a little part of NA. The combat is there, sailing, balancing a little (reps). Only the maps, progression with ships gold and premium stuff is new

Also there are different teams working on NA/NAL

1 hour ago, Vizzini said:

Somebody  gleefully said in global chat the other week, that they have 5 accounts and have left 5 bad reviews and they still log on very regularly. I can't quite get this type of thinking. It's very much like those 2000 hour reviews who say it's no good

And I'll add to that I have seen a few reviews with people who played in the (multiple) thousand of hours.

And they give a negative review where they don't recommend the game but they still play. And I see their name in the combat news almost every day.

To me it seems a little hypocritical.

And at the same time. I would say there is something missing in the steam review system. The only options are recommended or not recommended (blue or red). There is no ground for something in the middle. I would guess "stay on the fence" would help having more nuance in the grading of the game by the players.

By the way Naval Action is the only game I have on Steam with more than 3k hours. :blink: I still wonder how I got there. :P:D

So, yeah the population is lower lately, but it's part of the cycle. And I understand that it can be frustrating when nothing happens. But at the same time the devs are not pointing a gun at us and asking us to stay logged in.

what i find quite funny is that some ppl write a negative review and have like 800 ,900 , 1000 hours playing. i mean come on ,i don't have nothing against your opinion but jesus 1000 hours playin a game and you didnt like it. just makes me say wtf!?

btw reading admins answer . i missed that original sig up in steam , yeah was busy playin potbs back then . But once i saw the game , i was like wow. i wrote a mial and i swear for the very first time i prayed to be able to play a computer game , was still closed testing back then. thanks to admin and the hwole gamelabs team for  letting me in. BTW after getting the email back then , i build myselgf a whole new rig just so i could play NA. I tried to quit once , i gace up  , i knew i was hooked.

Let's face it a lot of us who criticise the game , are pretty picky. I don't have those ideas most of you guys have , a lot of time i'm like wow good idea.

back ot, really cool suggestion don't think a few can be put into this NA version , hint to admin . lol

edit:

and a lot of ppl in the review say it's a lot of ganks going on , toxic community , after a long time i played on the pvp server the other day and i gotta say , i liked it very much and most likely will just move back from the pve server.

Edited by BoomBox
  • Like 1

Вот ну чесслово, я не хейтер. Вы взяли за основу PotBS, масштабировали мир (неплохо), но забыли масштабировать геймплей.
Тот, кто скажет, что популяция упала из-за слишком долгого отсутствия интерфейса ошибается. OW - скука лютая. Игра сжирает время часами,
не давая ничего взамен. Все должно масштабироваться от онлайна. Начиная от раздачи какого-нибудь тика, заканчивая ускорением в море. имхо.

7 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

They are quite optimistic with Star Citizen... it's still in development. :D:D

SC is never going to stop development as it will be fore ever growing and changing, but it also has the budget for it. I'm betting it will be the next eve.   Well we can all hope so and that it doesn't just complete crashes and burns.  I'm sure I'll get my money worth out of any way.   I still need time to build a better/newer gaming computer so they can take there time and get it right.

7 hours ago, Hethwill said:

I find the list of titles chosen, wanting.... *sigh*

Thanks for it anyway, it kind of illustrates the idea.

I closed Beta Dioblo III the last three months before the open beta it and than released, but yah most of those numbers are pretty spot on from drawing board to release.   Some one mention AC the other day and I think Orgins was started when they where about to release Black Flags.  So that was over 4 years and most of the AC's are just carbon copy game style of the one before with just new graphics and story, but those things do take time to make and put into a game.  With that they also where working on other games.  Casue Rogue camp out the next year and than syndicate so like big name companies they work on several projects at once.  Just with a smaller team.

8 hours ago, Landsman said:

I don't think 40 bucks is cheap but your game is well worth every cent of it. I wish you would give us more options to support you and the game ( cosmetic microtransactions / DLC come to mind ).

Games where 20-40 bucks when I was a kid 20+ years ago.   We get way more game play now a days and for basicly cheaper if you count inflation.   Not to mention that is like a stop at the bar for me, maybe 2 dollar tuesday at the strip bar if I don't stay long.  Prob less than most of our half tanks of gas right now.   Most of us blow 20 bucks without blinking an eye on stupid stuff all the time.

8 hours ago, Vizzini said:

Yah I don't get that, but some folks just get all bent out of shape at times for little things.  I just walk away from a game and take a break if something gets me all worked up so bad I want to bad review bomb something.

4 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Games where 20-40 bucks when I was a kid 20+ years ago.   We get way more game play now a days and for basicly cheaper if you count inflation.   Not to mention that is like a stop at the bar for me, maybe 2 dollar tuesday at the strip bar if I don't stay long.  Prob less than most of our half tanks of gas right now.   Most of us blow 20 bucks without blinking an eye on stupid stuff all the time.

Yeah, it's all relative... but for the content that is there at the moment and the fact that it is still EA 40 bucks definitely isn't cheap... but ye, worth it for me.

On 5.03.2018 at 8:46 AM, admin said:

Dont get me wrong, some ideas are great.. 
But what you are suggesting lies way away from the current focus of the development and is never going to be implemented in THIS game. Some of the elements you describe would be a part of the new game. But because you mention them in terms of NA here is our managing expectations message.

When we were sending initial pre-order keys one phrase we used in it was - expect the worst. Same phrase was given to all users who were invited to closed testing (long ago): expect the worst!

We never planned to play with your brain creating castles in the sky, selling you non existent future. We find it extremely important to manage expectations. We never sold you tiers on kickstarter and always promised to deliver 4 well - beautiful world, beautiful ships, combat and sailing models. 

This was/is our promise to customers when customers voted for us on steam green light that allowed us to sign a contract with Valve. We broke valve greenligh record then as one of the fastest green lights.
T5Ip6xc.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259130636

We delivered on ALL these promises. And exceeded them 10x. For example instead of 10 ships we have a lot more. And instead of 3 preset maps we have 16mln square km of caribbean.

You buy the game as it is described now on the steam page. http://store.steampowered.com/app/311310/Naval_Action/
We all desire the whole world and davy jones and krakens. But for 40 dollars without subscription you can only get what is described on the steam page

Well, you sure are brutal in bringing people down to the ground. Everything you promise on steam wont work anyway if you release the game in the state like it is now. People normally expect from sandbox MMO that it will have some PvE content even if its PvP focused. It is so much expected that in players mind its not even needed to be mentioned in game description. As a result you are going to recieve loeads of negative reviews if you release the game in current state. Please write in your game description that game lacks almost any PvE content and its not expected to be added. At least that part will be clear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Borch said:

Well, you sure are brutal in bringing people down to the ground. Everything you promise on steam wont work anyway if you release the game in the state like it is now. People normally expect from sandbox MMO that it will have some PvE content even if its PvP focused. It is so much expected that in players mind its not even needed to be mentioned in game description. As a result you are going to recieve loeads of negative reviews if you release the game in current state. Please write in your game description that game lacks almost any PvE content and its not expected to be added. At least that part will be clear.

Arent the challenges pve content?

Noone mentioned btw. that its never gonna get added. It's just not the focus right now (understandable)

9 minutes ago, Borch said:

The funny thing imho is that there is good PVE. The AI in battles is very good (= acting reasonable, no bugs). The economy is very detailed, plenty of trade goods and possible trade routes. Special trade goods to craft special upgrades ... 

you just need to take this ingredients and cook some long therm quests. Make a treasure hunt that get players busy 10 RL-Days. Make 10 famous AI-Pirates to hunt over the whole map ... There are many suggestions on the forum ... 

and for PvPers: this will create content for you too, because it make PvErs sail !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trashiiii said:

Arent the challenges pve content?

Noone mentioned btw. that its never gonna get added. It's just not the focus right now (understandable)

Yep, there is SOME PvE content but not enough for release of this game.

As for none mentioning, read Admins post. It may be added, it may not be added. If they want to keep players thinking strict about what is promised instead of what can be as a suprise added, they need to make it clear. "There is not much PvE, we are not working on PvE, we might add some in the future but dont count on that as we already delivered what we promised". At least "some" players choosing the game will have the situation clear and wont see the reason to write negative review for something that was clearly stated (most will write anyway just because they can)

2 hours ago, Trino said:

The funny thing imho is that there is good PVE. The AI in battles is very good (= acting reasonable, no bugs). The economy is very detailed, plenty of trade goods and possible trade routes. Special trade goods to craft special upgrades ... 

you just need to take this ingredients and cook some long therm quests. Make a treasure hunt that get players busy 10 RL-Days. Make 10 famous AI-Pirates to hunt over the whole map ... There are many suggestions on the forum ... 

and for PvPers: this will create content for you too, because it make PvErs sail !

Yup, but it needs devs time and players money for developement. Currently game lacks both.

On 5-3-2018 at 9:46 AM, admin said:

Dont get me wrong, some ideas are great.. 
But what you are suggesting lies way away from the current focus of the development and is never going to be implemented in THIS game. Some of the elements you describe would be a part of the new game. But because you mention them in terms of NA here is our managing expectations message.

When we were sending initial pre-order keys one phrase we used in it was - expect the worst. Same phrase was given to all users who were invited to closed testing (long ago): expect the worst!

We never planned to play with your brain creating castles in the sky, selling you non existent future. We find it extremely important to manage expectations. We never sold you tiers on kickstarter and always promised to deliver 4 well - beautiful world, beautiful ships, combat and sailing models. 

This was/is our promise to customers when customers voted for us on steam green light that allowed us to sign a contract with Valve. We broke valve greenligh record then as one of the fastest green lights.
T5Ip6xc.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259130636

We delivered on ALL these promises. And exceeded them 10x. For example instead of 10 ships we have a lot more. And instead of 3 preset maps we have 16mln square km of caribbean.

You buy the game as it is described now on the steam page. http://store.steampowered.com/app/311310/Naval_Action/
We all desire the whole world and davy jones and krakens. But for 40 dollars without subscription you can only get what is described on the steam page

Let me say first of all that I don't feel cheated out of my money or anything. The ship combat alone is already great in itself for me personally. I also cannot deny that the content that was promised is also delivered (although 'episode 2', the boarding I feel is just too ... nothing really).

But seeing your post confirms my beliefs that the current content in place will be what 'Naval Action 1' will be when it releases to the general public. The UI will look better and there will be lots of balancing I assume. If that's the case I really fear that, when released, it will not garner positive reviews. I see it like this; I'm very passionate about the era and about naval combat. So I'm willing to see past the monotonous and frankly boring OW which, essentially, is half the game. The general war-gaming public won't. But this is where you'll get the majority of your sales from. Having sales ensures the prospect of any future projects... doesn't it?

The current content of the game simply ceases to be interesting if you do anything other than combat and the combat only gets you so far. That's why most of my gameplay suggestions relate to the Open World. 

Most of my gameplay suggestions should really not be hard to implement. For instance point 10. (the RPG elements idea) is litterally a pop-up image on screen and afterwards a temporary buff or debuff is applied to your ship. There are already variables like 'White Oak' that change your ship characteristics, so there's already a system for this. Deserted shore repairs would literally work the same as ports except you can only use the repair option. Just to name a few.

Finally, please understand that I really, really love Game-Labs for even making a game like this, and I really, really, really want Naval Action to succeed for me, but mostly for the devs. But the game in it's current state will just not work. However it definitely does have the potential to become something truly special.

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant,

Edward Harvey, 

Edited by Edward Harvey
  • Like 4