Game-Labs Forum

Fleet ships temporarily on 'autopilot' => NPC

Today I want to propose another idea, about an improvement for your accompanying fleet.

Sometimes I want to distribute ships, like ordering one to part from me and sail to port X, while I continue voyage with another to port Y.

Since we have Captains under our command (in battle) on those fleet ships, wouldn't it be natural they could do limited actions on their own even on the Open World map?

Nothing sophisticated like following trade routes buying/selling stuff automatically (as I remember as feature in 'Port Royale' game), just an order to sail on his own to a certain destination after you dispatch him. While the fleet ship is on route, it would be a NPC ship and you could not command it until it reaches port. There you can take it over again. Your risk: if attacked/intercepted on the way, the ship would have to survive battle like any NPC ship, if you lose it this way, you just get a notice about the result. In case the ship would win a fight, it would carry on towards destination afterwards.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Today I want to propose another idea, about an improvement for your accompanying fleet.

Sometimes I want to distribute ships, like ordering one to part from me and sail to port X, while I continue voyage with another to port Y.

Since we have Captains under our command (in battle) on those fleet ships, wouldn't it be natural they could do limited actions on their own even on the Open World map?

Nothing sophisticated like following trade routes buying/selling stuff automatically (as I remember as feature in 'Port Royale' game), just an order to sail on his own to a certain destination after you dispatch him. While the fleet ship is on route, it would be a NPC ship and you could not command it until it reaches port. There you can take it over again. Your risk: if attacked/intercepted on the way, the ship would have to survive battle like any NPC ship, if you lose it this way, you just get a notice about the result. In case the ship would win a fight, it would carry on towards destination afterwards.

I have wished for a similar mechanic as well.