Game-Labs Forum

Where did you get your In-Game name from?

Sir Madoc

I have been using my user name on a number of forums for years now. I have only recently started with MMO - being mostly a boardgamer and miniatures wargamer since the 70s.

Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter was one of the most famous Dutch admirals who fought in the Anglo-Dutch naval wars of the 17th century. One of his flag ships the De Zeven Provincien is being reconstructed at the Batavia shipyard in the Netherlands. I used his name because I have Dutch ancestry and family in the Netherlands and of course an interest in naval history.

Obviously is not a unique user name and sometimes I have to alter it. As it is there is another De Ruyter in NA already (I dropped the space for mine).

I chose my name Lord Hood, Samuel Hood in game ( as the devs have mentioned that you can gain titles and Lord Lord Hood would have sounded ridiculous lol) due to the fact that he is my ancestor so I have always been proud of the name. I am not role playing although am not adverse to the idea (turns out that I share a few of his traits so the family tells me, both good and bad apparently lol).

Well, I live on a boat, Narrowboat Invincible, so my first thought was Invincible.

But then I decided that this sounded boastful.

Then I thought of Grenville, after HMS Grenville (R97), the ship that the building I work in is named after (her bell hangs in reception). But I felt that it wasn't quite right, it still felt a bit
boastful. People might think I was comparing myself to the origin of the ships name, Vice Admiral Sir Richard Grenville, who died of wounds received aboard his ship the Revenge, which stood alone against the 63 ships of the Spanish fleet at the Battle of Flores (1591)

So I chose Portsdown, after the hill (overlooking Portsmouth) on which the Grenville Building stands and HMS Portsdown (T 221) an Anti-Submarine Warfare Trawler of WII.

BTW, thats not me in the Avatar. The bloke is one of the crew of HMS Amethyst, hero of the 'Yangtze Incident'. The cat is Simon DM, Amethysts Ships Cat.

I've been using mine since I first joined CompuServe back in the early 80s! It is the last name of a character (Jason Darkholder) I created for a series of stories, only one of which was ever realized (a short in my brief bit of college). 

Mine is my surname, and on my signature you can See that it says: Señor de Antoñanzas y Acedo-Rico Primer conde de la Cañada, well, that is, my ancestors where First Count of la Cañada, so yeah, thats my username...

Thanks for your time, and forgive my English, I am from Spain.

Usually change it with whatever MMO I decide to play, never stick to one. Wanted to show some appreciation for Edmund Dene Morel, a radical who was the big drive behind bringing awareness about the atrocities in the congo and Leopold II's involvement. Not anything to do with the age of sail (although he did work for a shipping firm) but great men need remembering none the less. 

My nick name was given to me by my daughter - it is based on my affinity/involvement in Orion Competition Sound Systems in the late 80's and early 90's.

To this day I still have 10,000 or 15,000 watts of amps laying around and several "earth movers" like these - and I know how to use them:

orion-hcca-competition-subwoofers--1.jpg

BTW did you know that the highest SPL possible is 191 - beyond that the atmosphere will liquify and can no longer transfer sound at all.

I chose mine for 2 reasons.Firstly i was an Instructor for TS Ganges Sea Cadets in Cambridge and we had a motor boat called The Sir Cloudsley-Shovell.Secondly,he was a rather colourful character and wasnt the best of Navigators.He managed to wreck his fleet on the Isles of Scilly after being warned by a Local Mariner.They never did find out how he died, but there are a few tales as to what happened to him.He has a rather fetching Marble Memorial in Westminster Abbey by Grinling Gibbons

on games like this I use one of my own names and then a random surname behind it, whatever fits the best for that period of time and the nation I'm playing.

I might have set a record on the time that it took me to even make a name, in under 5 minutes I got one, usually it takes about 30 minutes for me to decide which one I like best

• Like 1

I use to test the Half Life 2 mod Insurgency, so I decided to try and be funny and change my profile name to Outsurgent. I liked it so kept with it. I only use it for Steam games though, on WoT and WoWP (hopefully soon WoWS) I'm Wilhelmthefiendlyzombie, mainly because me and some friends all made similar names.

Edited by Outsurgent

A spelling error by a friend back in the days I played Runescape. "Adam" being my actual name, they wrote "Adma" Considering "Adma" is usually taken, Admaa was the second choice. Unfotunately people seem to think it was supposed to be "Adama". Which is new from this community actually! It didn't even cross my mind. 

• 3 years later...

o7 everyone!

i am just curious where you all get your In-Game name from and why you choosed that name.

Me for example: Roronoa => My favorite character from the anime One Piece: Roronoa Zoro (you can see on my profile pic)

:D