Game-Labs Forum

pls change timers

ScipioTortuga

The other way around this would be to make holding ports much more expensive in the first place. This has been brought up many times before. Forcing a clan or nation into choosing which ports to hold onto might be a good thing. Allowing a clan to set its own timers based on when they play is good, allowing them to hide behind times that they don't play in order to stop somebody attacking them..not so much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

we plan to give ability to change enemy timer using a resource bought for pvp marks.
Enemy can of course counter it by counter supplies. 

Let the gold, marks and spice flow.

So big nations will win the new "force PB change timers" to let their night crew if needed take a port?

Also isn´t it possible to make a limited PB timer window for a clan. So it cant set timers in periods they don't play with at least 50% of the people? That would get rid of a lot of the bogus timers.

Edited by Jesper Dahl
Content added

8 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

The other way around this would be to make holding ports much more expensive in the first place. This has been brought up many times before. Forcing a clan or nation into choosing which ports to hold onto might be a good thing. Allowing a clan to set its own timers based on when they play is good, allowing them to hide behind times that they don't play in order to stop somebody attacking them..not so much.

Exactly. PB timer abuse should be easy to counter by limiting it after clan playtime.

And I like your idea about much more expensive ports. Not every single port on the map needs to be nation/clan held.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rediii said:

players dont come, this is the problem we face 90% of the time

watch my 3 hour stream where we sailed from gustavia to bridgetown/carriacou. We found some unlucky danes and thats it.

I know only one case when PB was created by pure PVP. This happened when the Russian Empire unsuccessfully tried to kill the pirate fleet near   Somerset (11 Feb 2018). Now players is more clever and this will never repeat

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

So big nations will win the new "force PB change timers" to let their night crew if needed take a port?

Also isn´t it possible to make a limited PB timer window for a clan. So it cant set timers in periods they don't play with at least 50% of the people? That would get rid of a lot of the bogus timers.

Slight problem there for these whiners in that our 11-14 group is as large as our 18-21.

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

2 possibilities:

You know noone will attack you in that time. Therefore you know why you set the timer and should know it could be a problem in the mechanic

In this case discuss about the mechanic, say why its right or wrong

2nd case:

You know why you set the timer -> because its unlikely for your ports to get attacked

You like that and use it because of it to gain a advantage

In this case shut up, thank you :)

In fairness to Greg , he's probably aggrieved as to the suggestion that the OP wants the GB timers to alter while the French ones remain unchanged

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

In fairness to Greg , he's probably aggrieved as to the suggestion that the OP wants the GB timers to alter while the French ones remain unchanged

The french are 50/50 as their nation is partially murican, so lets not compare a purely EU compromised fleet to one that is playing in a different timezone...

Summary:

• Using PvP marks to change PB timer need more details and to test. could go either way (good/bad).
  • PB time Window 11:00-14:00 increase time by 1 hour to take into account maintenance.
  • PB timer to be set to 48-72 hour cooldown before being changeable again to avoid port battle "dodging".
  • Hostility raised by PvE to be in the window but PvP to be anytime upto "X"% with rest having to be done in PB window.
  • Shorter/longer PB time windows affect production/tax/costs of port to promote more opportuintes for Port battles. Risk/Reward.
  • More Customisation of clan owned ports to give reason to take and hold a port beyond access to a rare resource.
  • More ports need to offer something different to give people a reason to go visit/take them.

Long Verison :

Just from a pure game play point of view. Having a port battle window from11:00-14:00 which is right after maintenance is not really good. All other "PB time windows" you can sail out earlier to be ready to go just after the start timer but with the 11:00 you cant. So really, the 11:00-14:00 is more like 11:30-45 to 14:00. Extend this window by an hour would be a fair move by the Dev's. (Not even taking into account the fact that it's a bad time in general for most players).

As for the pvp mark/time shift PB suggestion. Will have to wait and see how it will be implemented and test it. It might work or it really might not.

I would suggest however that with the current system, being able to change a PB timer daily is also not good for gameplay. Once a PB time window is set it should be locked at that for 48-72 hours. This gives people time to plan around this time and not wake up to find the timer is now 3-6am when it was 20:00-23:00 the day before.

1 hour ago, rediii said:

What if there is a difference between pve and pvp hostility.

Pve hostility gets reset every day

pvp hostility doesnt get reset, only possible to be generated inside window

How about:

PvE hostility only raised during the PB window

PvP hostility raised any time of day but only upto 75% (% just a suggestion) rest would have to be done in the PB window to set the port battle or done with PvE in that time.

56 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

The other way around this would be to make holding ports much more expensive in the first place. Forcing a clan or nation into choosing which ports to hold onto might be a good thing. Allowing a clan to set its own timers based on when they play is good, allowing them to hide behind times that they don't play in order to stop somebody attacking them..not so much.

many ports don't really have a benefit to holding them, they produce nothing of worth that cant already be got elsewhere by most factions or are not in a good strategic spot to attack or defend from. Many ports never get visited and you can see that many ports make "0" tax a day. With the proposed Victory/hostility changes by admin this may well change but a suggestion would be:

Make owning a port more appealing by allowing clans to build/invest more into them. "Customize" them. Do you turn a port into a fortress that makes very little money or into a trade centre that is easier to attack:

simple version could be done with shorter or longer PB windows. short window = safer but you take a production/tax hit. Long window = production/tax Bonus.

This could at a later date be expanded upon with ability of the owning clan to upgrade Fortress defences for example to make them tougher or build a clan docks (like the clan warehouse) for clan to store ships for use by the whole clan or build a merchant quarter to generate more trade. all would cost a large amonut of gold and resources (clan effort).

Yes, this is long term, pie in the sky stuff but the base idea is valid. To get people out across the map and involved in the wider game world.

Ports are like shops on the high street. if they all sell the same thing you just go to the closest one. You need to be able to offer something different to people. This is working with the ports that produce the rare goods, copper, cartagena,teak,white oak etc.  but for the majority of the other ports, not so much.

PB timers, hostility,port battles and the ports themselves. They are all part of the same gameplay so all need looking at.

Edited by Chug

8 minutes ago, Lord Bomgordel said:

The french are 50/50 as their nation is partially murican, so lets not compare a purely EU compromised fleet to one that is playing in a different timezone...

A cursory glance at the map and checking the nation I play (France) seems to indicate questionable timers. WO and BLANC are the 2 USA time zoned clans most associate with EU night time and have theirs set to the time they are playing the game. So they're not hiding behind the clock

Edited by Vizzini
clarity

25 minutes ago, rediii said:

2 possibilities:

You know noone will attack you in that time. Therefore you know why you set the timer and should know it could be a problem in the mechanic

2nd case:

You know why you set the timer -> because its unlikely for your ports to get attacked

People with honest PB timers where they can field a PB group is completely fair. People that can´t field a PB fleet in that period are in that case just whiners. In your case it seems you just want all PBs in your time period without regard to others.

Hence the request for a clan time algorithm so clans can only set valid periods for when they actually play. Be it morning, day or night.

Edited by Jesper Dahl
Wording

11 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Saint Joseph yesterday, Swedish battle before Bridgetown PB created enough hostility in 1 battle from 0% to 100%. For sure I know other cases where PvP generated around 75% hostility.

Yeah but it only happened because it was a screening fight to avoid a PB fight.

Problem is being a defender of a PB gives you some advantages. You can screen the enemy easy, you know exactly how big the enemy fleet is so you can prepare and you have an exact time when the fight starts so you can gather your best players.

Meanwhile when stopping hostility you have to react fast and you dont know how many enemies are there and on the way.

Noone comes out to stop hostility because it is easier to defend and/or screen at the PB. Defenders need some kind of advantage when they attack enemy hostility fleet or it will never change.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rediii said:

2 possibilities:

2nd case:

Well I could set the timer to 11-14 when I know we can defend and others can't attack or I can set it to 18-21 so we can defend and others can attack.

I don't particularly want to defend ports so I'll do what suits me and my clan agrees with me.

24 minutes ago, Lord Bomgordel said:

What gives you the impression that we're a 'purely EU comprised fleet'? Most of us are sure but we have New Zealanders, Americans and South Americans in the clan.

Europeans can play during the day as we do!

Most of the French clans that are 0300-0600 are as we are, primarily EU based. At least everyone can attack us at weekends, no Europeans can attack at that time.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

You do what is in your advantage

No probldm with that

You do it to get a advantage and dont think its broken though? Anyway admin will test changing timers of ports lets see, im a bit skeptical about it

But I think permanent pvp hostility would make things way more easy and give pvp even a bit more reason

Hostility should be based solely on PvP and reset every month or after a PB. None of this AI hostility missions bullshit.

Or alternatively, make hostility generation last several days. One massive hostility mission with 15-20 odd ships over a four day period.

7 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

What gives you the impression that we're a 'purely EU comprised fleet'? Most of us are sure but we have New Zealanders, Americans and South Americans in the clan.

Most of the French clans that are 0300-0600 are as we are, primarily EU based. At least everyone can attack us at weekends, no Europeans can attack at that time.

I thought you were bullshitting because I just looked at french timers yesterday and only WO & BLANC were during Euro nighttime. Then I checked the Gulf and damn, EDR and MRF all during Euro night!

So @ScipioTortuga , I know this is an alien concept to you, but maybe you should lead by example?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Knobby said:

I thought you were bullshitting because I just looked at french timers yesterday and only WO & BLANC were during Euro nighttime. Then I checked the Gulf and damn, EDR and MRF all during Euro night!

So @ScipioTortuga , I know this is an alien concept to you, but maybe you should lead by example?

The Gulf and the ports near Bluefields have all been on silly timers for several weeks. You haven't seen me complain on the forums though!

It just means training the nightwatch to be better so they can take the fight so they switch the timers back.

2 hours ago, admin said:

we plan to give ability to change enemy timer using a resource bought for pvp marks.
Enemy can of course counter it by counter supplies. 

Let the gold, marks and spice flow.

@admin I'm not sure that will work well, think as other mention we will have the same problems with war supplies.  How about maybe making some none important deep water ports and shallow ports around the map and Bahamas restricted to small clans.  You can put a limit of clans with 10 or less or even 5 or less ports owned in those zones.  Since the Bahams are more meant for small clans and nations to fight over and new players it shouldn't be owned by mostly one nation or mega clans.  It should along with some other ports spread out over the map be reserve for small nations/clans to have.  Yes you can have multi clans take over most of it, but keeps one mega clan from owning majority of a zone meant for new lower level players and small clans to play in.

2 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I could abandon all the loss making ports and be far richer for it.

Since you own 14 of the shallow water ports, which is over half of them that might not be a bad thing. The problem is your clan and swedes own most of the ports of a zone that is meant to be for small clans and lower level players.  If most of the ports are all in one time zone that isn't very good for the majority of the server than very few folks will fight and shallows should be the fun training zone for up and comming RvR players.  Not a zone where one or two clan/nations own every ports.   

Back on Global when either US or PIrates owned very port it meant there was little to no PvP in that zone, it really needs to be a metling pot of nations and players so if you have some of those ports you don't need I would say drop them and let other clans/nations in other time zones pick them up and fight over them.  Most of us GLobal players are picking scraps and as soon as we take an off time port and put it in our prime time (which has happen) folks get all bent out of shape, but it's the only way for us to get any ports for the most part.  Yes there are some ports in US prime time on the other side of the map, but they are also no shallow ports which are great for getting folks out there in cheap ships and learning to fight and RvR.  Again back on global after the wipe We actually left the north for US to take while Pirates held south Bahamas and we fought over Nassaue with GB and US flipping it every other week.  We left it open to all and it actually made it fun to have it so folks can play.  IF a small clan tries to flip one of these ports that Swedes or Brits own I bet you they will get hit with a crazy number of screeners which will make it not fun at all.

2 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

^That right there.

The French, Pirates and Prussians want shallow port battles? Attack Nassau, Deadmans Cay, Bimini etc...

Oh you mean every port that isn't owned by the clan with over half the ports in that area....I mean what is it like 14 ports all owned by one clan in a veyr early restricted time zone? WHy take ports from a nation with very ports as is (the pirates) and well Nassaue I can just see how many screeners will show up for that one going against one of the mega clans lol

Bimini was actually taken by a clan that waited for the weekend and did a flip when most players can be on for most of the time zones by what I under stand (mid US  time eve for EU folks I believe).  So it's port time wasn't very restricted.  Hell I can't even remember who US took that port off of now.  Was it the swedes and it was pretty much a no show other than one or two guys.

Just now, Grundgemunkey said:

maybe i dont understand irony ... but isnt  it a fact that we have people on the forums  whining about 1100-1400 pb timers .... between 1100-1400

maybe some prefer to fight forum battles ..

Maybe folks are posting from phones, work computer or what not.  For me I just walked in from my 3rd shift job, but others might be posting from there lunch breaks or just getting on in the morning.  It's not like I can't post and I do a lot from my phone.

1 minute ago, Grundgemunkey said:

maybe i dont understand irony ... but isnt  it a fact that we have people on the forums  whining about 1100-1400 pb timers .... between 1100-1400

maybe some prefer to fight forum battles ..

Or maybe because you can acces forum from mobile or anywhere with interruption which can't be said about playing the actual game especially when prepping for or participating in a PB.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Greg, don't act like the fleet that would have to defend you shitty timed ports is one that isn't purely EU based with maybe some US or w/e players that stay up till crazy late. Nitpicking at it's finest... I would like to see solely your clan fill a port battle, only then your argument holds any value.

Edited by Lord Bomgordel

8 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Maybe folks are posting from phones, work computer or what not.  For me I just walked in from my 3rd shift job, but others might be posting from there lunch breaks or just getting on in the morning.  It's not like I can't post and I do a lot from my phone.

fair comment

9 minutes ago, Lord Bomgordel said:

Greg, don't act like the fleet that would have to defend you shitty timed ports is one that isn't purely EU based with maybe some US or w/e players that stay up till crazy late. Nitpicking at it's finest... I would like to see solely your clan fill a port battle, only then your argument holds any value.

EXILE has only come the Bahamas twice to my knowledge, one time, the person in question forgot their guns and the second time we knew the PB would be empty. I listen to the opinions of those that show up to the PB's in the Bahamas and those that do overwhelmingly support the timers being as they are.

1 minute ago, Otto Kohl said:

Generally im strongly against using timers to avoid PB's - its gay.

to be fair pb timers are set to avoid multi flips .. rather than pbs at all ... easy way to solve it remove timers but a lock  attacks on nations that are defending ports so you dont have to defend more than 1 port at once  wiith ,aybe an hours grace either side