Game-Labs Forum

Boring map

Imagine yourself a new player, first thing you do after being plopped into a ship and doing all the tutorials, you take a peak at the map to check what's going on. What do you see?

GASe85u.jpg

A whole lot of boring nothing. How are we suppose to derive information from this? According to this map there is nothing going on in the world besides 1 measly PB. There needs to be some life brought to OW and it starts here.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 3

As a newcomer to the OW the first days out were stunning. No map (!). Discovering the coastline and looking at all the details. And was with the old terrain model :)

Old salty veteran dogs have seen it all. They are unimpressed.

That being said a lot could be added, true.

• Like 4

Just now, Toto Cabbage said:

Nobody want to mindlessly grind hostility.

? how does this relate to "discovery" points in the map and whatever "life" can be brought ?

reckon not everything has to be related to conquest / pvp...

Just now, Hethwill said:

? how does this relate to "discovery" points in the map ?

I think Toto agrees, according to the map the only thing there IS to do is grind hostility for a PB. Like that's all that's available on the map information-wise

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Imagine yourself a new player, first thing you do after being plopped into a ship and doing all the tutorials, you take a peak at the map to check what's going on. What do you see?

GASe85u.jpg

A whole lot of boring nothing. How are we suppose to derive information from this? According to this map there is nothing going on in the world besides 1 measly PB. There needs to be some life brought to OW and it starts here.

Everything is boring after 2000 hours. Even the most beautiful woman can become boring after 2000 hours.
Please do not project your jaded view on new players. The map could be boring for a veteran yes we agree but it only happens after a while. But the game never promised to entertain the players forever.

Regarding the map
we can remove it, if players dont like it and find it boring. We went the way of open development and listen to players who asked to add the map. I am still 100% against the map in game. It should be players responsibility to learn the surroundings and its fun to chart your way yourself. like real captains - on paper..

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Everything is boring after 2000 hours. Even the most beautiful woman can become boring after 2000 hours.
Please do not project your jaded view on new players. The map could be boring for a veteran yes we agree but it only happens after a while. But the game never promised to entertain the players forever.

Regarding the map
we can remove it, if players dont like it and find it boring. We went the way of open development and listen to players who asked to add the map. I am still 100% against the map in game. It should be players responsibility to learn the surroundings and its fun to chart your way yourself. like real captains - on paper..

I played over 3000 hours! the problem is that the game is too much work! the old system with the repairs was not that time consuming

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Christoph said:

I played over 3000 hours! the problem is that the game is too much work! the old system with the repairs was not that time consuming

are we playing the same game? the game already throws everything into your throat except pvp and mods.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, admin said:

Regarding the map

That would be awesome. Don't forget to get rid of GPS first ;-)

You'd be surprised about how easy it is to draw a map just for navigation, especially without leeway in open world :-)

This world we already know, we can see it on sattelitepictures. There would be no point in removing the map from game. In an unknown universe, i think it could be a great feature. The 'Age of Discovery' wouldn't last long anyway, as many people will share their maps.

3 hours ago, admin said:

Regarding the map

I still want to sail to europe or at least the US west coast :D

Just for comparison lets take a look at the E.V.E map

8uEUyZT.png

I look at this and see fun to be had, things to do, life in the world. I get all the information I need for a play session right here without jumping through any hoops (Keep in mine this page here is a brand new feature to E.V.E and its helped me immensely get into the game.)

GASe85u.jpg

Now look at the NA map, almost no information here besides where the missions I pull are. Nothing about OW combat, events, traffic, etc. It's just unknown. Are we really going to out due E.V.E in terms of un-accessibility for players? There's plenty of information from port logs that you can give without giving away the krabby patty secret formula. Things like number of players that have been in port today, general traffic observed by the port's officers of the watch. Commerce information from the dock master, players sunk in the area, hostilities could also show on the map instead of just in letters.

Lots of things that could be added within the parameter of Naval realism. Otherwise the map isn't doing you any favors winning over players (or keeping them in)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Just for comparison lets take a look at the E.V.E map

8uEUyZT.png

I look at this and see fun to be had, things to do, life in the world. I get all the information I need for a play session right here without jumping through any hoops (Keep in mine this page here is a brand new feature to E.V.E and its helped me immensely get into the game.)

GASe85u.jpg

Now look at the NA map, almost no information here besides where the missions I pull are. Nothing about OW combat, events, traffic, etc. It's just unknown. Are we really going to out due E.V.E in terms of un-accessibility for players? There's plenty of information from port logs that you can give without giving away the krabby patty secret formula. Things like number of players that have been in port today, general traffic observed by the port's officers of the watch. Commerce information from the dock master, players sunk in the area, hostilities could also show on the map instead of just in letters.

Lots of things that could be added within the parameter of Naval realism. Otherwise the map isn't doing you any favors winning over players (or keeping them in)

New UI is incoming....

Lets hold some judgement till then.

6 hours ago, admin said:

Regarding the map

Personally I enjoy having the map, but I would be happy with removing our ability to see f11 coordinates. Right now lots of new players don't realize they can use them, and it gives a rather unfair advantage to veterans, who can find their exact position with an external tool, and call for reinforcements. 

1 hour ago, EliteDelta said:

Personally I enjoy having the map, but I would be happy with removing our ability to see f11 coordinates. Right now lots of new players don't realize they can use them, and it gives a rather unfair advantage to veterans, who can find their exact position with an external tool, and call for reinforcements. 

f11 coordinates aren't needed to find your position as long as there are port distances on the trader tool that you can triangulate with.  I've never done this f11 coordinate thing, and between the protractor and the trader tool port distances I never get lost. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)
  • Like 1

While I do love Eve Online and have in the past referenced it for possible suggestions to be put into NA.

I just don't see them happening.

but a Map is essential, I am with @koiz... will withhold judgement and wait to see how the new UI spices up the experience.

Edited by Teutonic