Game-Labs Forum

Is leeway still ingame?

z4ys

Question

7 answers to this question

I read on some patchnotes they reduced it / toned it down, because it was a bit too much. Removing it completely would be pretty much a waste of the effort of implementing it in the first place... but yeah seems to be barely noticable, if at all.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Just today i was sailing an indiaman and while fighting a tbrig i experienced no leeway on my indiaman. So is it taken out of the game?

leeway degrees were reduced to correspond to more historical leeway figures. (for example in a book about chapman, there are specific leeway figures on wasa).
it is noticeable at slow speeds, but is less profound (not 20-30 degrees like before)

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, admin said:

leeway degrees were reduced to correspond to more historical leeway figures. (for example in a book about chapman, there are specific leeway figures on wasa).
it is noticeable at slow speeds, but is less profound (not 20-30 degrees like before)

Its nice that it is based on real data. But our ships are not based on real world behavior. We turn much faster our guns reload much faster the game is much faster. Its not a sim its a simcade game. Therefore the effect leeway has to be much bigger in order to scale with the rest of the game.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, z4ys said:

Its nice that it is based on real data. But our ships are not based on real world behavior. We turn much faster our guns reload much faster the game is much faster. Its not a sim its a simcade game. Therefore the effect leeway has to be much bigger in order to scale with the rest of the game.

You said it all, the game has become a simcade game over time, and probably was not devs first intention. But if they turn it more sim... all hell will be set loose, alot of carebears will complain... sadly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Landsman said:

Sorry for slight off-topic but what actually happens if you get pushed ashore by leeway? Is the ship instantly destroyed or simply stranded / unable to move?

When leeway was new a few weeks back I was getting blown backwards while turning though the wind, and as soon as my rudder touched bottom I was stuck.  My ship could rotate around its center but its speed was stuck at zero, and my ship started getting blown over on its side so the AI had a nice shot at my belly while my guns were pointed at the sky.  I suicide-boarded the AI ship to end my misery.