Game-Labs Forum

PvP Rank

So as we all know, we need more incentives for PvP and at the same time inexperienced or simply bad players have a hard time getting into PvP because they are farmed by the seasoned PvP veterans. What if we had PvP Ranks?

PvP marks keep losing value since they get farmed with alt accounts and books for PvP marks are pretty much garbage across the board and the ships can't get bonus perm slots or inbuilt trims making them heavily overpriced except for maybe Wasa. All you really need PvP marks for is Navy Hull, Navy structure and ... ? Where is the incentive now? We are back to promoting carebearing in the form of RNG crafting - Nice.

The idea would be, that you get xp for this rank only by sinking other players and the xp you get depends on the ship you sank, the difference between your PvP rank xp and the one of your target and the most on how high the PvP rank of your target was. In the combat news it should show the PvP ranks of both players. This way noobs can rank up by killing noobs but veterans barely gain any rank from sealclubbing but if you kill a experienced / high rank PvP player you gain loads of rank XP and once you reach a certain rank only players of your calibre will give you any meaningful rank xp to progress further. Also you can see from combat news who is sealclubbing and who has the balls to actually play in his league.

Reward for higher PvP ranks would be special flags / ensigns, paints, displayed ranks or custom crew uniforms etc. ... The rewards for reaching higher tiers should be only of cosmetic nature, give no real advantage over others and be account bound / untradable - Prestige. You want it? Gid gud and work for it.

Edited by Landsman
  • Like 5

Given the machine doesn't read faces nor hearts - aka. doesn't know who is a pro pvper or not - we would need a clean slate wipe so we all start from zero given that Naval rank is meaningless !?

Or am I misunderstanding the proposed mechanic ?

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Given the machine doesn't read faces nor hearts - aka. doesn't know who is a pro pvper or not - we would need a clean slate wipe so we all start from zero given that Naval rank is meaningless !?

Yes, everyone starts with 0 PvP rank xp and it has nothing to do with the normal ranks like Master and Commander, Rear Admiral etc. that you can get in PvE... So Liq senpai would be the same rank 0 as some new player first but he would probably rank up pretty fast. No wipe or anything needed at all.

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

If you think I'm going to keep playing the game if I have to grind away AGAIN...think again.

"cosmetics".

I would give this suggestion a try, but make it seasonal so for example have the season for 1 month, top 5 on leaderboard in that season get purple reward, top 6-25 yellow reward, and so the list goes on. Would need some more cosmetics though, but could add varieties of flags, sail colors( not neon yellow) paints etc

21 hours ago, seanjo said:

If you think I'm going to keep playing the game if I have to grind away AGAIN...think again.

Doesn't sound to me like you read the OP... the rank is prestige and gives you no direct upgrades or advantage, so why would you have to grind it????!? It gives incentive to PvP and shows you how experienced a player is in PvP, while hitting low PvP rank players isn't very rewarding for top dogs, if they want to rank up. So in a way this also prevents seal clubbing and hitting on PvE players a bit...

Edited by Landsman

4 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Will the same people not farm PvP ranks the same way they farm PvP marks?

Sure if you find some of the better PvP players that lets you sink him for hours on end, then you can farm it to get some cosmetic items :lol: But it would take a long time to hit higher ranks and people tend to know who are the better PvP players... would be easy to find and ban extreme farmers...

You would first have to sink a lot of ships with your alt to rank it up so it gives good xp and then you would have to sink even more ships to farm your alt and I am guessing it would be easy for the devs to see this?? 

They could also make it so you lose PvP rank ( but not the rewards ) if you sink but this wouldn't promote PvP as much...

Edited by Landsman

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Where does the ship BR enters in this system ? A "pro" in a schooner will not be able to engage a "newcomer" in a Trinc ?

No man, this rank has NOTHING to do with other game mechanics at all. All it is for is give incentive and long term goals for PvP. It's not like people don't know who the better PvP players are anyways.... it would simply make it more official.

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

Why would a "get no marks" situation change anything ? It is the enemy, it must be sunk :)

Well, they don't have to remove marks for this but I am sure this rank system would promote PvP and fights between veterans / the top dogs that usually pray on the weak for easy marks... it sure would be more of an incentive than useless PvP marks to me and while I play for the sake of PvP itself like you say, it is only possible if you have other players to fight in the OW.... and preferably skilled ones. The other day I made a trip in OW again and all I found was Basic cutters, a trader brig and people running in fir/fir ships... not hard to imagine why the steam rating is complete shit :(

Instead of making it a rank how about PvP Reputation.  We really could use a reputation system.  You can have good and bad reputation with other nations.  IF your trade rep is good enough you can even enter the port and trade there without smuggler flag (still need trade ship), but if it's really really bad than you can't even use the smuggler flag to get into ports you done nothing but killed that nations traders.

As for the PvP Reputaion if you kill a player with a high reputation yours can go up.  Maybe have certain paints and comsestic things unlock when your levels of certain reputations are reached.Just about every MMO out there that has multi factions and RvR has a reputation system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

As for the PvP Reputaion if you kill a player with a high reputation yours can go up.  Maybe have certain paints and comsestic things unlock when your levels of certain reputations are reached.

So basically what I suggested but you call it reputation instead of rank?

I really dont like this idea.... I think the system at the moment is better.

The point that really should get fixed is if you loose a fight in a battle you should also get PvP Marks for the damage youve done against your enemy...

Player X  vs Player Y

Player X wins and get 10 PvP Marks

Player Y loose and get for example 3 PvP Marks for doing 60 % damage

The Values are examples... in this example youve get max 50% of the PvP Marks that the winner earn... in this in relation to your damge...

Would mean if he's sinking too you get 5 PvP marks if youve done 20% dmg youve earn 1 PvP Mark

20 hours ago, Landsman said:

Doesn't sound to me like the read the OP... the rank is prestige and gives you no direct upgrades or advantage, so why would you have to grind it????!? It gives incentive to PvP and shows you how experienced a player is in PvP, while hitting low PvP rank players isn't very rewarding for top dogs, if they want to rank up. So in a way this also prevents seal clubbing and hitting on PvE players a bit...

I think I misunderstood it...

3 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

people will still farm it like they do for marks

Not sure how that matters for cosmetic items that are not tradeable? And as I said farming this would be much harder and easier to find from the data than farming PvP marks and we have PvP marks already in game, so.... ? Farming this rank would give you less advantage ( because it doesn't give any direct advantage at all ) than farming your normal rear admiral rank that at least gives you more crew. If you see some hello kittying nobody with high PvP rank and the cosmetics, everyone would know they farmed it anyways... community is so tiny, it is easy to find and report these people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the Kidd said:

The point that really should get fixed is if you loose a fight in a battle you should also get PvP Marks for the damage youve done against your enemy...

To make farming PvP marks even easier? Yes, please. 

Not saying it is obvious you are a farmer but it is quite obvious.