Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
SKurj

Resource spawning.. woods etc

Recommended Posts

Late last week I happened to come across the 'spawn' time of one of the shipbuilding woods.  It has spawned at the same time past the hour ever since (at least while i have been paying attention)...  This creates a situation where a player can monopolize on the production of a port for that particular item.

 

If possible I'd suggest tossing in some randomness, either at reset each day or every hour... such as may spawn any time between 40 minutes and 150 minutes....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monopolize? It's the only way normal players get a chance to buy them ... Not everybody has an alt to put up a contract?

I do agree that the spawntimes should change every day. But not get random during that day.

For a normal 'smuggler' it still means that he's stuck waiting for the next spawn in an enemy port. He doesn't know the spawntime the first time he sees the resource in stock and has to hope that he refreshes at the right time, and perhaps even miss the second spawn because somebody else beat him too it. You can sit there for hours sometimes, seeing nothing. Eventually you just have to move elsewhere and/or comeback later to try again. He doesn't sail into enemy waters to sail back for an hour (or several hours) with only 154 precious logs (and this happens frequently, it's a blind gamble almost).

When he does get lucky ... there is only so much he can carry, and only so many hours he has time to just sit there waiting doing virtually nothing, hoping for the scraps that may end up in stock, hoping that no contracts get put up. I don't see how a player could 'monopolize' a resource in that fashion, especially considering how timeconsuming it is. If anything, contracts for those resources have a higher risk of monopolization?

With a full server, the option to buy rare resources from stock will be completely unviable/unrealistic, there will be contracts up all the time. So, how will that solo smuggler 'monopolize' anything then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Eyesore said:

Monopolize? It's the only way normal players get a chance to buy them ... Not everybody has an alt to put up a contract?

I do agree that the spawntimes should change every day. But not get random during that day.

For a normal 'smuggler' it still means that he's stuck waiting for the next spawn in an enemy port. He doesn't know the spawntime the first time he sees the resource in stock and has to hope that he refreshes at the right time, and perhaps even miss the second spawn because somebody else beat him too it. You can sit there for hours sometimes, seeing nothing. Eventually you just have to move elsewhere and/or comeback later to try again. He doesn't sail into enemy waters to sail back for an hour (or several hours) with only 154 precious logs (and this happens frequently, it's a blind gamble almost).

When he does get lucky ... there is only so much he can carry, and only so many hours he has time to just sit there waiting doing virtually nothing, hoping for the scraps that may end up in stock, hoping that no contracts get put up. I don't see how a player could 'monopolize' a resource in that fashion, especially considering how timeconsuming it is. If anything, contracts for those resources have a higher risk of monopolization?

With a full server, the option to buy rare resources from stock will be completely unviable/unrealistic, there will be contracts up all the time. So, how will that solo smuggler 'monopolize' anything then?

The smuggler stands very little chance as it is (not a mechanic i agree with) But as it stands I can teleport in and put up a contract with 1 minute to go before the item drops, and can do it for just the amount that drops minimizing my losses if someone else happens to get there just after me and win the production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why it makes a difference if you can put up a contract? I'm probably not understanding or missing something?

Isn't that a normal biddingwar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so long as there are contracts up non-nationals can get nothing.  As in I don't have to travel, i can just port over and put up my contract.  Smugglers have to travel there and hope there are no contracts, a more pointless, time wasting task doesn't exist in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The markets should not sell to passive contracts.  Only players should sell to contracts.  If you want the product you should be in the game and in that port to get it, not screwing everyone else by throwing around the ridiculous $ some players have on buy contracts.  I'd also greatly prefer if every player saw different market levels of resources in their own market "instance", so that everyone has a chance to buy resources instead of just playing the hourly sniping game or seeing a wall of sky high buy contracts.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SKurj said:

Late last week I happened to come across the 'spawn' time of one of the shipbuilding woods.  It has spawned at the same time past the hour ever since (at least while i have been paying attention)...  This creates a situation where a player can monopolize on the production of a port for that particular item.

 

If possible I'd suggest tossing in some randomness, either at reset each day or every hour... such as may spawn any time between 40 minutes and 150 minutes....  


Resources can arrive or be brought to port by traders and haulers every hour. Some times haulers delay, sometimes they miss shipments whatsoever. Some supplies are stable and arrive like a watch, some supplies are not. 
 

So yes you are partially correct - you can try to buy all from the the market at the expense of others (who bid lower) = player driven economy, but these purchases are happening because resource spawns at certain time. 
Also you cannot monopolize the market - monopoly means others cannot enter the market. In this case you CAN enter the market and just bid higher. If you bid significantly higher you will scare away the competitors. But its still not a monopoly because anyone can bid higher than you and get the supply.

 

If you really encountered a resource that spawns once a day at the exact time pm me its name and city in private to investigate- because most likely it is a bug. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a monopoly when someone with a lot of time on their hands simply teleports all over the place to raise the price, then crafts a few rare mods to sell and ends up with enough money to continue because he's already cornered the market there will be buyers. A normal person who plays the game a couple of hours a day can't possibly compete with this.

It's not player driven when stuff just magically appears in the store every hour.  Look at the retarded prices of copper platings/cartagena caulkings and who's selling them, a couple of the same people over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:


Resources can arrive or be brought to port by traders and haulers every hour. Some times haulers delay, sometimes they miss shipments whatsoever. Some supplies are stable and arrive like a watch, some supplies are not. 
 

So yes you are partially correct - you can try to buy all from the the market at the expense of others (who bid lower) = player driven economy, but these purchases are happening because resource spawns at certain time. 
Also you cannot monopolize the market - monopoly means others cannot enter the market. In this case you CAN enter the market and just bid higher. If you bid significantly higher you will scare away the competitors. But its still not a monopoly because anyone can bid higher than you and get the supply.

 

If you really encountered a resource that spawns once a day at the exact time pm me its name and city in private to investigate- because most likely it is a bug. 

@admin

Please make all woodtypes craftable!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:

Also you cannot monopolize the market - monopoly means others cannot enter the market. In this case you CAN enter the market and just bid higher. If you bid significantly higher you will scare away the competitors. But its still not a monopoly because anyone can bid higher than you and get the supply.

True but let's assume you don't have any alt and only 1  white oak ports available for example where you can bid... now people will outbid you all the time with +1 gold offers and let's not forget about the people who only play this game to farm as many NA dollars as possible @FRAN for whatever reason. It's fairly easy to amount ludicrous amounts of gold and the PvE Kings don't hesitate to use them... now imagine you are a new player with no alt and want to build T/WO ships....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SKurj said:

Late last week I happened to come across the 'spawn' time of one of the shipbuilding woods.  It has spawned at the same time past the hour ever since (at least while i have been paying attention)...  This creates a situation where a player can monopolize on the production of a port for that particular item.

 

If possible I'd suggest tossing in some randomness, either at reset each day or every hour... such as may spawn any time between 40 minutes and 150 minutes....  

You can "monopolise" anyway by having a contract with the highest bid.

 

Edited by seanjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, admin said:


Resources can arrive or be brought to port by traders and haulers every hour. Some times haulers delay, sometimes they miss shipments whatsoever. Some supplies are stable and arrive like a watch, some supplies are not. 
 

So yes you are partially correct - you can try to buy all from the the market at the expense of others (who bid lower) = player driven economy, but these purchases are happening because resource spawns at certain time. 
Also you cannot monopolize the market - monopoly means others cannot enter the market. In this case you CAN enter the market and just bid higher. If you bid significantly higher you will scare away the competitors. But its still not a monopoly because anyone can bid higher than you and get the supply.

 

If you really encountered a resource that spawns once a day at the exact time pm me its name and city in private to investigate- because most likely it is a bug. 

As long as NPC prices, demand and production (esp. of woods) does not react to player demand, the economy part of the game will remain a joke.

Especially hardcore games will always be able to control the market as it is right now. They can "farm" the resssource spawns at unpleasant hours by placing higher contracts with their ALTs.

 

Loosening the restriction of 10 contracts per player is in my oppinion a no-brainer decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be interesting to know whether the increasing prices for i.e. teak and white oak are due to supply not meeting demand or due to too much gold in the game leading to people hoarding ressources. I suspect the latter to be the case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 3:32 PM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

The markets should not sell to passive contracts.  Only players should sell to contracts.  If you want the product you should be in the game and in that port to get it, not screwing everyone else by throwing around the ridiculous $ some players have on buy contracts.

Didn't know this actually worked.  I thought the AI only filled contracts on port-produced commodities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Marcus Corvus said:

Didn't know this actually worked.  I thought the AI only filled contracts on port-produced commodities.

Players can fill contracts, or if the port produces the good, the NPC can also fill them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, Suppenkelle said:

Would be interesting to know whether the increasing prices for i.e. teak and white oak are due to supply not meeting demand or due to too much gold in the game leading to people hoarding ressources. I suspect the latter to be the case.

 

Based on the quantities being bought on contract, it seems to be both. Of course, part of it is players' needed to be the first one to have their contract filled, instead of being patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BPHick said:

Players can fill contracts, or if the port produces the good, the NPC can also fill them.

I knew this.  I have probably  misunderstood the comment about passive contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×