Game-Labs Forum

On the skills

we definitely said and stand by this - there will be no "magic" skills in the game

but there will be some passive skills and perks you will be able to train and allocate (especially for your officers and crew)

on active skills we are undecided - the UI for sailing ship is complex enough - adding more skills will make it worse

I like the idea of training our crews, I like it even more, if our favorite crewmen have a chance of dying in battle.    I'm not a big fan of allocating exp points, that's a real immersion killer for me.   For example,  If I spend my own money on powder and shot and use that powder and shot to exercise my crew, I would want them to get better at gunnery, I wouldn't want to earn an exp point to allocate to sailing skill.

I would think luck as well as any other *magic* skill or passive has no place at all in a skill based game. The very idea that a battle comes down to a random chance generator makes a mockery of wanting fights determined by any kind of ability of the players.

By adding a trinket that gives you a passive bonus to crew skill or moral or anything just ensures that people have to go out and grind x mission to get x trinket and that is most certainly a slippery slope to start going down.

• Like 2