Game-Labs Forum
admin

Unequal battles

1 minute ago, qw569 said:

thanks for the answer

I correct understand that 3,46% from 100 battles equal 3.
Look at the experience of Wargaming. Nickname change cost 2500 gold

with the Forge Papers DLC they really do need to do a name change token too.  I have a few chars I might want to change names of later without having to delte them.  Specialy if I'm changing nations why would I want to keep the same name for some one that I made to play a role in that nation?

• Like 4

So @admin i tried your challenge. I saw an Essex in store and equipped it like this (sadly no slots yet):

70CF392D7ACD637D62B3727EFAEB0FA5F77250E5

Sailed to Christiansted, and the result was this:

5069E6D4D20813F010CFBF75DB455F5B3FF9D3ED

I dont see how sailing to a capital for some pvp will ever result in a different outcome. I nearly sank the Ingermanland at some point (15% structure) but my ship was too slow to finish him, especially with 3 Bellonas around me.

So i invested

• the time needed to capture an AI Essex (or the money if bought from store)
  • money for the medium cannons
  • money for repairs

and my payout is

• 1793XP for the Essex

So yeah, next time ill have one more knowledge slot, but that wont change anything. I cant make my masts invincible, increasing HP does only prolong the inevitable and mast thickness i can only increase to an acceptable level with kirimati masts or elite french rig. The only thing saving me from ganks liek this is a well equipped ship with speed mods. This 11kn Essex will most likely not see a kill in 10 matches.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

That assumes our PB is so chicken they run from a battle before even knowing the person's name. Which they are, so it's a problem that I can see @Liq @rediii @King of Crowns or @Toto Cabbage 's names when all I do is avoid these players like the plague. That doesn't build skill or good retort. You shouldn't be scared of going into battle and player names do that.

Just like in real life though certain officers where feared in battle and even some engagements where made to avoid those officers, but they knew them when they faced them and it wasn't a surprise....OH LOOK IT"S GHANGIS KHAN in this battle.  No you knew a head of time he was there and in that battle.

As for the fear thing we are going have to work on that with some players.  Might never change some of the, but I"m sure there are a few that will get courage and willing to learn.  The funny thing is half those you listed I fought and wasn't afraid or have sunk (Liq's got me before. I think me and KoC are pretty even).  Than again some folks prob are scared of my name just cause of history and my old GLOBAL clan as a pirate, but I honestly suck at most 1 vs 1 just know the game mechanics very well and work well with my team mates.  Once folks find out these so called elites aren't exactly that elite or can be sunk they shouldn't fear them.  

I don´t know if this has been already proposed:

In the case of suffering the loss of your ship due to ganking (measured as gankers BR/your BR and having been attacked, let´s say, 3/1) you do not lose your ship, it should reappear in the exact same trim (maybe with no mods) and cannons in your nearest outpost. This feature would remove the worst fear, that of loosing a beloved ship and to have to grind to get a new one.

Edited by Red Dragon 13

19 minutes ago, Havelock said:

and my payout

But Jesper got how many precious marks from that silly-gank?

---

I wonder if people would pile-on like that if they progressed 2.1% towards a fictional pvp rank book grind while you (BR multiplier) progressed 43%? 

Or zero marks for anyone in a fight above some given BR ratio while you were handed 5 as thanks for going in like a fool and offering content to others?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, admin said:

removing the name removes fear - fear is the main killer in battles. Soliders should accept the fact that they are already dead.

5 players will see reverse and wont attack due to fear
5 players will see Danish Enemy Player and will attack and sink him 

So my prediction pvp will increase by at least 3.46%

It ll drop even further.

The more aggressive an enemy will look, the more expert he'll considered... The more likely the casual player will avoid the Battle.

@admin replying to ideas (not only mine) for reworking perms/books stackability no?? Banned?

16 hours ago, vazco said:

If I'm better, a weaker player should get a better prize for sinking me.

This sounds interesting as concept.

In general, making battles easier for people will bore the same people sooner or later once they improved their skills.

The golden way is somewhere in the middle; you don't want to make battle too easy for denying the challenge and you don't want to make battle too hard for frustrating others.

44 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

That assumes our PB is so chicken they run from a battle before even knowing the person's name. Which they are, so it's a problem that I can see @Liq @rediii @King of Crowns or @Toto Cabbage 's names and all I do is avoid these players like the plague. That doesn't build skill or good retort. You shouldn't be scared of going into battle and player names do that.

I should rightfully avoid risking a costly ship against a more experienced player on a ship probably better geared than mine too.

I dropped some reasonable thoughts. Now we are moving totally out of target IMO

4 minutes ago, jodgi said:

But Jesper got how many precious marks from that silly-gank?

---

I wonder if people would pile-on like that if they progressed 2.1% towards a fictional pvp rank book grind while you (BR multiplier) progressed 43%? 

Or zero marks for anyone in a fight above some given BR ratio while you were handed 5 as thanks for going in like a fool and offering content to others?

in my opinion only BR ratio doesnt solve it. (pre BR balance) it was easy to kill a surprise with 2 princes thats almost same BR. Player ratio should be a part of the calc too.

• Like 1

For alot of casual players seeing a well known name in ow reduces their morale by 50% before the battle has even started, which means half are ready to flee at that point already.

This is why outside a capital you will see certain nations needing a 3/1 4/1 or even 5/1 advantage before they even think of engaging.

What is in a name?Quite a lot in this game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tac said:

For alot of casual players seeing a well known name in ow reduces their morale by 50% before the battle has even started, which means half are ready to flee at that point already.

This is why outside a capital you will see certain nations needing a 3/1 4/1 or even 5/1 advantage before they even think of engaging.

What is in a name?Quite a lot in this game.

Heth always gets focused because of his green name :D

• Like 1

Just now, Licinio Chiavari said:

I should rightfully avoid risking a costly ship against a more experienced player on a ship probably better geared than mine too.

I dropped some reasonable thoughts. Now we are moving totally out of target IMO

It's unreasonable fear. You won't get better fighting no one better than you, and you shouldn't sail what you can't afford to lose.

If names carry any sort of respect then don't let them be seen. Imagine the face on some of these guys when they fight a skilled PVPer and see their name on the killmail. You'd never thought you could beat someone until you actually do.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuntius Mortis said:

Please don't remove names from OW! It would kill that personal playstile relying on player interaction for me. Please don't.

What if you had to hail players and they hail you back to see names/rank info. Wouldn't that add more player interaction as apposed to just looking at the info?

I have the option to withhold information from you or give it. That's more personal interaction than it just letting it show to everyone.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

What if you had to hail players and they hail you back to see names/rank info. Wouldn't that add more player interaction as apposed to just looking at the info?

I have the option to withhold information from you or give it. That's more interaction than it just letting it show to everyone.

What happens when i dont give info? Can anyone attack me? or do you want to introduce pvp and pve flag? That would be bad in my opinion. 5 guys would sail with activated pvp flag (Moscalb, liq, etc) rest would just be pve flagged.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

It's unreasonable fear. You won't get better fighting no one better than you, and you shouldn't sail what you can't afford to lose.

If names carry any sort of respect then don't let them be seen. Imagine the face on some of these guys when they fight a skilled PVPer and see their name on the killmail. You'd never thought you could beat someone until you actually do.

"I" wasnt referring to me. In general as I joined and joined fights I should avoid economic-wise

Yea, I guess I completely disagree with removing players names....you want less experienced players to engage in more PvP without addressing any of the underlying broken shit?  So we don't want to level the playing field when it comes to equipment and books and we want everyone to remain anonymous as well? This will lead to newer players hating the game even more when they get absolutely trashed and have zero idea WTF just happened to them. Why are some so damn afraid to let everyone have access to the same advantages they have? A skilled player should not be against facing equally geared opponents....they still have the skill and experience advantage. Have not heard a compelling argument for this yet.....people say "oh the gear isn't important" well then if it's not important why not give access to it to everyone? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

Yea, I guess I completely disagree with removing players names....you want less experienced players to engage in more PvP without addressing any of the underlying broken shit?  So we don't want to level the playing field when it comes to equipment and books and we want everyone to remain anonymous as well? This will lead to newer players hating the game even more when they get absolutely trashed and have zero idea WTF just happened to them. Why are some so damn afraid to let everyone have access to the same advantages they have? A skilled player should not be against facing equally geared opponents....they still have the skill and experience advantage. Have not heard a compelling argument for this yet.....people say "oh the gear isn't important" well then if it's not important why not give access to it to everyone? 

Or remove it ;-)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, z4ys said:

What happens when i dont give info? Can anyone attack me? or do you want to introduce pvp and pve flag? That would be bad in my opinion. 5 guys would sail with activated pvp flag (Moscalb, liq, etc) rest would just be pve flagged.

Yes, I mean how is that any different than what we have now? If you see a dutch player sailing towards you and you hail him and he doesn't hail back, you should expect to be attacked, name doesn't matter.

Or if he does hail you but he's under a false flag, then take a look at the name and see if you know him from another nation and prepare for a fight if you know he's a spy.

Idk why we would need PVP flags for this, not that big of a change if you ask me.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

1 minute ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Yes, I mean how is that any different than what we have now? If you see a dutch player sailing towards you and you hail him and he doesn't hail back, you should expect to be attacked, name doesn't matter.

Or if he does hail you but he's under a false flag, then take a look at the name and see if you know him from another nation and prepare for a fight if you know he's a spy.

Idk why we would need PVP flags for this, not that big of a change.

Might have got you wrong. I thought hail reveals nation and if player or AI. So by not hailing back enemy couldnt see what nation and therefore not able to attack. And that would mean we would see no fights at all ;-)

Just now, z4ys said:

Might have got you wrong. I thought hail reveals nation and if player or AI. So by not hailing back enemy couldnt see what nation and therefore not able to attack. And that would mean we would see no fights at all ;-)

No no no, the players flag should be on his ship on OW like it is in battle. Only the name/rank/other minor info would be revealed in the hail. Not like back then where people were sailing around in ghost ships under no flag, that would be awful.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 2