Game-Labs Forum

OUTLAW FACTION (aka OS PVPers nation): a proposal

Whilst I am basically a carebear, I recognize that some aspects of the game can hinder the playstyle of the most skilled OS PVPers out there. In order to resolve this problem, it could be possible maybe to create a "rogue faction" with particular and specific mechanics that could actually become the home of all the elite OS PVPer that are not much interested in RvR and that now are no happy about the state of the PVP.

My opinion is that such kind of faction should have some peculiar aspects

1) totally clan based faction, with outlaw clans red to each other;

2) the access to the faction shall be open to players that have already reached at least Post captain rank (I use English rank as an example);

3) the outlaws have the possibility to attack players inside safe zones, with no reinforcement, but only if

- the attacking outlaw is in a 5th rate (or lower) ship

- the attacked player is at least Post captain (I use English rank as an example) or above AND is sailing a 5th rate or superior ship (also trader ships count)

4) if an outlaw attacks a trader ships (both in the safe zone or outside) in case he sinks the trader he will get no PVP mark, BUT .... only outlaws can get a ransom from the trader in case they tag them. At the beginning of the battle between an outlaw and a player in a trader ship a personal chat opens and parts can negotiate the ransom, if the negotiate succeeds a ransom is paid and the trader can go free (with a recently killed tag, that also prevents any outlaw from further tagging that ship for the duration of the tag), otherwise the battle starts as usual (they are pro PVPers after all and getting an helpless trader to farm PVP mark would not be their thing ... :rolleyes:)

5) some sort of severe debuff - i think mostly in terms of turn and reload - on ships of the line when they are fighting nationals in OS battles (outlaws cannot have captains that are skilled in ships of the line command as the national ones). This debuff will not apply in port battles.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

I'm on the other side, I believe there should be no "elite" factions, but a single new player faction and the rest being normal nations.

Too many nations are already playing on a different set of rules than the others and it kind of tears down the meta. (in game reality)

What you describe sounds like a pirate/outlaw status. there shouldn't be any "elite" "hardcore" or "veteran" factions because you take those players out of the normal nations and put them in their own exclusive club which disrupts balance and creates toxicity.

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

I'm on the other side, I believe there should be no "elite" factions, but a single new player faction and the rest being normal nations.

Too many nations are already playing on a different set of rules than the others and it kind of tears down the meta. (in game reality)

What you describe sounds like a pirate/outlaw status. there shouldn't be any "elite" "hardcore" or "veteran" factions because you take those players out of the normal nations and put them in their own exclusive club which disrupts balance and creates toxicity.

Actually this thread could be useful also undrestand better which (and how many) OS PVPers - among the ones that would like to take out safe zones - actually want to fight against real opponents and which ones prefer to farm PVP marks killing carebears and traders outside capital cities.

Edited by victor

Just now, victor said:

Actually this thread could be useful also undrestand better which (and how many) OS PVPers - among the ones that would like to take out safe zones - actually want to fight against real opponents and which ones prefer to farm PVP marks killing carebears and traders outside capital cities.

I'm all for removing safezone, but to have safezones neglected for a certain nation, different rules, different meta.. How do you explain that to a new player? How do you justify x nation being able to do x while y nation can't? Solid all around meta for all nations.

Just now, Slim Jimmerson said:

I'm all for removing safezone, but to have safezones neglected for a certain nation, different rules, different meta.. How do you explain that to a new player? How do you justify x nation being able to do x while y nation can't? Solid all around meta for all nations.

because it is  ... outlaw faction tailored for the hardcore PVP players and then players can shift to it only when they skilled and ranked?

Edited by victor

Just now, victor said:

because they are ... outlaw faction and they can shift to it only when they skilled and ranked?

yah but what skill is being able to bypass safezones? Also how to you constitute the reward changes, how do you explain that as a feature? It certainly isn't intuitive enough to explain itself.

I like many of the details of your suggestion, clan wars, bounties, negotiation with traders, but they don't fit together as a single addition for one nation/faction.