Game-Labs Forum

Review and Suggestion of the Impossible Nations

2 hours ago, rediii said:

Your mistake is to believe russian propaganda

only real alliance is between russia and spain (and french more or less). Swedes attack danes regulary aswell as pirates etc. there is just no conquest going on because nobody cares about the other guys ports. The rest is just asking for screening and thats it.

Screening was only important when russia was zerging everyone. Now it cant zerg anymore I guess so there will be less screeningdeals

Laugh.  No one believes that there isn’t an alliance going on between RUBLI, Danes, Sweden and lord knows whatever other players you impressed into servitude.  I’ll believe the alliance is over when RUBLI sits outside of gustavia sinking your 1st rates.

Anyway, the outlaw faction sounds interesting.  It would be nice if an area like MT was turned into an uncap region of free towns that formed like a little black zone area.  Anyone who dared could sail into the black market to purchase stuff, they might not get out.  Give pirates the secret islands for a home base

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

imho mechanics with favour should be added where each player starts as a free privateer and depending on his actions (through pve or pvp) he is being assigned favour points from each country. eg. at 1000 points he is getting a letter from the nation that he can join it and benefit from this nations ports, production and discounted prices in shops etc. then nation choice will be bound to your decisions.

example If you are killing swedes that are in war with gb gb grants you favour points, after doing it for some time you will get a letter.

political status would have to be added where clans with highest favour total are deciding on the status vs other countries through different mechanics like influence in the region, borders tension etc. no silly nation changing only pure outcome of your actions will set your fate. 

complicated to implement but even games like sid meyers pirates jad something similar. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

Laugh.  No one believes that there isn’t an alliance going on between RUBLI, Danes, Sweden and lord knows whatever other players you impressed into servitude.  I’ll believe the alliance is over when RUBLI sits outside of gustavia sinking your 1st rates.

Yeah we need more free for all between nations, I fking hate coalitions.

Problem is the only way to counter enemy alliance is to work together with other nations too. Otherwise you can never get past the screening fleets.

1 minute ago, rediii said:

Rubli already sat at gustavia a week ago or so. I streamed it and commented with sveno on thinks the swedish guys did wrong. :)

2 days ago I attacked a BF ocean, 2 other HRE guys had fights with BF the same day

In 1 week I lost a Wasa and a Belle Poule vs gqnksquads of DNP. I escaped another battle with my Reno

I agree with the outlaw thing

Good. Now go take their ports.  I sink daytime frenchies regularly, despite having RVR deals.  I’d sink Dutch players too if I could find any.  

At the end of the day though, you send up that bat signal and they will flock over and help you out on the RVR side of things.  I could of course say the same about the Spanish, but the French and the Dutch....   well you know how they are

6 hours ago, rediii said:

Prussia - Here and then grabs a port. I wouldnt call prussia a successfull nation though. They dont have a craftingplace and for new players its plain cancer to play with the ports prussia has atm

I think they have no crafting or carebear area, because they don't like dirty PvE players in their nation.... look at their PB history... have they lost a single one yet? They could probably easily open some carebear region somewhere if they wanted to I guess.... only way to defeat them is zerg them down - maybe a job for swedes? :P

I'd call prussia one of the most successful nations simply because they probably have most of quality PvP players compared to their player numbers and not just a hello kittying dreadfleet of carebears that can only overwhelm others by numbers.... I would have joined them already but I can't be arsed to haul all my shit around to switch and I just love my Jolly Roger :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Around 1000 guys is playing the game every day.

That is going to be the average population in this niche game. So the game cant sustain 11 nations.

My proposal: Remove all the impossible nations, also nations like Danemark and Sweden. Pirates should never be a starting nation you can pick, but a consequence of the choices made inside one of the starting nations.

The starting nations should be: GB, France, Spain, Dutch, US.

Why the impossible nations should be removed?

The answer is simple. As we have seen with Poland, Prussia and Russia, as soon as they lose their "capital" or the ports close to their capital, the nation collapses. And the game loses players, so we all lose in a game like NA where every player provides content.

Nations like Sweden and Danemark are not popular choices, so they will be small (on release). Sweden was one of the smallest nations at EA launch, they grow only after 2 years.

I have to agree with you on the nations.  They need to drop the three and use those mechanics for pirates.  Drop the extra nations that where very small infulence in this area at these time we have the game based upon.  I think the 5 nations you listed are a nice balance and a bit flavor to pick form so it's not just three nations like POTBS was.  I know folks want to play there home native nations, but really why should we added more nations to please a few players when this was being sold as a historical correct sailing game.

As for pirates I also agree it should never been a starting nation.  You should become one in game if you so choose, even if you pick to do so on day one or day 1000000 of the game.  The only way to go back to a nation is with forged papers.   I would also limit the ports taken by the pirates are all FFA ports that any one can loose and no port battlle timers can be set on these ports to make it easier for nationals to take them back.  They should never remain in pirate hands for long.  Think of it as kinda like when a pirate takes a port it's more a raid of it than to own it and run it.  Give them spread out ports, pirate havens in traditional pirate haven ports instead of having Mort island as a safe zone.  These Pirate Haven ports can't be capture and can be used by all nations.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Landsman said:

I think they have no crafting or carebear area, because they don't like dirty PvE players in their nation.... look at their PB history... have they lost a single one yet? They could probably easily open some carebear region somewhere if they wanted to I guess.... only way to defeat them is zerg them down - maybe a job for swedes? :P

I'd call prussia one of the most successful nations simply because they probably have most of quality PvP players compared to their player numbers and not just a hello kittying dreadfleet of carebears that can only overwhelm others by numbers.... I would have joined them already but I can't be arsed to haul all my shit around to switch and I just love my Jolly Roger :lol:

If I can remember right didn't they have a big PvE/carebear problem though at one time right after the new nations came out and that is why many left and have recently return?

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

If I can remember right didn't they have a big PvE/carebear problem though at one time right after the new nations came out and that is why many left and have recently return?

Yeah, but I think those are back to playing as dutch? At least it was the carebears in the south and all their ports are gone...

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

Let me ask you this, did prussia realy play in rvr yet?

Because in my oppinion they didn't, everyone doesnt want to touch them like poland.

The only guys attacking them are pirates in shallowports. I dont even know why lorimers doesnt get attacked

I guess as soon as they had a PB they were playing RvR? They took some ports as seen on the map.... Of course they can't go full conquest mode like the zerg nations with a hand full of players. And nobody wants to attack them, because everyone knows you can't take shit from them unless you somehow outnumber them which is hard to do when they are defending? Everyone who tried so far got hello kittying devastated.... I'd actually like to see HRE or RUBLI have a go at them... that would maybe be worth watching.

Apart from dropping the three impossible nations and converting their settings to the Pirate faction I also did suggest creating the Portuguese faction with only a single non-capture port down in the South to liven up what usually just ends up being Dutch ports. That way if people still want to play an impossible faction and be focused on nation building they can. Removing any of the original national factions would do more harm than good. Those three impossible factions however are just too many at the current population of the game. I also disagree making a Pirate and Outlaw faction. If you want to join the pirate faction you should probably play as a pirate not some nation building faction.

As stated earlier. Russia and Poland had success early on. Unfortunately the constant RvR and in some cases constant PvP created a player drop from the two nations. If the population of these two nations were combined and there was at least one port that was untouchable I believe that a nation building impossible faction is plausible long term. The Prussians are currently living well by maintaining more PvP oriented activities which are common to Pirates rather than actually focusing on RvR and gaining multiple ports only maintaining instead very few ports with resources that can help build more ships.

@admin might care to read through these posts to gather the communities opinion and views on the three impossible nations and how to proceed.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 1

I don't want to take away Prussia. We have been very unique, hardcore, PvP focus as a whole nation. Due to Pb mechanics we can hold our ports quite easily. 

Building ships requires trade. We are drowning in PvP marks and carbears will supply us and get paid in marks. 

Poland is dying because of the ports it's trying to hold and its moral is in the shitter.

9 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Poland is dying because of the ports it's trying to hold and its moral is in the shitter.

O you have an alt then? Well, if so, he has done a poor job spying. We had losses but our morale is still high because we have seen the direction we need to go clearly and what we need to do to improve.

Prussia needs to be removed like the other two nations because they are only meant for testing to begin with. Historically as well Prussia is playing like Pirates. Go be a pirate bub.

Just now, Davos Seasworth said:

O you have an alt then? Well, if so, he has done a poor job spying. We had losses but our morale is still high because we have seen the direction we need to go clearly and what we need to do to improve.

Prussia needs to be removed like the other two nations because they are only meant for testing to begin with. Historically as well Prussia is playing like Pirates. Go be a pirate bub.

I'd be pretty pissed off if Prussia got removed because of haters on the forum saying so. Don't hate.

5 hours ago, Hethwill said:

having someone tell you, as a fresh recruit - "GO TO MARACAIBO!!!" - when you have no idea how the game really plays...Yeah... right...

that journey is amazing the first time you sail. You never seen the world, everything is new, you sink a couple of time on the way or get lost. 
i think from the fresh recruit perspective this journey is not bad. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Flinch said:

I'd be pretty pissed off if Prussia got removed because of haters on the forum saying so. Don't hate.

Preußen Bleibt

Prussia (or countries that became prussia) held 3 islands in the caribbean from 1650 till 1700. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, admin said:

Preußen Bleibt

Prussia (or countries that became prussia) held 3 islands in the caribbean from 1650 till 1700. 

Sounds like Prussia ingame is reenacting history :D

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, admin said:

that journey is amazing the first time you sail. You never seen the world, everything is new, you sink a couple of time on the way or get lost. 

It is after you have some feet wet. And no better place than the Bahamas :) hence why the first objective of any impossible-pvp nation, in my opinion, is to create a Admiralty near Shroud.

Why only one did ? It would be a more welcoming scenario to all newcomers that join a Impossible nation than telling them to sail to Bermuda or to Panama.

I am not against the mechanic, I love it. I am just intrigued why the new nations decided ( at the start of it all ) to focus on far lands rather than on the obvious starting spot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Eating vegetables is healthy but eating an half cow filled with pork just taste better :D So from the fresh recruit perspective this journey is good to do so. But is it fun? I guess you have in mind while sailing down with the basic cutter (free repairs) you attack whenever you see AI and repair afterwards. But therefore 1. you have to survive  + 2. you have to know that repairs are free + how to repair crew. What is the real behavoir of a new player?