Game-Labs Forum

Review and Suggestion of the Impossible Nations

Oh, please don't remove my little Prussia! Many other players playing Prussia will share my sentiment. We are attached to it, and love our flag!

Let fly the black eagle, and may the oceans tremble in our wake, no one shall know where or when we shall strike, for we are raiders, operating afar from land, wo unto the AFK.

Have fun guys and good luck.

P,S,   No alts here either!

Edited by LIONOFWALES

Hello,

I think nations are important and the link to the historical content of this game. Ofc I know not all of NA is historical correct because its a game. 

Yes, I feel connected and loyal to my clan, but the nation connects the clans.

We need an dynamic alliance system for nations and a kind of alliance system between clans inside the nations.  The friendly clan list was a good beginning for that.

Now please try to merge this with the nations alliances.

I have not the ultimative solution for this but I think nobody has it in this moment

... and if someone don't like playing for an nation he should go for playing pirates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I build my ships in La Tortue and I don't use alts. Git gud, get rekt. Port de Paix is open and it gives lots of stuff, then Blondel/Lorimers or Cap Francais. Rincon and Bahia are now Prussian, but they were open before too. If I need to, I go with a smuggler to Mortimer for shopping. I never got caught/killed in a trader in past few months or so. I crafted recently about 50 ships.

Same here. Since I started playing as Prussian I managed to get from level 15 crafting to level 50 now building in La Tortue while gathering resources around free towns, open ports (smuggler flag) and Prussian ports around LT. By today I probably have enough of most materials (including teak and white oak) to craft additional 20 - 30 (accounting Victory Marks - probably 10) 1st rates without having safe zones or dedicated eco hub.

I never had an alt account nor I plan to have one. 

• Like 2

I should also mention that if you like smuggling a lot, PVP, and long voyages and have a knack for speed and evasion, are aggressive enough to run alone and don't mind a beating once in a while then Prussia is the nation for you.

It is a far slower game than any of the other nations when considering expansion and conquest, but if you just want to PVP or mess around Prussia is here for you.

I also agree regarding the clan  alliances, I see it as a platform for building a powerhouse system that could also incorporate a type of punishment system, please forgive that foul language, for those that team kill newish players in missions. A system that could bring back National alliances, and allow players to attack allied nations at a penalty and attack friendly players at a penalty, perhaps by demotion for doing such activities, with enough strikes causing you and your clan to turn to rouge status, allowing any nation to attack you if you are in a combat ship including friendlies at no penalty, but if the rouge player is in a trader , then that player could be safe from his own nation... complex I know, but I really think that such a system as detailed would be an asset to this game.

Somewhat redundant, but would bring a very interesting political structure to the game, diplomats would love this.

Edited by LIONOFWALES
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rediii said:

Dariena is so logical tho

I wondered why your capital isnt down there somewhere too

Given new players start at Shroud, sailing 1 hour and a half just to "join" the nation will push them away.

Just now, LIONOFWALES said:

I also agree regarding the clan  alliances, I see it as a platform for building a powerhouse system that could also incorporate a type of punishment system, please forgive that foul language, for those that team kill newish players in missions. A system that could bring back National alliances, and allow players to attack allied nations at a penalty and attack friendly players at a penalty, perhaps by demotion for doing such activities, with enough strikes causing you and your clan to turn to rouge status, allowing any nation to attack you if you are in a combat ship including friendlies at no penalty, but if the rouge player is in a trader , then that player could be safe from his own nation... complex I know, but I really think that such a system as detailed would be an asset to this game.

Somewhat redundant, but would bring a very interesting political structure to the game, diplomats would love this.

This is the end game. You're new but you see that just as well as a 3000 hour vet. It's just the most ideal and most games will shoot for this system in a similar way because it reflects well the natural order of humanity. (power>punishment>reward)

• Like 1

Yes Sir!

Newer than you for sure, I do have over 1300 hours though.

Those are mostly sailing and PVP hours too!

Cant wait to test the final approach on in game politics too.

I should also note that I usually only have an hour or two to play at a time, many times I log off in the middle of the ocean and resume later far away from land, good fun for me, and it works!

So a small nation like Prussia is just the right fit for me, as I get to smuggle, raid, and do pretty much as I please.

Edited by LIONOFWALES
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

southhaiti is no better place.

The alternative would be pvp/conquest and I wouldnt be too sure that this is something they want

:) That I agree.

Instead of grabbing a hold on the Bahamas to ensure a good welcome to newcomers, the very first colonists of all 3 nations did go to the worst spots possible. Panama, Bermuda, south Haiti...

Works for the veterans but how many new players came to play those nations due to RL reasons !?

having someone tell you, as a fresh recruit - "GO TO MARACAIBO!!!" - when you have no idea how the game really plays...Yeah... right...

• Like 2

I just want to sail around and be a thorn in the side of Nationals, I'm not a huge fan of this RVR stuff. So i'm all for making a Hardcore Pirate nation.

The only way i see Pirates doing any kind of RVR and effect RVR is... raiding ports and by that i mean destroying the Forts upon said raid and the reducing the resources in the shop. 

That way it causes huge issues for the Nation owning the port as it'll have no Fort Defence as they've been destroyed (for X days) meaning it's open for easy attack and perhaps reducing the Hostility required for a port Battle for Nationals. (Meaning quicker Hostility Gain for said port) 

That way they can be this 'on hire' thing Nationals could use to help them in RVR...  and on turn... they raid a port and get loads a money! (n rum) 

But as pointed out doing that now might be too late?  But if another pirate faction (God forbid) was added that could do that...lets say with a Red Flag (no quarter! given!)

I really like the fact these Hardcore Nations have no Capital, forces the no where is safe idea.

I'm diving into the RVR stuff abit now to try it out, as i never fully did it last time... and i hate it.

i just caused issues for US and Swedes (When they had free ports) but i'll keep my course for now...

Edited by Bloody Hound
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, LIONOFWALES said:

Yes Sir!

Newer than you for sure, I do have over 1300 hours though.

Those are mostly sailing and PVP hours too!

Cant wait to test the final approach on in game politics too.

nice, so you're new but not so new. A lot of people would disagree we need clan allianced/wars and that isn't sandbox. It makes a lot more sense that I can attack fellow national at a penalty than to not be able to touch each other. Mechanics wise if you just follow the life model most things will be intuitive and fall into place. Without we have loopholes and abuse.

700 hours here but slowly becoming disinterested in how little direction the game seems to have. I hear people talking about release wipes and final touches and i'm here like the game is still more unfinished than it is ready to be shipped as a complete package.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Yeah I used to tell people what they have to do to win, but I feel like I have moved on from there, play the game as you wish I say, its just a matter of time before a player finds their nitch.

For instance I raid alone mostly, I make my plans generally a day or three out and execute my plans, I have several friends that take a different approach all together and run in packs , looking for open world prey to eat up.  Another friend that plays this game only plays because he enjoys trading and crafting, he builds ships and sells them, and trades money goods out of Mortimer town because he thinks its exciting.

What ever floats your boat I say, and have fun, I stress at work, this is where I go to relax, usually listening to pleasant music while playing.

• Like 1

Right now we have too many nations in the game. 10 factions is just too much.

Drop the historically absent/insignificant nations like Russia, Poland, Prussia and Sweden (believe me when I say this is NOT to troll, the colony only exsisted for 3 years!).

Add 1 outlaw nation with the rules of the current hardcore nations + outlaw mechanics.

Done. Population will be more focussed, gameplay for everybody. The map will feel less cramped (Especially in the eastern antilles!) and more fun for everybody.

• Like 4

Perhaps the devs are thinking that a lot more players will buy into the game in the future, for now too many nations , for later maybe just right, I can not tell.

It is hard for me to say what will be what, especially at this state of development.

Mark me, I am not learned in any way regarding computer game design, but I feel that after the final variant of the game comes out we may have all the nations for flavor.

Understand that I play just for myself, players like me are hated by all nations... generally.

If only there was a rouge nation, against all, no brotherly ties or clans, I would play under that cursed flag! It would be so much fun!

Edited by LIONOFWALES

Prussia is the only nation in game with an awesome black eagle on its flag, I like that flag don't take it away!

I totally agree about the hardcore nation, lets see as I play now it would not hurt me to be totally rouge, being hunted continually sounds a lot of fun to me as well.

Edited by LIONOFWALES
  • Like 3

well, it all begun with Forged papers,  and that  has made a mess of the whole situation .(if you ask me, THE biggest mistake devs made [ disaster game changer tool, with a  disasterress global impact for single nations] )

-there where forged papers is also has to be a compromise, (for a mistake on a choice on a nation) what will means you have consequences when forged papers is used,.  you hold your ships , but loose a couple of ranks and cost money ,and buildings and shipyards

you have to make a decision if changing nations is worth it (money wise, and rank [because you will lose some high ranks above captain as well]  )

when you are high in the ranks , what also means when you are a low captain it does not make that great of a impact, if you are a captain (and use FP) you stay a captain for instance.

my conclusion is that , Forged papers is not in balance with the game. and at this point of existence it is a not wanted situation for the game , what ever you may think of it ,or just feeling fine because you think you are on the save side now.

for this decision (when using FP)

not every country or nation is the same they differ..(look at pirates for instance, they are just different.)

forged papers is a not well implemented mechanic, what made a mess and will continue to make a huge threat for the game, if not balanced and implemented correct.(when around in this form in the game as a easy to use tool and no punishment on money and ranks...(you are going to use fp what is not in the benefit of your current nation, and in the meanwhile you have used the benefit of that particular nation for free)

putting FP on steam dlc,  is a very good thing on the other hand ,but it needs tweaking on ranks and money to...

the contrast: why should you use FP.

- the second answer is dedicated ships for dedicated nations only (now it is just access to difficult  upgrade,  you can  grab certain upgrades to easy now when fp is used) 

witch is a too bigger contrast for stayers in certain nations. 

is also  the answer to the whole situation .,changing nation give other ships.,other opportunities and flaws 

let's get a answer from the ZERG. the ones who have the benefit, and you will hear the easy greediness in their voice.

for the devs :  you once said it is about sailing and didn't  really care about nations , well this conversation proofs you are wrong. and has to get a place in the game as well.

you integraded it partly by putting in more nations ,

but by using FP as a bad mechanic for it (in this form) it countered in the wrong direction (sadly) 

now we have fried chicken instead of beef.

i hope you will excuse me for bad english ,but i hope you got the big picture of my thoughts

Edited by Thonys

Just now, Cornelis Tromp said:

Right now we have too many nations in the game. 10 factions is just too much.

Drop the historically absent/insignificant nations like Russia, Poland, Prussia and Sweden (believe me when I say this is NOT to troll, the colony only exsisted for 3 years!).

Add 1 outlaw nation with the rules of the current hardcore nations + outlaw mechanics.

Done. Population will be more focussed, gameplay for everybody. The map will feel less cramped (Especially in the eastern antilles!) and more fun for everybody.

This. It's nauseously unfocused how many nations we have, on top of that we have the impossible nations that play by different rules because why not.

I'd rather have a few quality nations that are all pretty equal and well populated than haphazardly nations which not only don't make sense from the common historical perspective, but gameplay wise don't play at all how you'd think. At least for now, we don't have the parameter of what a nation is (pirates are more of a nation than prussia, a real nation) it just makes no sense and I think we should scale back so we can figure out what a nation is before adding more of them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

This. It's nauseously unfocused how many nations we have, on top of that we have the impossible nations that play by different rules because why not.

I'd rather have a few quality nations that are all pretty equal and well populated than haphazardly nations which not only don't make sense from the common historical perspective, but gameplay wise don't play at all how you'd think. At least for now, we don't have the parameter of what a nation is (pirates are more of a nation than prussia, a real nation) it just makes no sense and I think we should scale back so we can figure out what a nation is before adding more of them.

Exactly! If you limit nations to those with historically significant holdings in the Caribbean and Western Atlantic, you end up with:

- US

- France

- Spain

- Great Britain

- Republic of the Seven United Provinces/The Netherlands

- Denmark-Norway

Add to that because popularity:

- Pirate Republic (national rules)

- Outlaws (hardcore nation and outlaw mechanic)

This is what I think Naval Action should be from a historians point of view.

Regarding the forged papers, I always assumed, and yes I just used that word, assumed that the forged papers were added so that people could try other nations and test other mechanics in game, I do not see why I should still have them once the final variant of the game comes out.

I feel that the devs gave us those forged papers so that we could broaden our experience , playing with other nations, I have played as USA, Spain, and Prussia so far. Working mostly as a screener or interference at port battles, then one day I realized I love taking traders, mostly because of the hunt.

Before then I was a trader as well, I got good at moving freight, never lost an Indiaman, had some really close calls, after putting the pieces together I realized after around 500 hours that I could be good at hunting traders, and so I still do that to this day, the forged papers have aided me in finding my nitch in development, and it wont hurt my feelings to see them go away.

All being said I would play rouge, totally rouge, as hard a gameplay mode as I can find, that is what I gravitate to for some strange reason,.

I guess its just the general challenge of having to work alone in a world full of ravenous ocean going wolf packs...

I have had soooo much fun with this game, sorry to digress mate.

3 hours ago, rediii said:

So in my oppinion implement 1 outlaw "nation" where each clan can build his own "nation" and can make ports available only to his clan or to everyone. Also they have to be able to attack other ojtlaw clans in proper battles.

@admin

Outlaw faction is interesting because it could actually be the home of all the elite OS PVPer that are not much interested in RvR and that now are no happy about the state of the PVP.

My opinion is that such kind of faction should have some peculiar aspects

1) totally clan based faction, with outlaw clans red to each other;

2) the access to the faction shall be open to players that have already reached at least Post captain rank (I use English rank as an example);

3) the outlaws have the possibility to attack players inside safe zones, with no reinforcement, but only if

- the attacking outlaw is in a 5th rate (or lower) ship

- the attacked player is at least Post captain (I use English rank as an example) or above AND is sailing a 5th rate or superior ship (also trader ships count)

4) if an outlaw attacks a trader ships (both in the safe zone or outside) in case he sinks the trader he will get no PVP mark, BUT .... only outlaws can get a ransom from the trader in case they tag them. At the beginning of the battle between an outlaw and a player in a trader ship a personal chat opens and parts can negotiate the ransom, if the negotiate succeeds a ransom is paid and the trader can go free (with a recently killed tag, that also prevents any outlaw from further tagging that ship), otherwise the battle starts as usual (they are pro PVPers after all and getting an helpless trader to farm PVP mark would not be their thing ... :rolleyes:)

5) some sort of severe debuff - i think mostly in terms of turn and reload - on ships of the line when they are fighting nationals in OS battles (outlaws cannot have captains that are skilled in ships of the line command as the national ones). This debuff will not apply in port battles.

Edited by victor
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

Exactly! If you limit nations to those with historically significant holdings in the Caribbean and Western Atlantic, you end up with:

- US

- France

- Spain

- Great Britain

- Republic of the Seven United Provinces/The Netherlands

- Denmark-Norway

Add to that because popularity:

- Pirate Republic (national rules)

- Outlaws (hardcore nation and outlaw mechanic)

This is what I think Naval Action should be from a historians point of view.

and don't forget the ships 

dedicated own nation ships. ( for example : a chinese who  sails a victory ....wft)

first of all its a game about ships.

every kid in the world now thinks a victory is a chinese jonk  (great work devs you changed history ) [ The press will, . smash you for it]

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

One does not simply remove the black chicken

But seriously, IMO there are way too many politics / alliances ingame again; do people want to go back to the eastern vs western alliance times?

More small pvp between multiple nations > few big pvp engagements between a total of two alliances

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Thonys said:

well, it all begun with Forged papers,  and that  has made a mess of the whole situation .(if you ask me, THE biggest mistake devs made [ disaster game changer tool, with a  disasterress global impact for single nations] )

-there where forged papers is also has to be a compromise, (for a mistake on a choice on a nation) what will means you have consequences when forged papers is used,.  you hold your ships , but loose a couple of ranks and cost money ,and buildings and shipyards

you have to make a decision if changing nations is worth it (money wise, and rank [because you will lose some high ranks above captain as well]  )

when you are high in the ranks , what also means when you are a low captain it does not make that great of a impact, if you are a captain (and use FP) you stay a captain for instance.

Also this (shortened for cleanliness)

Lack of freedom of movement hurts this game. Overly big/powerful nations export skilled players who don't want to completely dominate as the overdog, and small nations are where these people will go and a constant attempt to balance will take place as small nations get big and powerful, drop off, rinse and repeat.

Look at russian clans joining sweden. The most powerful nation just got more powerful and in a few months, it will be impossible to escape this power suck without deleting your character or buying DLC.

So instead of nations rising and falling, we have nations rising and stalling out at the top because the game doesn't let that natural balance occur.. It's like weather, high pressure flows to low pressure in attempt to equalize, not that it will equalize but without that movement then you don't really have weather the way we know.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson