Game-Labs Forum
admin

Event feedback

15 hours ago, Christendom said:

4th rate one was challenging, loot sucked.  Wouldn't put the effort in again.

No one does, there hasn't been any new worth trying items for a looong time and that is why events are not popular. I mean reading through all these posts Devs can clearly see what people want. 

Edited by H2O

They're too hard to find.

Skill level required is ok, it's some challenge at last.

Loot is a bit too poor even on 1st rate events. Getting more books and blueprints would be ok. It's worthless if you get eg. an Agamemnon note.

It would be better if there were no epic chests, but if standard chests would have a chance to be "epic". This way it's easier to separate chests after battle, and let luck decide who gets what. It removes rush of looting in epic event.

I've only done the 1st rate epic event and this was done after the thickness changes (decreases) were brought in. We sunk and looted 6 of the 9 so from my experiences of the epic:

1. The sailing speed of the AI is hugely fast, you have to chain them to get them even close to a manageable speed which means most of the fight is spent running and chaining. which for awhile is ok but then becomes very boring.

2. the damage a single Ai broadside can do. (don't know if this was tuned in line with the thickness changes or has not been touched?) Either way, its massive and makes it impossible for a player to go side to side with them. This is compounded by that there are more of them than you (9 Ai vs 6 Players) which unless 1 or 2 of you players can drag the majority of Ai away and have them chase you ( reason why you chain so much, see point 1 above) or  you'll simply be sunk. This makes the fight extremely boring for the players who spend 90% of the fight just running while others get to fight the few Ai left behind.

3. Loot. Honestly we were very happy with what we got. good mix of ship notes/books/perma upgrades and rare crafting materials. What we didn't like was that once you have a chest and have completed/survived the event you then have to haul the chest back to port, with basically a big sign saying "hey come kill me". we made it back fine but if we'd done an event to then be attacked outside and have it all stolen... well that would of been end of epic events for us. 

4. the fight as many have said is not really "epic" it's hard yes but it is really a very long drawn out run away, run away, run away, ok kill that lone Ai, run away, run away... repeat till done.

suggestions:

1. Lower Ai sailing speed "buff". Perhaps have the size of the speed buff randomised on each Ai ship or scale with the ships wood type? so there would be a bigger range of speeds between the AI. in the epic they all seem to sail at the same high speed. This would mean you spend less time chaining and could separate Ai a little earlier or easier and have more than one fight going on at a time.

2. Lower the damage of the Ai a little but make them have more HP.  People want to have a fight with AI not sail around for an hour with the Ai chasing behind you. lowering the Ai damage would give players the ability to turn into and pass through the enemy or exchange a few broadsides if you spot a target of opportunity without it being a suicide mission.  As of now if you sail into the AI and they are still grouped up, your front 1-2 ships are just committing suicide.

3.Loot should be rewarded on arrival back in port. No Xp or Gold should be rewarded for an epic instead: On looting the AI ship you find a silver chest. has some gold in it maybe some rare resources or book ( think like a wreck from a sealed bottle) on returning to port each player receives a gold chest if at least more than half (5+) the AI fleet has been sunk. An "epic" chest for each player would also be rewarded if you sink all 9 Ai (and perhaps do not loose any of your own?). This way loot is shared evenly and based on performance of the group not the guy who happens to be closest to get the loot. Your still rewarded for looting the ships but your also rewarded for taking part in the epic even if you lost your ship.

4. It's meant to be a fight not a chase and chases happen when one side has too big an advantage over the other so the other side runs away. The combination of the AI's speed and its huge firepower buff's are meant to counter the players "smarts" and our repairs but right now, to fight them on anything close to even terms people resort to the run, chain, chain some more, approach. which while effective is not fun.

8 hours ago, Chug said:

I've only done the 1st rate epic event and this was done after the thickness changes (decreases) were brought in. We sunk and looted 6 of the 9 so from my experiences of the epic:

1. The sailing speed of the AI is hugely fast, you have to chain them to get them even close to a manageable speed which means most of the fight is spent running and chaining. which for awhile is ok but then becomes very boring.

2. the damage a single Ai broadside can do. (don't know if this was tuned in line with the thickness changes or has not been touched?) Either way, its massive and makes it impossible for a player to go side to side with them. This is compounded by that there are more of them than you (9 Ai vs 6 Players) which unless 1 or 2 of you players can drag the majority of Ai away and have them chase you ( reason why you chain so much, see point 1 above) or  you'll simply be sunk. This makes the fight extremely boring for the players who spend 90% of the fight just running while others get to fight the few Ai left behind.

3. Loot. Honestly we were very happy with what we got. good mix of ship notes/books/perma upgrades and rare crafting materials. What we didn't like was that once you have a chest and have completed/survived the event you then have to haul the chest back to port, with basically a big sign saying "hey come kill me". we made it back fine but if we'd done an event to then be attacked outside and have it all stolen... well that would of been end of epic events for us. 

4. the fight as many have said is not really "epic" it's hard yes but it is really a very long drawn out run away, run away, run away, ok kill that lone Ai, run away, run away... repeat till done.

suggestions:

1. Lower Ai sailing speed "buff". Perhaps have the size of the speed buff randomised on each Ai ship or scale with the ships wood type? so there would be a bigger range of speeds between the AI. in the epic they all seem to sail at the same high speed. This would mean you spend less time chaining and could separate Ai a little earlier or easier and have more than one fight going on at a time.

2. Lower the damage of the Ai a little but make them have more HP.  People want to have a fight with AI not sail around for an hour with the Ai chasing behind you. lowering the Ai damage would give players the ability to turn into and pass through the enemy or exchange a few broadsides if you spot a target of opportunity without it being a suicide mission.  As of now if you sail into the AI and they are still grouped up, your front 1-2 ships are just committing suicide.

3.Loot should be rewarded on arrival back in port. No Xp or Gold should be rewarded for an epic instead: On looting the AI ship you find a silver chest. has some gold in it maybe some rare resources or book ( think like a wreck from a sealed bottle) on returning to port each player receives a gold chest if at least more than half (5+) the AI fleet has been sunk. An "epic" chest for each player would also be rewarded if you sink all 9 Ai (and perhaps do not loose any of your own?). This way loot is shared evenly and based on performance of the group not the guy who happens to be closest to get the loot. Your still rewarded for looting the ships but your also rewarded for taking part in the epic even if you lost your ship.

4. It's meant to be a fight not a chase and chases happen when one side has too big an advantage over the other so the other side runs away. The combination of the AI's speed and its huge firepower buff's are meant to counter the players "smarts" and our repairs but right now, to fight them on anything close to even terms people resort to the run, chain, chain some more, approach. which while effective is not fun.

Pretty good write up man and spot on.  Though I would say don't remove XP or gold for your fight reward.  I made good chunk of gold/xp (didn't need the xp) that some mid level player might need for doing the 4th level mission or maybe even that last slot they havne't unlocked.  Even though my whole group was in 3/5 tanked out aggies (one ingermanland) It might be done with something not fully unlucked but would be hard.

The rewards chest I like how you put it, but they can just make it a redeemable like they have in the past with port battles that you can't open until you get to port.  

Other than the speed nerf and maybe the damage (replace with more HP) I think they are spot on for being hard like they should be.  This is why you hear a mix of folks that got sunk and some of us more experience player saying easy or didn't get sunk.  It's not meant to be easy so shouldn't be.  I was in a tanked out floating battery lo/wo aggy and I was able to go side by side with an injured ship and out DPS but I had the 1 poods on both decks to and 25% reload so I was fitted for full DPS too.  It hurt bad but I was able to do it.