Game-Labs Forum
rosebud2

Modules...what are they?

When I hit an enemy ship with a broadside I can see at the top of the picture the damage I've done. Crew, guns, sails, ect. and modules...what's a module? I can purchase items that enhance the defensive strength of these modules, does that matter? There is a general vagueness about so much. Staysails are explained by saying "additional staysails for your ship" same with stunsails. If brevity is the problem, how about this for an explanation, "Enhanced tacking ability" or "Better upwind and tacking performance." There really is no need for players to investigate a wiki page and scourer through the forum to ascertain what could be stated in five words or less.

• Like 1

modules are rudder magazine and  pump. you can enhance rudder and pump. not sure about magazine never needed any improvement on it.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Hethwill said:

Open Magazine Access

Ok...what does that mean? More likely to explode or catch fire? Slower reload? It's like pulling teeth here.

Open Magazine Access means the crew will be faster reloading, due to less safety measures when they need to access the gunpowder to refill the charges.

Meaning that fire also gets to it easier if it spreads that way.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Hethwill said:

Open Magazine Access means the crew will be faster reloading, due to less safety measures when they need to access the gunpowder to refill the charges.

Meaning that fire also gets to it easier if it spreads that way.

I do not mean any offense here and I do appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. Right now I am still clueless as to how their loss effects my ship. Are they rudder, pump, magazine (which I can repair) or just open magazine access? Does their loss decrease reload ability and increase the fire hazard to my ship (permanently?)

Could someone please direct me to the information that explains what these modules are in detail? 

Magazine or magazines ( depending on the size of the ship, big ones have several ) does not affect reload time, but damage to it, resulting by a spreading fire, can result in catastrophic explosion - it is full of gunpowder.

18 hours ago, rosebud2 said:

I do not mean any offense here and I do appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. Right now I am still clueless as to how their loss effects my ship. Are they rudder, pump, magazine (which I can repair) or just open magazine access? Does their loss decrease reload ability and increase the fire hazard to my ship (permanently?)

Could someone please direct me to the information that explains what these modules are in detail? 

Ok so the generic ship modules which can be hit and damaged are:

Rudder: A damaged (yellow on screen) rudder negatively affects your turn rate. A red or knocked out rudder will be stuck on the last setting you had it on and you can't alter course. The crew will auto repair it back to yellow. You can also use emergency or urgent repair to fix all yellow or red modules but it has cool down.

Pump: A damaged pump negatively affects water bailing so if your pump is taken out (red) and you are taking water from leaks you could be in trouble.

Magazine: I believe this effects your chances of exploding or catching fire and then exploding. The magazine is much harder to hit and damage than the pump or rudder.

• Like 1

Good, now we're getting somewhere. So modules are a sudo-name for any hit on these three parts of your ship (rudder, pumps, magazine.) So when you add resistance to these modules in the form of upgrades, these parts of your ship become less likely to become damaged. I am assuming the effects of modules getting hit are not cumulative like guns, but more in the line of what happens when sails are damaged, which can be repaired back to 100%. In the case of your magazine taking a "module" hit, during the period of time it is highlighted (as damaged) on your screen, you will experience a reload reduction. Is this about right?

Thank you gentlemen, this old fool feels far more enlightened about the subject of modules, due to your generous patience with me. 

19 hours ago, rosebud2 said:

It’s a shame NA-L is shut for 2 months for the big over haul. Even so...

A couple of points to watch for. @DeRuyter gives a great view. This must be memorized. Now as per my Grinder guide (shameless plug) by how much each area effects performance is why starting with smaller guns helps. Understanding that just losing a few gun crew without re-allocating replacements will slow your reload times down a lot. Even if you’ve Officer Gunnery and Open Mag Access. If under crewed it won’t load quickly.  

If like me you want hard facts well that’s you testing and doing research. All NA-L model ships are based off NA-OW and to some extent are the modules. So, go to the main forums and Guide section and drill down through it. Before using any upgrades understand CREW management. Having a crew float in the boarding section is vital. With bigger guns this float drops. How does crew loss effects your current ship?

The Modules...

The Modules first read the NA-L description carefully. Then go to the NA-OW Forum guide and look at a similar mod. For instance, even before using Open Magazine Access even after reading the description I believe my ship would catch fire more than normal. Nothing mentioned in the description...

Sure, enough it did. Other mods also have quirks which you must understand in order to get the best from them. The Officer Gun reload time is a big favorite. Have you actually calculated how much faster the guns will reload?

Its tiny 1 to 2 seconds and yet under crew and you are reloading without the perk. You are back to square one. This at level 5 will cost you 4k silver a battle in maintenance.

Careful using them as they’ll kill you in M-Fees for not much added value...

Norfolk.

1 hour ago, rosebud2 said:

So when you add resistance to these modules in the form of upgrades, these parts of your ship become less likely to become damaged.

OK that is correct, but they’ll be a downside somewhere. Extra Planking, we see a speed reduction. Also watch for buffs, like Mag access will increase fires.

The Rudder TurnR buff means any AI fires near your stern will hit that rudder. Speed Trim, loss of TurnR. With the Wider gun aiming angles you’ll take higher crew and gun losses. This will I believe increase the likely hood of magazine damage on the ship. Wider port holes as it was explained to me.

Mixing mods to offset downsides rarely works and becomes expensive. Mods I like is Rudder, Riders and Gun mod for reload and dispersion. If a poor tuner through IRONs will add Staysails...

Read @admin note. Already states adding the sail leeway and the new sail model to NA-L. Start Practicing on PvE or PvP OW. Find out how the new BASIC models sail...

Norfolk

Edited by Norfolk nChance

when the new GUI comes out the text of the modules will be easier to understand.
at the moment the text of the module has a technical articulation of the module itself, and is therefore somewhat more difficult to understand.

this (the use) will be clearer in the new GUI

Edited by Thonys