Game-Labs Forum
RKY

public chat moderation

I am not sure exactly where to post this, but during my short experience in game I noticed repeated toxic behaviors in public chatroom which seem to go unpunished.I do understand moderators can't see everything and do take actions for things such as racism.

Though it would seem that things you would name as moral harassment in real life and could cause the source of it some huge financial fines or even prison are fine in the game. You may mention the ignore button, and I may say it is a good feature for the end user. BUT, there should be actions taken from mods as well.

Don't get me wrong, i am not against the casual taunt after a fight or such thing, but i am against repeated toxicity. It simply has a negative impact on this already small enough community.

Players in need of attention, or trying to solve their real life personal issues through games shouldn't be welcome. I am not going to give names but here is an example of a player who has been basically harassing people on global for a few days already. Not just one clan, not just one person, just being toxic for no reasons.

It is unfortunate for them but i usually don't give a single f word about them. But I have to say I play games to have fun, not to deal with people anger / confidence issues or passive aggressiveness.

this one example but like i said, it has been going for days.

image.png.4eea8305c372fa3b1d489679d083df7b.png

At the end of the day, it is up to the mods to decide what sort of community they want.

• Like 1

Just close global.. Banter is a very fluid thing especially in writing and if mods had to take subjective action based on each players individual sensibility the ban-hammer would never cease to hammer.. It's a game and in all MMO games there's banter and more or less bad apples in the pot.. Either put him on ignore or close the global chat.

This, honestly, is a pretty tame screenshot.  There's not much going on in it.  Keep in mind, historically, it was not all powdered wigs and fragile china.  By 1800, the election between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, America's second and third Presidents (respectively), had deteriorated so far as to have this written of it:

Jefferson's camp accused President Adams of having a "hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

Adams' men called Vice President Jefferson "a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father."

Adams was labeled a fool, a hypocrite, a criminal, and a tyrant, while Jefferson was branded a weakling, an atheist, a libertine, and a coward.

Even Martha Washington succumbed to the propaganda, telling a clergyman that Jefferson was "one of the most detestable of mankind."

Source - CNN

Generally, efforts are made more against racism, homophobia, Nazi ideology - things like that.  Each moderator uses his or her own judgment in an effort to keep things from devolving too far, however, many users will attempt to "push the line" to see just where that line is.  The moderators themselves are of course, human, and make mistakes.  Generally, we also encourage people to right-click and report those you think might be "crossing the line" in chat.  Those reports are gone through regularly.  Further, of course, is the option to ignore, as you mentioned above.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

It's why I don't ever have Global open unless someone says "go on Global and read such and such".

I usually have global closed, but lately whenever it is opened all I can see is trash talk.

I find saddening to have to close a global chat due to the behavior of few. This is what this post is about. it's not about me.

• Like 1

Don’t even waste your time bud.  I’ve submitted multiple reports on people as well as screen shots of bigoted conversations, abuse and just about everything under the sun directly to admin and ink.  Nothing happens. Just put them on ignore.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Don’t even waste your time bud.  I’ve submitted multiple reports on people as well as screen shots of bigoted conversations, abuse and just about everything under the sun directly to admin and ink.  Nothing happens. Just put them on ignore.  

I do, I just drop a rock in the lake. I do ignore these people, but it is not the way things should go.

But seeing as @Powderhorn is basically saying it is fine to have these behaviors because some notorious people insulted each other publicly in the media some 150 years ago, I see it is a waste of time.

Let's bring back feudal right and slavery because it was fine some centuries ago.

@Fox Proudfoot it's not about me. I don't care what people think or say about me. thus i don't bother reply or ignoring most times.

I just wished community had toxic behaviors punished. I have nothing against casual banter like i said previously. But when it happens 3-4-5 times a day, it is not banter.

it is moral harassment.

Well nevermind then, let toxic have the power of the public channels and close them. Good for community and game experience.

Nice for future new players :)

There is an ignore feature for removing what you percieve as "toxic behaviour" or things that displease you within the community. 
Moderation is for censoring content that is inappropriate for minors and society in general. 

I personally like the banter and light mockery similar to what you have posted here. And punishment for it and/or censorship would push players like myself from wanting to play the game. So perhaps you can be a little more inclusive of other perspectives yourself :)

• Like 1

@RKY

Bit of an issue here. I can’t see anything wrong in your screen shot. Yes, I agree we play the game to have fun and a certain level of banter or school yard ribbing is acceptable. Toxic behavior or bullying is completely unacceptable of course.

What is wrong is calling something toxic that is not. In the past @admin has threaten to close Global Chat. If Global was to close because of this report it would be a travesty.  This by what you’ve offered is making a mountain out of a mole hill at best unless you’ve other proof obviously.

When something actually is TOXIC in nature and needs addressing there is risk it will be missed by too many reports calling something toxic that is not. The Boy who cried wolf...

Norfolk

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 3

Chat moderation works for all abnormal and lawful guidelines. Cases that are not public but happen in battle chat must be reported.

The very basic form of communication is "GG, WP" Good Game, Well Played.

Generations gap might come into play though. The always the need, for many, to banter and bask in accomplishments. Somehow it seems like it enhances the achievement.

It is not against the rules unless the language used is outright unacceptable.

Moderators will keep an eye on increasing tone of "humiliation". Closed.

• Like 1