Game-Labs Forum

Area Control

With the new patch that has added area control as standard to ships without chasers. I was wondering if area control will be, or perhaps should be changed. Currently, as i understand it,  area control has a 750m range and stops ALL ships form leaving a battle within this range of the ship that has it, including that ship itself and all allies.

Control is great for a 1vs1 when your doing the chasing, but once your being chased, your basically tagging yourself. Once you have allies , area control again can be very bad for your team.

Would changing Area control to only effect enemy ships be a much better option? Or just the enemy and the ship that has area control.

Perhaps area control should be a toggled on/off ability in those ships without chasers, with a cool-down timer?

People have even suggested that all ships should have area control (with maybe a much reduced range).

on a related note. should the area control "perk" be changed/removed now that certain ships have it by default?

a mix of suggestions and questions but I'd be interested to know what people think of area control.

Yes, it works both ways.

It is a price to pay.

In the end it comes down to your expectations. Does it help you more times than it interferes ? Then it is useful. If not, then don't use it.

You cannot control what other captains choose and Control is not selective, is area.

Given it works as long as you are within 750m just move away from any ship until you cannot read the name. Then you are safe.

It already has a toggle on/off for ships without bow gun ports - have the perk or don't have the perk. 

For others is automatic, as novelty for testing. Most ships without bow gun port for chasers weren't used much due to that same reason.

1 hour ago, Chug said:

whats is the button for this?

No button.

If you are using a ship with bow gun ports you do not have control by default.

If you us a ship that has no bow gun ports you have control by default.

It is a captain's choice on/off.

Same as with the Perk, it is a on/ff choice of yours.

Others having Control, well, is out of your... control.

Maybe chasers angles should be corrected to 45 degree and not shoot directly through the rigging... and then have control by default for all...?

then i wouldn't really call it a toggle on/off.

if you have the ship with control on, your forced to use it or not use the ship at all and it can have a real downside to it in team/pvp fights making the ships stuck it with it a liability more often than not. I believe people will be less inclined to sail them and the ships it's on were already not really sailed. reno/pavel/essex etc

Having control by default on a ship with no way to turn it off i think is a bad thing. just my thoughts.

Actually some of the fellows I play with are way more inclined to get back to the ships they like, actually being the ones without any bow gun ports - Cerberus, Belle Poule and Essex - just to name 3 of them.

But I totally understand your reasoning. It is a test, it just started. I did drop Control perk myself as soon as trade dried out due to the zones, but was a must for me and worked more often than not. 

Now I rely on closure rate. If I am fast and closing on you, you will not just escape 100m away, no matter if I have chasers or not.

It is a test. As with everything it might provoke some discomfort.