Game-Labs Forum

New hardcore nation - Barbary Pirates

I was thinking why not have Barbary Pirates as another hardcore Force that can establish it's presence in the Caribbean. Not only that it would nicely target Middle eastern gamer population and bring numbers and income to NA. I know for example Turkey is a big gaming place. We have some ships already developed for that nation alone -xebec. They will have no ports, but can create a nation of Thieves if organized and compete with Brethren. 

I would not mind Hanging Muslim flag and invading US ports.:D That would surely cause some fights for ports. After all we already have mother russia ruling Caribbean and US is bent over.  

Yea or nay? vote. 

Edited by H2O
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Why not turn ALL nations into hardcore nations ?

Then Pirates can be whatever pirates they want.

Tell devs to start all nations with 0 ports and different locations after each map win and see what happens. ;) I never liked preset Nation locations. 

Edited by H2O
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I can attack whoever I want. I can sail under the flag whichever I want. I can do what I want. Being an outlaw, a rebel would mean total freedom. No limits. No safe zones, no capitals, no bs.

How would you get ships without Econ and Capital infrastructure? I can only see it as - available for hire. Whoever pays you supplies ships. 

Edited by H2O

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

1. Capture

2. Buy from free towns or shipbuilders

Exactly what I do now as Prussian. To be honest I even have a shipyard now in a free town and I use open ports to get my resources. 

What is there is no supply? Capture yes, but what if you suffer a defeat and loose some. Sounds like there is a dead end. 

Edited by H2O

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

There is never a dead end... I can use a basic cutter to capture the 6th rate and continue my hunt. Even if there would be a dead end... is it not what a hardcore nation is supposed to be? Please change your topic title to "New Carebear Nation".

Makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, blubasso said:

So what you miss is the excitement to be a small Nation, searching for places to establish new ports under new flag, am I right?

Exactly, we could have more National flags that can become nations when people organize under that color. It will expand variety, bring players. They will play for their loved nation. It could work. 

For example Barbary Pirates can only have 10 people active under that flag or could become 100 or more. 

Edited by H2O

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Less nations.  More clan based.  Make pirates/outlaws be a reputation based system 

Custom Flags for Clans? For example instead of one Brethren, clans could have many option to roll under different historic pirate organization names and flags.  

Edited by H2O

Well, shouldn't be better to give the possibility to create a brand new Nation? With time, as in RL, some small ones will disappear (just like clans) and stay only those that made success.

It will just a matter of rename Clans as Nations and give the opportunity to create a flag...

1 minute ago, blubasso said:

Well, shouldn't be better to give the possibility to create a brand new Nation? With time, as in RL, some small ones will disappear (just like clans) and stay only those that made success.

It will just a matter of rename Clans as Nations and give the opportunity to create a flag...

Something like that, but they can't just vanish. They can be brought back with 0 reputation and have to start over after map win. Those who survived keep accumulating rep. 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

How do you see a reputation system work for all Nations including outlaws?

Ok just a rough draft of an idea I've had brewing ~

3 Starter / PVE Nations - GB, France, Spain.  More or less historically accurate.  EVERYONE starts out in these nations until the tutorial or a certain rank is hit.  Players can grind, craft capital area ships (more on this in a sec), econ and farm to their hearts delight within the safe zone.  Once you hit the certain rank you stay a loyal subject or branch out into a clan (company) and start the RVR aspect of the game.  War companies get a letter of marque to kill the king's enemies, blah blah go out and do stuff.  You can hunt your own faction, which is where the outlaw reputation thing comes in.  Kill enough players of your faction and you're deemed an outlaw and you can no longer enter that nation's ports.  Now you're a pirate.  

Capital area ships vs non-capital ships - capital ships have base stats and are something basic like oak.  non-capital ships get regional traits and whatever wood type.  Incentive to craft outside the safe zones.  Ships also can't be towed into capitals, only sailed there.  Creating a market and traffic.

RVR basically works the same as it does now, but you have to be in a clan/company to do it and purchase that letter of marque thing (basically a license).  

National Events like the Trafalgar battle will randomly trigger to generate content for the 3 nations and their folks to participate in.  Random port battles and stuff like that.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, H2O said:

I was thinking why not have Barbary Pirates as another hardcore Force that can establish it's presence in the Caribbean. Not only that it would nicely target Middle eastern gamer population and bring numbers and income to NA. I know for example Turkey is a big gaming place. We have some ships already developed for that nation alone -xebec. They will have no ports, but can create a nation of Thieves if organized and compete with Brethren. 

I would not mind Hanging Muslim flag and invading US ports.:D That would surely cause some fights for ports. After all we already have mother russia ruling Caribbean and US is bent over.  

Yea or nay? vote. 

Why not have the chinese, the japanese or the zulus?