Game-Labs Forum

Ship names...

I think this has been a topic, that some dislike to a degree, but perhaps I have a suggestion that may work...

Allow every player to name their ship whatever they want.  In game display the ship when clicked on the open world as (example)  Trincomalee "Astonishing"  <-- players named ship

and then the usual stuff when clicked in open world.

In Battle:  Give players the option of displaying Ship type ie Trinc, surprise etc, Ship type+name, or ship name hell could add more options add ship rate to the list

In port always show the ship name

Lastly...  Give players the option to hide the names of other player's ships, and just display ship type.  Some will be offended when they see a ship named "yo mama's vijayjay" so lets allow players to avoid that if they wish.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SKurj said:

I think this has been a topic, that some dislike to a degree, but perhaps I have a suggestion that may work...

Allow every player to name their ship whatever they want.  In game display the ship when clicked on the open world as (example)  Trincomalee "Astonishing"  <-- players named ship

and then the usual stuff when clicked in open world.

In Battle:  Give players the option of displaying Ship type ie Trinc, surprise etc, Ship type+name, or ship name hell could add more options add ship rate to the list

In port always show the ship name

Lastly...  Give players the option to hide the names of other player's ships, and just display ship type.  Some will be offended when they see a ship named "yo mama's vijayjay" so lets allow players to avoid that if they wish.

Why not make naming your ship a reward for doing very well in that ship. If a ship survives over numerous battles it becomes famous and the name of the ship becomes "feared across the sea."

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Why not make naming your ship a reward for doing very well in that ship. If a ship survives over numerous battles it becomes famous and the name of the ship becomes "feared across the sea."

That's a good idea. Let's say after you open the 5th slot, it gets a name visible to all that stays with that ship until sunk. That ship would be recognized on the waters. Or at least have the ability to be notorious. 

Edited by Farrago

Not only that the amount of fun you gain from this feature is not given, the drawbacks are a huge amount of new unnecessary database entries that will slow down the whole game but also the amount of moderation needed is not viable. DayZ had a feature to write books for other players but had to cut it due to nazi and other not polite stuff written in it. 

@SKurj

Although I like the idea, just let me play Devil’s Advocate a moment...

Judging by some of our own Player Character [PC] names, I really don’t want to see Ship names that our in poor taste “The Easy VijayJay of the Oceans “. I disagree with hidden names all most show. This means policing and extra time input by our Overlords...

I suggested the ability to number a Crafted ship. This to keep control of Clan Fleet management etc.

The reply from @admin is it would take up too much server time and space to be effective.

Norfolk nVajayjay

50 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

They'd have to be small, appropriate, preset names that the player could pick a combination from. That's the only way to keep cancerous toxicity and memery from destroying our beautiful NA's pureness

Like the Captain's names !? Right... 

I would hope so... in past... B)

• Like 1

Well one of the options I gave was so that players could hide others players ship names if they wished, not that i can control what you see.  That way they wouldn't have to see "whatevah" but anyways.

I don't buy the "too much for the system and database" arguement.

The options I listed were not for me to SHow my ship name, it was for all players to have these options to show or NOT other player's ship names.  Like in most games where you have the option of the information you see above their avatar, I have the option to see what I wish.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Never Surrender said:

Not only that the amount of fun you gain from this feature is not given, the drawbacks are a huge amount of new unnecessary database entries that will slow down the whole game but also the amount of moderation needed is not viable. DayZ had a feature to write books for other players but had to cut it due to nazi and other not polite stuff written in it. 

Very little moderation needed, its the same as player names, a player reports, but again the options i listed would allow people to hide all OTHER player's ship names if they wished.

59 minutes ago, rediii said:

I would welcome names and a entire history of ships. Battles which the ship fought etc (pvp)

But I think admin said some time ago that names would take too much space in the db or something

Get rid of the 'Crafted by' and 'Crafting region' attributes and replace them with names. Voila.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

HMS IL2M41

filter that

still looks horrible

Not as horrible as some character names on the server. If there would be the option to change the name after a capture everyone can solve this problem. Or sink it. A filter that gets updated from time to time sounds good. And digits can be forbidden completely.

• Like 1