Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Flinch

PvP Mark Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

There is a loud minority who hate PvP marks and constantly hate on them but I think for many, if not most they are one of the best features in the game. I fear one day out of the blue admins will listen to the haters and take out PvP marks, let's have an appreciation and idea thread for PvP marks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marks are great. They are sign of achievement.

Funny that the heroes rush to the nearest black market to sell their medals, kind of thing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hanged NA logo in my office as a sign and reminder of a constant achievement.

Edited by H2O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vocal minority.... pffft. They're lazy content for lazy players and encourage bad behavior (alt farming, noob killing, ganking).  As a PvP player, if you want to be able to PvP without engaging in the open world economy it's time to go get your leaderboards on Legends.  This is a sandbox not a match-maker.

If PvP marks stay, they should be for superficial, non-game-changing uses (i.e. buying a pennant, maybe a paint, or granting some other kind of cosmetic). I actually like the soulbound option as well.  You already get paid by the admiralty for sinking ships, you don't deserve special rewards that help winners keep winning and make it so losers have to cheat just to feel like they have a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, H2O said:

I hanged NA logo in my office as a sign and reminder of a constant achievement.

Sell your marks to your colleagues and you should be set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Vocal minority.... pffft. They're lazy content for lazy players and encourage bad behavior (alt farming, noob killing, ganking).  As a PvP player, if you want to be able to PvP without engaging in the open world economy it's time to go get your leaderboards on Legends.  This is a sandbox not a match-maker.

Says the guy who doesnt do OW PvP... ofc u hate PvP marks xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Says the guy who doesnt do OW PvP... ofc u hate PvP marks xD

LOL, you know nothing. I do plenty of open world PvP and have plenty of marks at my disposal, so I think I have plenty of standing to criticize it from the inside.  But I can see what it's doing to the game and there's clearly something broken judging by the number of alt farming threads in the most recent tribunals:

http://forum.game-labs.net/forum/37-tribunal-трибунал/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wraith said:

LOL, you know nothing. I do plenty of open world PvP and have plenty of marks at my disposal, so I think I have plenty of standing to criticize it from the inside.  But I can see what it's doing to the game and there's clearly something broken judging by the number of alt farming threads in the most recent tribunals:

http://forum.game-labs.net/forum/37-tribunal-трибунал/

To be fair. Anytime someone goes on a kill streak in combat news they get accused of alt farming. Happened to me before PvP marks existed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Flinch said:

There is a loud minority who hate PvP marks and constantly hate on them but I think for many, if not most they are one of the best features in the game. I fear one day out of the blue admins will listen to the haters and take out PvP marks, let's have an appreciation and idea thread for PvP marks. 

It doesnt matter if we like current marks or not, its simply not working and bad game design.

OW isnt required for this kind of PvP. Same goes for PBs motivated just by marks, works perfectly without OW. The result: A redundant annoying OW that just slowes everything down for no  reason, enables exploits and promotes unfair behaviour.

We need to figure out how we can make the OW work from economy to conquest, not how we somehow generate more PvP. Otherwise everything you do will remain meaningless. Make marks as valuable as you want, your action wont serve any purpose in this OW.

12 minutes ago, Flinch said:

To be fair. Anytime someone goes on a kill streak in combat news they get accused of alt farming. Happened to me before PvP marks existed. 

Now imagine you had to deal with that on multiple full servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've played any real legit open world PVP type of game that is full loot (and yes this is a full loot pvp game) the reward is taking their items and either selling them or using them for yourself.  Choosing to either sink the ship for a token of participation mark or keep the ship to sell basically boils down to a lazy mechanic that is masking over the fact that this game does not provide enough incentive to PVP without them.  Aka something's fundamentally broken.  The fact that the marks are worth more than the ships you're sinking is absurd.

Marks are lazy and don't belong in full loot style games.  The prize you get from killing another player is and should always be taking their stuff.  If we must have participation marks, they are should just be for cosmetic dick measuring types of items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PvP marks are great. We just need to change how they are granted. For example no marks for killing a ship 2 classes below yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Toto Cabbage said:

PvP marks are great. We just need to change how they are granted. For example no marks for killing a ship 2 classes below yours.

Why? 5th rates kill 3rd rates all the time. Should the 3rd rate not be rewarded for defending itself from a gank? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Why? 5th rates kill 3rd rates all the time. Should the 3rd rate not be rewarded for defending itself from a gank? 

It's only a proposition. It can be BR based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea but then you will get certain people going solo in snows fighting ships and not giving them PvP marks, and we all know how well some people fight in the snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fargo said:

We need to figure out how we can make the OW work from economy to conquest, not how we somehow generate more PvP. Otherwise everything you do will remain meaningless. Make marks as valuable as you want, your action wont serve any purpose in this OW.

Yes. Very much this! Arena games lose flavor pretty quickly with no context behind the battles that give the game meaning. I posted a suggestion earlier in January of a way to make OW more meaningful and give players a reason to be out and about all the time. I'll warn you its a little long winded.

It's not perfect by any means but I think with some changes/tuning/tweaking, we need something like it or else OW will be obsolete.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×