Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 16: Control, Mast and Ship strengths rebalance.

And use only ships that can mount bow chasers... basically reduce ship models count in game by... 60% :D 

... right...

• Sail Force. It's a cancer  paradox of PvP chase, as you're faster than the enemy in OW, but slower in battle. It creates a never-ending circle that you tag someone in OW, but he gets away in battle. Repeat X times until someone gets bored or dies or luckily gets away.

More empirical feedback and tests:

My Bellona with max port speed 11.6 knots goes in battle 14.3 knots.

unknown.png

Making Pirate and Spanish Refits 30% won't make things better. Some ships don't care about main/jib sail force so exchange 30% for 30% is not fair and equal. To be honest, ships with most main sail even get extra speed upwind because of huge 30% bonus to their strong mainsails and negligible jib force malus for their weak jibs. In OW these ships are slow anyway.

Historical/Realism Feedback:

Sync force bonus to OW or remove the malus/negatives of using it in combat or make it something we can activate in combat. In reality, all ships could expand the sails (studding sails or put bigger jibs/staysails) and hide them at will, so malus makes no sense. Make it like 7% bonus, no negatives (maybe more sailing crew)

Edited by Banished Privateer

I really don't like not knowing what my battle speed is actually going to be. I need to test each ship individually with added main sails to see how fast I actually go. 

1 hour ago, admin said:

any feedback on Spanish/ Pirate rig buffs?

Or everyone is happy and enjoying?

Your going to make me use my one Elite Spanish aren't you?  lol

2 hours ago, admin said:

I like the Elite Spanish Rig Refit.

You can't stack it with Bovenwinds or other sorts of rig refits, meaning I can't stack it with french rig. This seems like a good way to keep some balance around it: I can be very fast downwind but my masts aren't as strong (I'm spreading extra sails so my masts take more strain). It does add a LOT of downwind speed, but for the things you give up, I think it will balance alright. It definitely hurts when going close hauled.

I haven't tried Elite Pirate Rig or Pirate Rig Refit yet. I've got several of each but I've not yet decided which ship to put them on. Endymion with upwind buffs might be good, but then losing all that square sail bonus may make it too slow downwind. In previous testing of sail force bonuses, I noticed a point where adding more staysail force and subtracting square sail force begins to just make you slower all around. Maybe that has changed recently though. L'Hermione would be very interesting to test with upwind speed buffs, but if it doesn't work out, the ship would still be useless, so I'm hesitant to put one of my refits on it. L'Hermione really does need some buffs before it can really become a competitive 5th rate. I'm thinking of testing a Surprise with pirate rig or elite pirate rig...that could be a very good setup for raiding.

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

• Sail Force. It's a cancer  paradox of PvP chase, as you're faster than the enemy in OW, but slower in battle. It creates a never-ending circle that you tag someone in OW, but he gets away in battle. Repeat X times until someone gets bored or dies or luckily gets away.

More empirical feedback and tests:

My Bellona with max port speed 11.6 knots goes in battle 14.3 knots.

Making Pirate and Spanish Refits 30% won't make things better. Some ships don't care about main/jib sail force so exchange 30% for 30% is not fair and equal. To be honest, ships with most main sail even get extra speed upwind because of huge 30% bonus to their strong mainsails and negligible jib force malus for their weak jibs. In OW these ships are slow anyway.

Historical/Realism Feedback:

Sync force bonus to OW or remove the malus/negatives of using it in combat or make it something we can activate in combat. In reality, all ships could expand the sails (studding sails or put bigger jibs/staysails) and hide them at will, so malus makes no sense. Make it like 7% bonus, no negatives (maybe more sailing crew)

gotta agree here, i've never really liked using these mods because they didn't work in OW.

31 minutes ago, Knobby said:

gotta agree here, i've never really liked using these mods because they didn't work in OW.

they cant work in OW and will never work there. Physics does not and will not exist in open world and sailing is based on physics

2 hours ago, Flinch said:

I really don't like not knowing what my battle speed is actually going to be. I need to test each ship individually with added main sails to see how fast I actually go. 

well - every ship after any refit was undegoing sea trials. Captains did not know ANYTHING about their ship they got until they sailed it. 

3 hours ago, admin said:

I think the buff is to big,

also if you compare the rigs (Spanish/pirate)to the module slots such as treatise on square sails, as they pretty much are 5-10x as powerful I think that a lot of people will be struggling to use the knowledge skills when one know the rigs are so much more powerful.

I think reduce the bonus on the rigs and increase on the knowledge skills so stacking is still a option.

However I am enjoying the elite Spanish on my Aga Very much indeed, but yeah maybe a bit on the strong side.

1 hour ago, admin said:

they cant work in OW and will never work there. Physics does not and will not exist in open world and sailing is based on physics

But couldn't you approximate it? Api has speed modifiers for angles to the wind to simulate sailing profile in OW, right?

So currently you have speed mods that influence base speed that then is modified by the api wind angle modifiers to give the current speed at ow at a certain angle to the wind. What if these studding and staysails and rig refits modify not the base speed but the api wind angle modifiers and thus change the OW sailing profile?

Edited by Knobby

On 2/8/2018 at 3:24 AM, admin said:

Captains
Patch has been deployed 

Whats new

• Control perk has been added to all ships with no bow gun ports (no chasers).
  •  

My pickle has no control which is either the title of a bad teen movie or the description of the possible bug I am reporting.

Since it has no bow chasers, I think under the new patch the pickle is supposed to have control. It doesn't. Or at least you don't see the word Control on top of screen. 

Edited by Farrago

6 hours ago, admin said:

well - every ship after any refit was undegoing sea trials. Captains did not know ANYTHING about their ship they got until they sailed it.

I love how passionate you are about your game... :lol:

15 hours ago, admin said:

i know this would be hard to do but it's just an idea :

Is it possible that you could add us the option to run a little "simulation" (it's ok if it takes couple of minutes) where the ship would be put in battle (whether we actually see it on screen or not doesn't really matter) and the game would calculate the max speed of the ship on different points of sails and generate something like a graph , store it in the ship as it's specification and use that in OW? and perhaps make it optional so if you're in a rush to help a friend and throw a refit on a ship that you just crafted/bought you don't have to wait .. your OW will be lower but would be ok

there must be some graph for each ship dictating their performance in OW this is how you were able to make them sail a little better upwind in OW than they sail in battle  so could this simulation/calculation edit that data for each specific ship?

Edited by John Sheppard

16 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Pirate refit looks nothing exceptional in Connie... I'd like to point again that jib/main sail power mods looks barely working if ever in her.

Sail force mods emphasize strengths better than weaknesses. Don't try to turn a downwind ship into an upwind ship. Instead add square rigs to a downwind ship to make it a God downwind.

1 hour ago, Flinch said:

Sail force mods emphasize strengths better than weaknesses. Don't try to turn a downwind ship into an upwind ship. Instead add square rigs to a downwind ship to make it a God downwind.

I know.

As far as I remember Connie is a better upwinder than downwinder atm... and indeed has a quite high percentage of jib looking at other ship.

So Connie should benefits more from Pirate refit than Spanish one.

18 hours ago, admin said:

Maybe you could calculate increase/decrease of speed for certain courses based on percentage of jib/main sails, and apply them flattly on the OW? Even if it wouldn't be perfect, it could help.

It's not the critical issue in my eyes though. I'm more or less ok with current changes, except for:

• some skill knowledges are right now useless when compared to upgrades
  • if ship konwledges wouldn't be useless, they would allow to create an OP combo.

19 hours ago, admin said:

If they can't work in OW, then remove them.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:43 PM, admin said:

Used the regular Pirate Rig Refit and the Treatise of Staysails Trim on a teak/teak Constitution. Only other mods were speed and light ropes. Good. Really, really good. Could achieve speed like 8.1 knts on 45° to the wind and coming out of the tacking with speed of 3.1 knts if i do it right. :D

I wonder what a Elite Pirate Rig Refit would do with her ...

On the downside, her downwind performance is severely lowered. But that's ok imho

Edit: Used it in battle, didn't notice a big difference in ow

Edited by Bragan Benigaris

Masts have been this kind of "I win" button.

Leaks are still, you can basically sink someone with one broadside.  Sinking will also happen like in 30 seconds.  You should nerf Leaks.  It would be better if more men are needed or that it takes very long time to pump all out, not just sink right there.  It should need way more leaks to be able to sink directly.

Masts and Leaks are both suffering from the fact that cannons are super accurate.  Cannons are not moving up and down with waves after fire command.  This makes water line shots to be even deadlier.

Then and if there is going to be this chain-sail-lock.

You are building locations to shoot, things that players can shoot at.  If this kind of locations are very efficient, it is actually decreasing tactical part.  Also maneuvering should have bigger role.

Trick shots, if made powerful, can and will destroy the "base" game.  You should get an advantage but not direct "I win".

You nerfed hull thickness too much.  Sure, mast thickness as well.

Angling hull means next to nothing if hull thickness is very low.  Probably Cartagena mod is and has been breaking hull thickness balance.  Nerf the mod and buff hull thickness.

Small ships have lost so much hull and masts that those are less competitive vs bigger ships.  Big ships should be better but something left for smaller ships as well.  Else we may end up to a situation where everyone is simply sailing a SOL.

Also Dear @admin, can you explain why PvP focused game needs gear advantage veteran players?

Counter Strike is a very popular PvP oriented game.  Do you think CS would be that popular if some players would have better gear than others or more money to spend?