Game-Labs Forum
SKurj

Mods, Knowledge... Open World vs Battle...

Ok So I made 2 identical fir/fir trader lynxes though one got strong rig...  (i sailed that one) the other I added to fleet.

I added staysails and treatise on staysails plus winged out ballast to my ship and nothing to the fleet ship. No perms at all.

I was slower in open world with fleet than without...

I thought these knowledges had no effect in ow.....    or do they...?

I thought the only thing that worked in ow was loodsman

@SKurj

Quick answer I believe when you sailed solo it was closer to beam-reached or close-hauled. When with the fleet you slightly sailed more with the wind. The slower effects will be from your ships added mods. Yes, the bonuses +/- are big enough here for you to feel the effects in Open World.

Below is the basic process I used added just for reference...

Norfolk.

OK first off let’s see what you’ve got...

1x Trader Lynx Fir/Fir with a Strong Rig. [TLsr]

1x Trader Lynx Fir/Fir [TL]

Go to the speed calculator link and enter Fir/Fir Lynx. No skill books or Perm Mods Gives a BASE speed of 12.07kn +1.73kn build bonus to equal 13.28kn. Next go to @TommyShelby POST on New “Special” Trims. Look for Strong Rig and you’ll find just a Mast Thickness bonus with no positive or negative speed effects.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/23176-ship-speed-calculator/

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24683-new-special-trims/

Both ships have a max speed of 13.28kn. Now let’s look at the extra skills you added. You can use the link below but some mods and skills are dated so cross check in the game.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/20342-crafting-wood-and-trim-modifiers-patch-110/

Staysails

NONE | MAST_PHYSICS_MAIN_SAIL_FORCE_BONUS | -0.02

NONE | MAST_PHYSICS_JIB_SAIL_FORCE_BONUS | 0.03

NONE | SHIP_MAX_ROLL_ANGLE | 10%

NONE | SAILING_CREW_REQUIRED | 7%

A Treatise on Staysails Trim

NONE | MAST_PHYSICS_MAIN_SAIL_FORCE_BONUS | -0.03

NONE | MAST_PHYSICS_JIB_SAIL_FORCE_BONUS | 0.03

*Part of Elite Pirate Rig Refit Blueprint*

Winged-out Ballast

MAST | MAST_TOP_SECTION_HP | MAST_MIDDLE_SECTION_HP | MAST_BOTTOM_SECTION_HP | 20%

NONE | SHIP_MAX_ROLL_ANGLE | 5%

DECK_ALL | CANNON_DISPERSION_VERTICAL_PER100M | -5%

The Staysails & Treaties on Staysail Trim will give you a small boost against the wind and a negative with the wind. Winged out ballast no real impact. The Lynx is a Fore and Aft rigged ship which makes her good for sailing close-hauled and beam reach. The skills added improve upon its sail profile beam and close-hauled but will slow you down when with the wind.

http://www.navalactionwiki.com/index.php?title=Traders_Lynx

Fleet guide lines

The fleets maximum speed will be capped to the slowest ship in the fleet. When you add a ship to FLEET that ship it will not add your skills knowledge but will recognize the Permanent upgrades (last told). So, in your case it will depend on the direction of travel on who’s the faster boat.

Open World to BATTLE instances

Open World speed is roughly 20x that of Real Life. While BATTLE instances are 5x. This means that any mod added will suffer a dilution effect in OW compared to BATTLE or real life for that matter. At 20x the mod would need to make a significant impact to show in OW.

The Wood Frame and build Trim show in OW which should be used as a guide. A Live Oak/Oak Trader Lynx top speed is 10.95kn some 17.5% slower than yours which will obviously show. A Plus and Minus 5% or 6% bonus will also show a small effect in OW.

Summary

I think when you sailed Solo you travelled closer to Beam Reach or even against the wind. While with fleet closer with the wind so your ship would slow the fleet down not the one in the fleet.