Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aetius

Some Information on Scaling

Someone may have already figured this out, but it's new to me and pretty important, especially for players on Legendary, so I thought I should post it.

tl;dr - Add small, weak units to your army roster in order to reduce battle scaling.

My hypothesis is that the "battle value" for each unit is calculated by multiplying unit strength by an experience multiplier. My initial, very rough guess on these multipliers is 0.8 for zero-star units, 1.0 for one-star units, and 1.2 for two-star units - not sure on three-star units. The scaling is based on the average battle value of all the units in your army. This means that a 2,000-man two-star brigade (bv: 2400) and a 500-man zero-star brigade (bv: 400) are treated by the scaling system as bv 1,400, or nearly half what the value would be with only the 2,000-man brigade. Thus by adding these "ballast" units, you can drag down your average battle value and remove thousands of troops from the enemy roster without firing a shot. These units don't even have to go into battle, although it would probably be beneficial if they did, because casualties would reduce their size, further pulling down the average battle value.

With the caveat that these are still very rough numbers, and I haven't done a thorough investigation:

Very interesting.  Although I'm not sure if "battle value" is really a thing, or if it is simply a matter of numbers.  i.e. I wonder if a 500 man 3 star acts the same as a 500 man zero star so far as scaling.

Another thing I've wondered is how artillery is treated in scaling.  Star quality aside, is a 24-gun battery seen simply as a 600-man unit, or equivalent to a 2500-man brigade?

1 hour ago, Fred Sanford said:

Very interesting.  Although I'm not sure if "battle value" is really a thing, or if it is simply a matter of numbers.  i.e. I wonder if a 500 man 3 star acts the same as a 500 man zero star so far as scaling.

I don't think it does, but it's definitely worth investigating. I did some earlier testing while trying to figure this out. 4 two-star brigades with 1450 triggered scaling. However, disbanding and re-creating those units as one-stars permitted me to bump them up to 1750 before the scaling hit. It's definitely possible that the multipliers aren't fixed, but are instead just based on the unit's base xp.

30 minutes ago, Bramborough said:

Another thing I've wondered is how artillery is treated in scaling.  Star quality aside, is a 24-gun battery seen simply as a 600-man unit, or equivalent to a 2500-man brigade?

As near as I can tell, it works the same way, but I think they are siloed - at least, adding large numbers of infantry didn't add any additional guns in this video, and removing the one 3-gun unit did add a gun to the scaling. I think artillery might be harder because the units are smaller and more incremental, but I'll have to test it.