Game-Labs Forum
Jack Wheeler

Thickness and crew damage

So i recently went into a 1vs25 battle with a Live Oak /White Oak Santísima, with a Cartagena Caulking Refit, Navy Structure Refit, and a Reinforced Stern, the total thickness amounted to 104, and Stern thickness 89.6.

Throughout the battle my ship lost very little health or armor, because the vast majority of shots bounced off. However, even when shots bounced off the sides, my crew still dropped quickly. 

So my question is: How come crew is dying when cannonballs aren't even penetrating the armor? How does that work?

5 hours ago, Jack Wheeler said:

How come crew is dying

How many did you lose?

(There are crew hitboxes on the (weather?)deck largely uprotected)

On 2/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, Banished Privateer said:

Balls go through the gun ports or hit the weather deck (open side).

Yeah, i know, but i also noticed crew numbers decreasing even when cannonballs were bouncing off. Could see it clearly when the opposing ship fired one and one cannonball.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, jodgi said:

How many did you lose?

(There are crew hitboxes on the (weather?)deck largely uprotected)

It totaled to about 600, somewhere around there. Im perfectly fine with loosing crew etc., In fact, in a 1v25 battle i would expect to lose even more crew than a mere 600. 

What i was curious about though, was mainly why my crew dropped even when shots werent actually penetrating my hull. As i stated above, i noticed this when ships were firing single cannons at my side, and you clearly saw the shots bounce off.

spalling...  i could be wrong but i think this is modelled so its the splintering killing crew.... even if the ball doesn't go right through.