Game-Labs Forum
admin

Combat tutorial feedback

7 hours ago, z4ys said:

Before you always face a rookie brig. Now it's a normal brig. So fight is harder. But yeah description would be nice.

I have killed that brig, then a new one appears. How is this challange won? After 1 hour 30 minutes survival?

12 hours ago, pietjenoob said:

that is impossible

It is possible , other player was albatrosxx.

Albatros said they where sailing around jamaica and joined a battle.

I was doing 1st tutorial challenge

Round 2 of my review

This will count for all of the Extras

• The extras need to be named in battle instance
  • Name the objective, like get rid of the 2 mast of the brig
  • Maybe put tips in there like to demast or so

Hi

Great tutorials Admin and the gang.

I managed to break the boarding one.  Boarding complete and ship looted but stuck on previous step.

I think it is because i was stationary whilst still stripping his armor.  the check might be for a ship slowing below 3.5 knots, which is missed if already below 3.5 knots.

image.thumb.png.210fbe03b252ef0807e115487c54e303.png

On Thursday, February 01, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Ink said:

Please try to double click on E right away (and other similar tasks in the chapter) - this workaround should help you

Today i double tap the E key on my keyboard and all worked ok. I finished the sail tutorial.

The boarding tutorial btw. is like: "Kid, the first letters of the alphabet are A, B and C. Now please write a novel about the meaning of life."

There should be (like for the other tutorials too) an advanced tutorial, where the correlations of different factors (marines, Muskets, Pistols, fencing skills,... preparation, morale and the time to choose for player and NPC) are explained.

Maybe by tutorial step one: Board an Indiaman with a LGV Refit. The scenario starts with the Indy's sails to 50% and the Crew down to 300, the LGV e.g. with Marines 20 and Rum Rations.

For the second step: Defend the Indy (e.g. full crew and barricades) against a boarding warship (Heavy Frigate or 4th rate).

Explain the correlations (of factors and upgrades/knowledge) and all aspects of boarding during a scripted fight.

• Like 2

Boarding tutorial doesn't really add much info after the boarding stops. Teach why/when to use the commands, not how.

• Like 2

Until now i did half tutorial, until boarding/capturing tutorial.

Since this game has a realistic sailing even if it’s not a true sail simulator, i miss some good sailing theory. I think that a very short explanation video before to start every tutorial could works because IMO throwing in the action the newcomers shouldn’t be a very good idea: too much to know, so it should be better to borrow tutorial’s style from the true simulators, in which there’s theory and practice separated.

Second: the name “tutorial” is totally appropriate, but maybe a more creative name should be better: something like “Become a sailor!”; “Seewolves school” or more prosaic “Naval Academy”, “Captains School”. Something like those ones, because “Tutorial” seems to me a Windows 10 folder... 

The practical boarding/capturing tutorial is ok, maybe it takes a bit long to demast, to destroy a ship’s side, than to kill sailors and at last boarding and capture ships, therefore maybe, previous, a little advice that war in the age of sail is not so quick as a lap in F1 games, should be a good idea: at least the newcomer knows that the game is slower than an average MMO game and he/she can “enter in the mood” better, without wrong expectations.

Last, and then i will go bed, could be a nice idea to create a ship’s park, with all ships ingame pictures. Players love to see vessels in detail...

Edited by blubasso

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Like the Rise of Flight Training Campaign ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vez3R9ylKs

Yes, sort of... With or without voice leading the newcomer into the sailig/combat theory

I have RoF and if you don’t know how to properly fly a biplane (theory and practice), it’s a real nightmare: you will not even take off due to the gyroscopic effect of propeller, and even if you take off, wothout both tutorials you will crash 100 meters after due your engine seizing...

Edited by blubasso

I mean explanation of the how and why, before you do certain action.

15 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I mean explanation of the how and why, before you do certain action.

Yes: theory school. Exactly. :)

Every part of the whole tutorial has a properly theoretical explanation before to go in the practical one: what’s “wind”, what has it to do in connection with sails and so on; a very short explanation on how a cannon ball can penetrates various wood types and so on. It’s not a matter to explane all game mechanics, just a little bit to give the “taste”...

Edited by blubasso
  • Like 1

Did the four Tutorials and preparing myself for the Exams next.

Have very few suggestions that aren't covered already.

1. In the Pursuit and Capture the HINTS should cycle to remember the player the several mechanics he learned earlier - usage of depower, remembering to use the yards to turn, the changing of broadside rolling, etc

2. Make the notepad bigger.

4. Add a BATTLE OVER period with debriefing/achievements summary and not the sudden close.

• Like 1

I finally got around to testing the first four tutorials. Nice job so far.

When I was at the main tutorial menu and wanted to leave the tutorial screen, hitting "ESC" brings my chat window to the front. Only hitting "ESC" a second time brings up the option to continue, leave game, etc. 

Whatever is written in the beautiful script below the word Tutorials is too small to read at 1920x1080 on my 15" laptop.

In the Gunnery Tutorial, you use the terms Port and Starboard. In subsequent tutorials, you use the terms left and right. I would recommend consistency. Define port and starboard for the newbie in the first lesson and use port and starboard after that.

I only saw a reset button at the end of each tutorial. I'd recommend always having the option to reset to beginning of the tutorial or at least go back one step in a lesson.

In the first lesson, tell the newbie that he can hold down the control key to move the mouse pointer to point at something on screen without changing his ship view.

The terms "Id: 0, Id: 1, Id: 2" etc mean Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, right? Id: X is an odd way to label your steps/instructions.

In sailing tutorial, it instructs to turn right or left 30 degrees. I assume now that you mean to turn a continuous turn well past 30 degrees and keep turning. That seems to be the only thing that will "complete" the step. Simply turning 30 degrees and continuing the new course would not complete the step for me.

In the pursuit and capture tutorial, you might want to take this opportunity to explain the capture vs sink option and the fleet perk.

A list or picture of keyboard commands should always only be a click or two away in game. This goes beyond tutorial.

Edited by Farrago

I strongly doubt that a new player can achieve the survival challenge. 

Few repairs, almost no armor, paper ship facing two succeeding ships with a stronger armor...

Edited by Eleazar de Damas

On 2/8/2018 at 11:53 AM, Hethwill said:

Did the four Tutorials and preparing myself for the Exams next.

Have very few suggestions that aren't covered already.

1. In the Pursuit and Capture the HINTS should cycle to remember the player the several mechanics he learned earlier - usage of depower, remembering to use the yards to turn, the changing of broadside rolling, etc

2. Make the notepad bigger.

4. Add a BATTLE OVER period with debriefing/achievements summary and not the sudden close.

1) Very good idea! New players could forget all, in the middle of the battle. It happens enough often, until all is automatized.

2) For me is ok, but i can figure out someone with a laptop or a little monitor could have some problems. You should let the player choose which is the best for him, click and drag the corner of the notepad, perhaps.

3) Yes and no: someone who has no interest to debriefing could find it boring. I personally find it a good idea.

• Like 1

Tutorial Feedback 1 to 8

@admin & @Ink

Found the tutorial post page... I’m an idiot. @Ink if you want to delete the previous one feel free...

Would also like this tutorial Linked to NA-L upon its return...

Gunnery Tutorial 1

The Instructional Notepad on the right-hand side needs moving up to the center. Make the notepad slightly larger in size.

Mouse Wheel scroll +/- first...

Wording needs changing. Start with words like FRONT BACK LEFT RIGHT sides with (Bow, Stern, Port etc bracketed). Use the correct term “Look from the Back to the FRONT towards the Bow”. “Look from the Right (Starboard) side towards the Left (PORT), then Right mouse click to enter the aim mode”. Start with longer terms then cut it down.

Firing Sector Basics.

You introduce the enemy boat too soon. Confuses the learner as the enemy boat is on the wrong side and looks like the tutorial has locked up. Re-Reading the instructions clears this up.

Move “Tips” Down as can be hard to see against the bright beautiful sky scene and is covered by the CONTROL symbol.

Like how you isolated other functions to stop confusion and the mouse graphic. Also Changing controls actual appear in the tutorial... nice touch

Gun Convergence

After destroying the enemy side, you then ask to load grape 1,3 and on the other broadside 2,3. This might not be clear enough. Small point, if you don’t load the other broadside the tutorial again becomes locked. So, kill the ability to FIRE until both sides are loaded with grape.

Sailing Tutorial 2

Setting Sails

OK “Tips” Lower also make it a solid blue/grey background like the titles. Too hard to see clearly with rigging and other notes overlaying...

Chat window – lock the ability. Confuses if entered accidently

Turning

Ask the player to “Look Back to Front, following the boat moving forward” This less confusing reversing left to right etc. May miss the A circle at the end...

Instead of saying “Turn 30 degrees to the right”, Use fixed number placements to start with. So, boat starts at 270 degrees [locking other steering functions] say “turn the ship right using [KEY] to 315 degrees.

Use the 30 degrees instruction later.

Special Maneuvers Tutorial 3

Using Front & Back Yards

Once again get the player to look back to front...

Can’t read all the instructions. Notepad too small...

Exercises need to be slightly longer to see the full effect. I like the A circle objective target at the end.

Using Yards to slow down...

Need to explain what Staysails are. Perhaps with a side view and a “T” depower explanation.

Getting out of Irons...

Like it. Might want to explain what you will ask beforehand... a lot going on...

Also, rudder return [D] key is NOT linked to my individual controls.

Pursuit and Capture Tutorial4

Nothing that I haven’t said before. Like the flow of this one also. Nice job.

Tutorials 5-8 Feedback

Give some explanation on the rewards given and where to find them. The BATTLE report details explained currently not adding to the PCs a/c. Change “id0,1,2,3...” to “Step 1,2,3...”

Somehow incorporate the use of the MAP function. Go find an enemy target...

Destruction Challenge 5

Give some kind of introduction. Build the atmosphere and what you want him to do.

“The renegade Pirate “Blackjack Jack” you’ve finally tracked down sailing the hijacked Brig he stole from K/PR. Give no quarter Captain [player’s name...] send him to Davey Jones Locker with all due haste.”

“BEAT TO QUARTERS...”

De-Masting Challenge 6

Again, some form of introduction needed.

Boarding Challenge 7

As above.

Endurance Challenge 8

Ego’s aside this is way too hard for a beginner. The repairs etc don’t work. Remember as a beginner the first missions are murder as well. Let’s not kill off the new blood too early...

Re-work it this way. Start with enemy Brig with 50 CREW and small repairs of Hull, Rig and Rum. This to encourage a boarding and learn to repair.

Then, the next brig 50 CREW and then 110 CREW Brig... Would start them further away to encourage telescope and map use.

Make the mission length 30 minutes max. All others ran for 10 minutes or so...

He survives he keeps the Brig an repairs...

In Summary

Really like the tutorial and the feel of it. Needs a little attention but a good start. Keep in mind who the tutorial is for...

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

Edited by Norfolk nChance

Was doing the final exam (as Kpt Flugente in game). I was running away for repairs when suddenly the second Cerb turned away and run. Could not get it in time. Funny thing... did F11.