Game-Labs Forum

JonnyH13's Mod Alpha 2 (Defunct!)

JonnyH13

5aba03d63aada_NickThomadis.jpg.589144a5e0655d9c18c11784b136172f.jpg

Found a limited way to Edit Names and change appearance, and rank of the random Officers.

The Names are 2 part (Name + Surname) separated by an ascii character (those ascii are easier seen as Integers with numerical values being "null" equivalent to 0, or 1 to blank space). So you must fit the given name in the original space of the old name or surname. There are various separator characters (whose meanings i don't know), and if you put the wrong one, you trash the file. The easiest way is to copy existing ones. So trial and error...

The faces have different Offsets to control hair, beard, eyes, mouth, etc... So random numbers give different faces.

You can change the offsets values and get different results. But if you mess with the numbers, Officers will disappear or trash the savegame (i.e. if there are 3 eye types and you put 4 as value, the officer and anyone below him will disappear, game doesn't crash). If you change the incorrect value offset savegame won't load (even game can auto-delete the trashed file. In fact I think game doesn't recognize the savegame data or header, so does not appear in the list).

Hero Characters have a specific portrait file that I can't edit (being this my Main Goal).

For example: Ewell

Names.thumb.jpg.46381820b0c6aff893689e260ffbcddd.jpg

5aba12e44c838_Integer1byte.thumb.jpg.c26facddd60e5af4e44cf8c39a6318a2.jpg

Hexadecimal.thumb.jpg.cfbfef30117cc92ea1ce53646c8c2e77.jpg

3 Snapshots of the same savegame file, seen as Text, Integer 1 byte and Hexadecimal data.

In this case, Ewell's portrait (or image or data) is stored in the encrypted database (probably resources.assets) as Officer/Heroes/South_Hero_Ewell·Richard|Ewell.

Casual Discovery: that "È" and "B" store the Officers Xp value (seen as 1 byte Integer E= 200 and B = 66 for a maxed Lt. Gen.) (17096 seen as Integer 2 bytes before the game translates that value as a 0-100 white bar + rank) and the 10 Column character next to the B, a "-" ascii character, is the Rank (0-6 = 6 for a Lt. Gen.) They are always 3 cells apart after the last Surname letter and there can be some other unknown data in those blank cells.

The Addresses change a lot (because the game's way of storing data) so it's impossible to make a Table of fixed locations. You must track each name, recognize the structure (data is repeated several times, 1 time for the OOB, another time for the commanded Unit, and in the case of Heroes they appear as rewards so be cautious) and edit the correct part.

It's like:

Game Engine stores Officers & Units in an array of data. If you change the officer of an unit in game, the data sifts the position. Also the data is stored continuous, so you can't insert/inject clusters of your own data (i.e. change the random officer copy-pasting Hero data to get 2 Jackson's or to get Hampton) if they don't fit in the previous space.

Weapons are stored within each Unit data cluster as text, which leads the engine to know which weapon type is used (also stored in resources.assets) preventing us to edit (as long as the weapon name does not fit the previous one ;)). So it's easier to edit the Armory and give them the weapons desired.

I will Update if i get more advances.

Also, got the Money, Men, Reputation, Armory quantities positions, and a few bits more of info (unit's soldiers/guns quantity, command, efficiency, morale, stamina, firearms, melee... this are stored as Float 4 bytes (so numbers like 1499.25/1500.00 with decimals)). But as i said before, data sifts, so you must know how to find the structure, and have a good editing tool.

Table.thumb.jpg.8d571a228e9fb03d56c935dbad76df8f.jpg

This is a Table to find Money in-game (Address seen on the left side, Integer 4 bytes), then the others values are tracked by the relative position to the Money Address (Right side).

The Money Address changes position with each load/reload/battle/camp travel of the game (even between different savegames). So you must search for the Money quantity again and use Auto Apply the Offset to All right-click button feature upon Money Address to correct the data position sift.

You can edit the Value column and work with eye-friendly numbers. A unit with 99.00 in all 5 stats comes with 3 Perks from scratch. So, NO MORE TEDIOUS LEVELING to make tests.

Have similar Table for Weapon Quantity, so you can make virtually the desired unit from the start... (just past the Potomac Fort scenario).

Armory.jpg.cc4d522150e911098e1f86d5183169d4.jpg

Edited by LAntorcha
Edited to add Moar Info...
  • Like 1

Yes they do. That's independent.

You just buy some weapons (say 111 Farmers) then search for "111" number. 111, 77 or 11 are good numbers cause they are prime and odd.

Then go back to the game, buy some more (lets say till you have 133), then continue filtering search again for "133".

On my experience 2 filterings are enough. If the number is big (and "unique") 1 filtering could be enough as is the case of big Money.

You could just buy 1 or 2 and start searching, but those are too common numbers in the game. So, many more searches are required.

Negative or abstract numbers (health bars) are tougher to find.

If anyone is interested on the tables, just PM me and I would explain more about.

CSA Legendary campaign with the mod update. Have made it through Gettysburg in decent shape. The strength of skirmishers and cavalry make Rio Hill, Brandy Station, and the first phase of Gettysburg very difficult to complete without significant losses. 1st day of Gettysburg required a complete change of strategy as capturing McPhersons Ridge early resulted in getting slaughtered by artillery and skirmishers. Might be easier if you don't put a third of your infantry brigades into the division that doesn't show up on day 1 though. Spencers, 1863's, snipers, and 20 pdr parrots are starting to show up and they are all extremely dangerous when you're heavily outnumbered and can't pick them off.

Everettsville was also much harder than vanilla. Morale damage when fighting in heavy cover is extremely low. Isolated brigades can withstand fire from 3 sides for a long time. I'm expecting the first phase of Chickamauga and trying to win on the second day(third day trigger is bugged) to be a nightmare.

Thanks for the feedback.  Currently I am working on adding the modded perks into the game as well as rebalancing the fortifications throughout the campaign.  I am also slowly working my way through the entire campaign for both sides and writing down some possible changes regarding base troop size and quality.

• Like 1

This MOD looks great. I have finished the campaigns for both the Union and the CSA at Colonel and Brigader level..... currently making my way through as the Union on MG level... but after finding this, I will restart the campaign to give this mod a try. Excellent!

I think we are able to change the Weapons image without changing it's internal ID by brute Hex editing.

That's not a photoshoped snapshot. It's a GIMP modified TGA imported into the resources.assets file.

I took Palmetto+Saber and Re-Bored Farmer Musket Exports... Edit. Rename. Import. Restart Game.

It works as long as you don't change sizes, etc...

Edited.jpg.5121318a5169c447b0b28a07070637e1.jpg5abf65c9cdd56_EditedII.jpg.897dea3a789f41886ab5554e8d52fcb1.jpg

Hypothesis: same process could be done with Hero portraits, but not with the random Officers.

I hope it helps weapon modders.

Edit: I was going to write Penis/Penis as a proof over the weapons, but then i refrained... :D

Edited by LAntorcha

Have not tried the perks part yet but just read though it. If some of that stacks up it seems you can boost your melee damage up 150% to 200%. That seems a little much to me and might end up in steam roll charges depending on how you build your Corps. Also it could end up the same if the AI is using the same bonus as you. Will take some major testing to see how so much focus on the charges affect the outcome. 

Charge damage only affects the unit if it is charging.  Once when the charge runs out they will have normal melee. You could charge from far away but you’ll have less charge time. Or you can charge from close range but you will be taking more fire. There are give or takes for each perk when compared with other perks. 

It is fully intended for the AI to have the same perks as you. 

This mod your mod makes, make an addictive game more even more so. I opted to start a new campaign as CSA on BG level. I am anout to start the 2nd bull run and most say, in the past for the CSA, the issue has always been manpower; having enough manpower to fill out the complete divisions. Now, I have almost 7K men left in the pool and two complete corps and starting on my third, but the problem is the money.... there is not enough. I have the politics max out at 10, trained replacement at 7 and still there is no enough money. Just wanted to share on what I am seeing. Great work.

@i64man It sounds like you're playing the version with the weapon changes at the moment, rather than the perks? I had a lot of fun with that iteration, so I'd probably recommend sticking to it until the latest version gets weapon updates included.

The weapon prices are very expensive, so I would recommend investing in economy and medicine before politics. On my play through I started with 3 economy, bumped it up to 4 or 5 while getting AO up to 6-9(can invest less if you aren't manipulating scaling) and then maxed medicine. Since medicine returns veterans and their rifles I consider it more valuable than the other options once I've acquired enough initial equipment. I also use up all of my available reputation points buying rifles which helps a lot. The 1853 Enfields are almost always offered and they are fantastic early rifles in the mod.

7 hours ago, pandakraut said:

@i64man It sounds like you're playing the version with the weapon changes at the moment, rather than the perks? I had a lot of fun with that iteration, so I'd probably recommend sticking to it until the latest version gets weapon updates included.

The weapon prices are very expensive, so I would recommend investing in economy and medicine before politics. On my play through I started with 3 economy, bumped it up to 4 or 5 while getting AO up to 6-9(can invest less if you aren't manipulating scaling) and then maxed medicine. Since medicine returns veterans and their rifles I consider it more valuable than the other options once I've acquired enough initial equipment. I also use up all of my available reputation points buying rifles which helps a lot. The 1853 Enfields are almost always offered and they are fantastic early rifles in the mod.

Pandakraut, you are correct, I am using the first iteration of the mod, and looking forward to installed the perks as soon as the weapons are balanced. I am actually considering investing my points into economy and medicine. On my previous play through for the CSA, max medicine is important for the same thing you said. thanks.

19 hours ago, JonnyH13 said:

Sure I will let you use the weapon changes.  I currently am rebalancing the weapons to meet the perks so the current weapon mods will be different than the end result.  

I got the chance to try out your mod today. I always thought the original pacing felt sluggish to me so I really enjoyed the changes you made.

Anyway, here are a few things to consider; Cavalry is op, it basically feels like a zerg. Cav were already decent but your changes makes them insane. Cav are faster and take less damage, and in the late game once you equip them with spencer carbines you got yourself unstopable killing machines capable of wiping out any unit in seconds. I know that alot of this stems from the AIs inability to counter cavalry manoeuvres effectively and leaving several of their units exposed (mainly their artillery) but something about cav being way too efficient in a civil war game doesn`t feel right to me.

I tried the battle of Wasington and Richmond and was able to overrun the enemy both times in a couple minutes using 5 units of 750 cav and used my infantry to charge and mop up the remaining battered enermy units. These blitzkrieg style battles end up becoming an absolute slaughter.

Skirmishers and unmounted cav are literally useless, they get out run by infantry and cav slaughters them, maybe I just really dislike skirms, its hard to tell. I havent tried snipers but I never use them in the late game anyway.

I think reducing cav ammo by at least 50% would be a good starting point. I would also cap the max size of cav units to 300 or 400

Great job so far though, cheers

@aileycc Are your results from the weapons changes version or the perk changes version of the mod. Also, what difficulty are you playing on?

Cav is definitely too good in both versions for different reasons and are being toned down in the next version. Snipers are amazing in both mod versions and in the normal game if you're willing to micromanage them. I would say they are close to mandatory on Legendary(but that could just be me). Mainly they allow you to deal large amounts of damage while taking few casualties. I have seen people use dismounted cav and non sniper skirmishers well but that's not something I've ever been successful with.

@pandakraut I am using the lastest version with perk changes and playing on MG difficulty (non legendary). I may fire up a legendary campaign with the CSA so my results will likely change. After a couple more battles though, earthwork forts need to be fixed, I think thats already been covered in the thread. Battles like Laurel Hill are basically impossible to defend when playing with the CSA. Again, could be me doing something wrong. Have you had any similar experiences when defending while being outnumbered? Im refering to battles like Laurel Hill in particular.

Edited by aileycc
word

I haven't played many of the later battles where fortifications start to get useful using the perk changes. I pulled an old Laurel hill legendary save where my army was based on the weapon changes mod(sub-optimal rifles for vanilla and sub-optimal perk choices) and I played up to the counterattack portion of the battle and was able to hold with acceptable losses outnumbered ~25k to 54k. The allied units seemed to do fairly well in the fortifications. They would hold until 3-5 units piled up in front of them and routed them with rifle fire. Snipers to hit the flanks were very helpful in managing the AI buildup since the terrain is very favorable for it. If I tried again I would probably bring 3 units of them in my first deployment instead of bringing in more artillery.

One thing that could be the issue is how the AI perk selections went. If you ended up against a bunch of max speed or max morale perk units that would be much more difficult to deal with. Both of those values are currently too strong and will be going down in the next version. If you want to post your save file I could give it a try with your setup. They are stored at C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate General Civil War\Save\CampaignBattle. The filenames aren't human readable so the easiest way to get the right one is just to load it up, make a new save, and sort by timestamp.