Game-Labs Forum
Slim McSauce

Buc's Stern Absorbing grape

a few days old, a vid of me putting multiple dead on grape shots into a buc's stern for little to no affect @admin @Ink

plez fix

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

1 hour ago, Bearwall said:

Have you heard about the feature - brace?

Is that the issue? Fix it immediately. There's no way 600+ men are are all ducked into complete safety from grapeshot down the length of the ship.

Also from 0:04 to 0:10 you can see he's using rudder after absorbing a decent half length shot down the spine losing 0 crew.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

He is also firing his stern chasers and broadside cannons. I don't think he was in brace. I raked a Buc with grape (zero stern armor) in the fleet practice two days ago and only killed 12 crew members. As far as I remember it was very well aimed. Maybe a bug I don't know. However, if others can't confirm this, then it was badly aimed by me.

• Like 1

The entry and angle of grape shot matters a lot. I made an awesome illustrations to showcase what is going on here: 
fHUO8ec.jpg

Furthermore, as far as i know each ship has several Crew Hitboxes. You can deplete each Crew Hitbox, when a crew hitbox is depleted you have to hit another one to continue getting kills. 

This is something you will only really notice on the bigger ships. 

So, 2 possible explanations why you got no crew kills on the first shot, but 10 on the 2nd. 
- You hit at an angle where your shot completely missed the crew hitbox. 
- You hit at an angle where your shot barely hit the crew hitbox, but the crew hitbox you hit was already depleted. 

The reason you got 10 kills on the 2nd shot; 
- Your shot went through most of the enemy ship due to a better angle, because of this you hit a Crew Hitbox which was not depleted yet. 

TLDR;
1st and 2nd rates have several crew hitboxes. Therefore you need to hit high, low, right side and left side of the ships stern. 
Furthermore, you have to take into account the angle at which you fire. If your shot is fired in an upwards angle you will quite possibly hit through the stern and into the deck, stopping your shot from flying through the crew hitboxes. 
Example; LINIjWI.jpg

When done right, you can bring a 1st/2nd rate down to 50-150 Crew without too much trouble. (All this said, i'm can't really know if there is a bug with the Buc's stern. But from what i see in the video the above sounds way more likely.) 

Edited by TommyShelby
  • Like 4

Guns position relative to enemy gun decks gallery. Waves. Gun carriages being hit and stopping the shots, etc.

Hugging the stern is good in ships with minimal height difference, such as a Inger and a Wasa for example. Going in with a Belle or even a unrated, give more distance for best deflection.

Last, for full effect one must work both ends and do a Pellew, with one fore and one aft. Bow rakes work spectacularly well and will shock an adversary.

• Like 2

No, he didn't have the stern upgrade. I know because I looted the ship after.

I very much understand the crew hitboxes, the difference between upper and lower deck ships. As you can see from the video my last 2, the first one I aim for a top deck rake, the next one a bottom deck rake.

Both of these were straight down the stern like in your picture.

Just to make it perfectly clear, here's some screenshots of the moments of impact. Decide for yourself if this is right or not.

LoZblSZ.png

O7ymnHK.png

1wOVeUC.png

LiaN8D4.png

If you ask me there's no doubt here.

Dude, Please...
You shoot only with your small calibre bow chasers to the stern of a Bucentaure.

1. Youre Calibre will not penetrate the whole length from this ship not even a Ball would fly through the whole ship, by the way youre angle isnt perfect at every shot (check your 1. screen)

2. Youre shooting with 2 Guns, idk how many time you shoot, but in this video we see something around 6 hits ?

3. If you wanna crew down this ship try to Grape an other side, oder use also some doubles or balls in the Stern that also do much damage at Crew cannons etc.

It isnt a Bug that a small ship cant easily Crew down a big ship that isnt soo good in manouvrebility with only hiting with chasers.

I see nothing out of the ordinary. Look at the ship. Look at the gallery. Do the same again aiming at the correct entry point at 90º.

- stern guns perforations -and - ground level of middle stern cabin

Many captains do the rakes consistently. Adjust your distance for no deflection angle. Stern guns will kill half a dozen to a dozen, give or take.

Bucentaure_Side1.png

Yarr, i'll be back with more evidence. I do this all the time with lineships and regularly crew shock frigates with this method. This is the first time I've EVER seen grape being absorbed on a 0 armor stern. Understandably it stood out to me.

Just now, Otto Kohl said:

We already F11 multiple times issues with Bucentaur stern.

thank god I'm not the only one noticing this.