Game-Labs Forum

Raid Concept Idea

I remember once in a while someone would mention the idea of port raids. It was always an idea that I loved and would have liked to have seen come through to some point. Below is my concept of a port raid:

Port raids are set up much like hostility missions, although they tend to be set up slightly faster. Once at 100% a raid port battle will appear the following day. The battle itself will allow ships 5th rate and below at either half or similar port battle rating limit currently is.

Now I had an idea for it either being a last man standing before the time goes out. Good ole' classic deathmatch. The other idea I thought about but needs fine tuning is an objective based alternative much like actual port battles and the circles. Instead there are three circles. One for the attackers and two for the defenders. Now the attackers could go to these circles and at a steady pace have their ship cargo hold fill up with an "objective points." Once their hold is filled up they have to race back to their own circle where they will at a steady pace have their cargo hold emptied and earn points. An idea for the defenders to counter this apart from sinking the ships collecting the objective points is if doing hull damage it slows down the collection of the objective points into their targets ship. To win the attackers would either have to sink all the defenders or collect enough points before the battle timer runs out. Defenders win if they sink all the attackers or the attackers fail to earn enough objective points. 

The reward for the attackers if they win is a percentage of the ports taxes for that day goes to the clan warehouse and/or that ports rare resource such as special woods or material like cartagena tar. The port stays in the defenders hands, the respawning of the rare resource slows very slightly and of course they lose a percentage of their tax earnings for that day.

It is a very rough concept I know but I feel like there is something there that can be built upon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

The game very much lacks OW PVP facilitation. I really hope we see something soon.

:unsure:

be careful with the word soon tm  or it will never happen...

but some sort of raids would be nice tho 

The idea of raids is a good one, I am not sure that they should be a 'lite' version of a PB but something more spontaneous, the hostility I think should be faster than a PB, and enough to give warning that a raid is imminent but not sufficient to be able to set up a screen or rush a dozen ships to the port, the battle should start soon after hostility is raised to represent the difficulty in countering raids.

Such raids were generally 'cutting out' raids that permitted capping of ships at their moorings, or under way, to be looted, sunk/taken away. Player defenders who are in port should be allowed into the battle to defend but those who arrive after the battle starts  should enter to make up the equivalent BR of the raiding group. This would allow outside PVP between defending arrivals wishing to prevent the escape of the raiders and a covering force to try and help the escape of the raiders. in addition the raiders can claim a percentage of stores inside the port.

The raiding group should be smaller than PB fleets, perhaps 4 or 5 ships,  to reflect the fact that they would have been part of a blockading squadron, while the covering fleet would represent the blockading fleet itself. The attackers objective would be to safely get their raid group into the port to 'cut out' the AI trader(s) with high value cargo's while defending against the players, and out of the port while the defenders have to sink the raiding group inside the battle, or sink them as they run for home. 

The scenario is high risk for the attackers given that they face AI, Players and the port batteries, the  value of the cargo's should reflect that. 

4 hours ago, Rickard said:

BR is already limmited for most portBattles (2400 for instance) so this issint somethink new and fresh, not a bad idea tho. 

Yeah but those are for port battles. Raiding parties tend to be smaller.

4 hours ago, Rickard said:

what if instead of unloading the loot in the battle you need to haul it to your closed frendly port? this would als give a role to screeners and make a raid a big event on the server.

I was looking forward to small events. Something that would exclude the potential for really any screen fleet or major escalation of ship movement.

To me a raid is not something planned large scale like a nation and conquest.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 1

Raids tended to be fairly large and with months of planning. The biggest difference ? No support from a nation power per se, so it tended to be a grab, loot and run affair... of sorts. Raiders, when successful could stay a month in the place.

Gameplay wise I would say raids would not need any hostility raising, but rather be enabled by "tax revenue" on that town. So the more successful a port is the more chances it gets raided.

Let's suppose the threshold for raid would be set at 250k tax revenue. A unannounced raid could happen during that port timeframe.

What then ? A PB ? Makes little sense. A OW battle ? Sounds better.

If it is a OW battle, could it be a random of possible 3 spots near the coast close to the town ? ( simulates bucaneer parties landing and advancing on the town )

Stays open for how much time ?

Entire idea is nice, designing it to detail so it can be reviewed and possibly implement needs max attention, let's do it :) 

• Like 1

I like the suggestions of a less organized sort of "Hit and Run" battle, more akin to screening fights, although I think a good way to implement it would be through the old flag system.

The old flag system had criticisms mostly from the fact that they were too consequential for their quick and unexpected nature, where some players might not be on one day and unfairly lose an important port. If you implemented it in raiding, they wouldn't be port losses, just resource fights. It'd be a great way to add some spice to the down time between port battles. No need to complicate things by involving tax or resource thresholds or whatever, just buy a flag and have a grand ol' time fighting your enemies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Raids tended to be fairly large and with months of planning. The biggest difference ? No support from a nation power per se, so it tended to be a grab, loot and run affair... of sorts. Raiders, when successful could stay a month in the place.

When I think of raids I think of pirates raiding ships entering and exiting key market ports or like viking raids where they are quick hit and run occurrences.

Gameplay wise I would say raids would not need any hostility raising, but rather be enabled by "tax revenue" on that town. So the more successful a port is the more chances it gets raided.

Let's suppose the threshold for raid would be set at 250k tax revenue. A unannounced raid could happen during that port timeframe.

I would also like to avoid grinding but I still believe it should be a nation vs. nation occurrence rather than a free-for-all like the current fleet shipwreck event has become. 

What then ? A PB ? Makes little sense. A OW battle ? Sounds better.

If it is a OW battle, could it be a random of possible 3 spots near the coast close to the town ? ( simulates buccaneer parties landing and advancing on the town )

Stays open for how much time ?

Maybe not like a port battle but I think an event like a port battle is needed based on how current players play based on current mechanics like the PvP Marks for instance. Rather than actually participate in the raid event which I am targeting newer players to participate in, you will have various groups of players just going there in larger ships sinking players for PvP Marks and not for the raid rewards itself. Which discourages newer players to risk their 5th rates which for most of them is going to be the best ship they can sail at that point. Everything at this point in the game seems geared for veterans and 4th rates above which limits what newer players can participate in apart from obviously some OW PvP and shallow port battles. Having the event appear with crossed swords I think might be the best way. Then still leave it to a two faction event rather than every faction can participate in that said raid. 

From what it looks like though it does seem everyone agrees on the reward which is good for starters. 

Edited by Davos Seasworth