Game-Labs Forum

In Regards to the Recent Mass Scale Alt Farmings

Let’s all be honest here. Alt farming is at an all time high. Let’s also be honest with the whole tribunal report cases not fixing this issue. Sure individuals get banned, warned, etc. but hey, new alt new day. The chances of getting caught in such a large world with such a small population are very small. Granted the combat news makes it slightly easier to spot them. But not always. As we have seen sometimes we have false positive results where the combat news report is genuinely someone just killing a bunch of people. 

Is this a problem? I’d like to say yes. I dislike how people with alts can farm them for massive pvp marks, mainly because I don’t have any alts. But then part of me wonders if that’s just a perk you get when you spend another 40 bucks on the game, or a bit less when it’s on sell. Obviously the devs have condoned it. But the enforcement and ability to actually spot them effectively is not there. Combined with constant reliance on being in a top nation with resources and a need for pvp marks. It’s the perfect storm, so to speak, for alt farming, and it almost seems to be brewed up perfectly by the development of the game. 

My Solution: I know for a fact that the steam site, and just basic computer IPs will 9/10 times show that two accounts are coming from the same household. Sure you can change stuff around to get around that, but most people don’t. And there are other ways regardless of that to know. With this in mind I don’t see why It can’t be developed to where when I, OneEyedSnake, buy an alt, Name it whatever I want, lets say BadBenny, and then go out and kill it. In the combat report it says “OneEyedSnake has sunk Russian BadBenny off the coast of x.” See the difference there is it actually says the name of the player sunk. Now every combat news whore and their multiple wives can see that I killed my own alt. At this point the chances of getting caught are 100%. And not only that, but gunuinley good players won’t have any more issues being reported. The devs will have an easier life in the future, we will as well, the game will be more balanced, and you alt farmers can die in your irrigation trenches along with all the other labor hours you left waste away. 

TLDR? Through use of legitimate IP screens combat news makes it obvious when you are farming an alt. Thus making the risk way too high for the rewards.

Do you know what happens when you show IP address public?

People can DDOS easily and also access private information about them.

Much better solution:

Ban main accounts of alt farmers instead of demoting their low level alt account.

First offense 1 week ban.

Second offense 1 month ban.

Third offense perma ban.

Suddenly almost noone will altfarm anymore.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Much better solution:

Ban main accounts of alt farmers instead of demoting their low level alt account.

Third offense perma ban.

I’m still trying to find where in the hello kitty I said show IP addresses there bud. Can you highlight that please. Because if I did, I didn’t mean to say that. Also I can easily already get your IP address Jon Snow. Off of this very site in fact 😂

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Much better solution:

Third offense perma ban.

This doesn’t address the issue of not being caught. The risk is still lower than the reward. The only idiots that are getting caught are doing it right outside of capital regions. Trust me, they only catch at most 5 percent of alt farmers. Our open ocean is way too large for our population, and surely not everyone is that stupid.

1 minute ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Name and shame for everybody? Great way to get people to go out and PVP.

How many hoops are we gonna jump through to keep PVP marks in the game?

No. Only name WHEN it’s your own alt. 

Thats how it’s different and recognizable.

how can I spell that out in my main post so that’s more obvious, I clearly didn’t make it obvious that the only thing that would change would be when the developed system puts the name of the sunk player in chat ONLY if it is from the same address as the other captain. 

So you sink me. SlimJim sank Dutch player.

i sink my alt BadBenny. OneEyedSnake sank BadBenny

Then the alt is known and so is the main account. 

SHAME FOR THE ALT FARMERS 

57 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

I’m still trying to find where in the hello kitty I said show IP addresses there bud. Can you highlight that please. Because if I did, I didn’t mean to say that. Also I can easily already get your IP address Jon Snow. Off of this very site in fact 😂

This part. My London is bad but I thought IP screens means IP address.

1 hour ago, OneEyedSnake said:

TLDR? Through use of legitimate IP screens combat news makes it obvious when you are farming an alt. Thus making the risk way too high for the rewards.

58 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

How? (No exact description obv.)

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Or perhaps, we eliminate the incentive to alt farm by getting rid of the bass-ackwards PvP mark system in the first place?  Keep marks if you like but only make rewards cosmetic/superficial.  All content that affects your game play (modules/skillbooks/notes) shouldn't be tied to a system where winners keep winning.

The fact that there is incentive (PvP marks are now worth 400k+ in some markets) means that there will always be people that work their way around it.  Any solution that uses IP-based detection is meaningless in the end.

I see no reason that the rewards can't be cosmetic or version of other rewards you can get from PvE.  That or make them BP's of ships you can get normal version of in game.  Like the Pirate frigae and LVG can be rewards, but have a normal version any one can get with CM, but a black paint version in the PvP shop.   The only way to get the BLACK pain version is to buy, trade or capture.   Since there is a normal version (the blue P Frigate for example) in the CM shop any one can get those and have the same stats.

Though I'm all for stronger punishments to be honest.  You puhish these guys main account you will find they will stop playing and go play something else.  Though other than bans maybe reduction in levels the first few times and than perm ban.    Cause what is one week off from the game or do a combo.

1st Offence 2 levels removed and 1 week Ban

2nd Offence Half levels removed and 1 month Ban

3rd offence all levels are removed and perm ban until game is released.

This punishment should be for all chars involved not one or the other.

5 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Much better solution:

Third offense perma ban.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

Or perhaps, we eliminate the incentive to alt farm by getting rid of the bass-ackwards PvP mark system in the first place?  Keep marks if you like but only make rewards cosmetic/superficial.  All content that affects your game play (modules/skillbooks/notes) shouldn't be tied to a system where winners keep winning.

The fact that there is incentive (PvP marks are now worth 400k+ in some markets) means that there will always be people that work their way around it.  Any solution that uses IP-based detection is meaningless in the end.

Oh how I genuinely, whole-heartedly hate agreeing with u....

so

#globalserverfailedhardsoletsalltryitalloveragain

just to set the world back in order..

Keep dreaming fellas.

No one is going to get punished for anything. At most they will get a warning or maybe even a stern talking to with a very disapproving look on the Devs faces, but no actual reasonable punishment is going to happen.

Here's a solution, get caught alt farming and instantly all of your ships turn bright pink with hello kitty faces on the sails, All of your guns now only shoot marshmallows. All ships remain like this until you complete 10 hours of actual PVP combat against a real enemy. It's not a permanent ban but it would be something you would have to work through instead of just not playing for a few days.

Edited by The Wren
  • Like 1

You eliminate all farming by destroying all the seeds to begin with.  Get rid of pvp marks, the solution is so simple I can't see how it's missed.

Further, if alt farmers quit who really cares?  Is it a genuine loss to eliminate dishonest players?  The large majority of players are honest and only wish for the game's success.

If you buy a 10-lb sack of potatoes and throw out 2 rotten ones, you can still have a healthy bowl of mashed potatoes for your feast. ;)

• Like 6

Yeah, I agree with everyone here saying to get rid of PvP marks altogether. They do nothing but cause problems.

• Give reason to alt farm. (we didn't have that before) 
  • Gives big incentive to make sure you are always ganking to ensure the victory to get PvP marks, less inclined to take a even battle.
  • Makes more experienced players/groups go after low level new players whereas they would of ignored them before (most of the time) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sureshot said:

Yeah, I agree with everyone here saying to get rid of PvP marks altogether. They do nothing but cause problems.

• Give reason to alt farm. (we didn't have that before) 
  • Gives big incentive to make sure you are always ganking to ensure the victory to get PvP marks, less inclined to take a even battle.
  • Makes more experienced players/groups go after low level new players whereas they would of ignored them before (most of the time) 

Hate to bust your bubble but folks been doing all those things since I started on this game and I started on day one of OW.

• Like 5

Devs..... can we have a solution for the alt farming

it seems it s foul play

perhaps .,.....pvp marks, and or goods acquired with pvp marks   not tradeable ???? 

yes,..... that's what you get when you cheat...

>> marked goods (other color perhaps) are not tradeable goods 

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

I can't care more if some try-hard prefer to use their time to farm alts, let them.

What surprise me is that most of the topics tends to suggest to limit the game improvements because of these alts problems, but never do anything against alts. I know nothing will ever be made against multiple accounts but f*** that if this means those without, can't enjoy some good mecanics. And pvp marks ARE good. 

Make everything from pvp shop accessible via 10x , 100x or more combat marks i don't mind.  Excude Teak and LO from ships notes options.. those i can accept.. but pvp marks allow independants pvpers to be quite autonomous to stay hunting in ow and i like that.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

sorry my bad english.

give me sql, access to game database and all pvp marks farmers can be found quick

If developers have the desire (and benefit) to catch all the exploiters, then they will make it easy

Battle in which some items are destroyed (not necessarily expensive), and others (valuable) are created from nothing - it's generally wrong, it comes from potbs. Given that the ships can simply be seized from the NPC - only the decency of the community has not yet brought down the market of pvp brands. Simply this is absolutely wrong mechanics in the design of the game, copied from die game.

If not to be impudent, to distinguish between a contractual battle, and where the normal is generally impossible.

Edited by Amihai

1 hour ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Make everything from pvp shop accessible via 10x , 100x or more combat marks i don't mind.  Excude Teak and LO from ships notes options.. those i can accept.. but pvp marks allow independants pvpers to be quite autonomous to stay hunting in ow and i like that.

If we allow PVP items to be bought with combat marks, just get rid of PVP marks or else they'll still be abused. There's literally nothing that can be done about alt farming so unless you want to economy to be even more rekt from marks, remove their influence over the game.

Also ship notes have no place in NA. Crafting materials to build said ships, yes. Magic ships that people can farm ad nauseam? No plez.

• Like 2

Ships note via pvp marks are great, they allow independent pvpers to continuously sail on OW without having to wait for crafters of clan logistics.. it's like crying against cannon loots because this hurt crafters.. Main goal of this game is to make players fight each others no ?

I see pvp marks as a kind of reputation / admiralty system, if you do pvp, admiralty assign you ships to continue your duty. That's why i think all permits (not notes)  should also be also availlable via CM for crafters and clans, so pvp shop is just an alternative to clan organisation, and keep the best woods and 1-3 rates for crafters, so there is still a market and an rvr use for econ. 

If some prefer to spend $$ for alt accounts and not enjoy the thrill this game  can offer just to be the biggest collector, i don't care. How does that narrow my gameplay ? Seing rare knowledge restrain to pve rng only because of "potential alt farming abuse"  hurt the gameplay much more.. 

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 1

Full disclosure. I have an alt. I believe I use him responsibly. I role play and am generally solo. I see no problem in players having an alt or more, if they can manage that many characters, it's no skin off my nose, it's their money and their time. I'd be Rear Admiral already if I'd focus on one character and one server. 

The problem is not alts or marks, the problem is dishonesty and just plain cheating. You have those in every group and that will never change. Look at our population. Overwhelmingly good, honest and fun, IMHO, based on my experience with other players, 98%. 

My solution would be to publish clear cut rules for alts on the game interface where no one can say they didn't know. Code so that crossing the line is immediate, and they wear the scarlet letter of shame for a period of in game time based on the offence. Shame and humiliation, as in real life IS a deterrent, though sadly not total. Bad behavior needs to be punished, without making the devs have to personally babysit us, and good behavior and sportsmanship needs to be rewarded by not taking away mechanics that good players find fun. 

Fair sailing and please have FUN.       

15 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Hate to bust your bubble but folks been doing all those things since I started on this game and I started on day one of OW.

Yeah, I know that. I've seen some retarded exploits since the day OW was released. But the PvP marks are much more important than anything you could earn from PvP before. So yeah there was alt farming and ganking, but PvP marks took that to a whole new level. :P

6 hours ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Ships note via pvp marks are great, they allow independent pvpers to continuously sail on OW without having to wait for crafters of clan logistics.. it's like crying against cannon loots because this hurt crafters.. Main goal of this game is to make players fight each others no ?

I see pvp marks as a kind of reputation / admiralty system, if you do pvp, admiralty assign you ships to continue your duty. That's why i think all permits (not notes)  should also be also availlable via CM for crafters and clans, so pvp shop is just an alternative to clan organisation, and keep the best woods and 1-3 rates for crafters, so there is still a market and an rvr use for econ. 

If some prefer to spend $$ for alt accounts and not enjoy the thrill this game  can offer just to be the biggest collector, i don't care. How does that narrow my gameplay ? Seing rare knowledge restrain to pve rng only because of "potential alt farming abuse"  hurt the gameplay much more.. 

You could already do that with capturing enemy ships of any size. It only takes 2 fifth rate kills to get a free Wasa of any wood type. You're completely undermining the crafting/eco/MMO side of the game by handing everyone who remotely PVPs free ships ships out the ass.

The longer we wait, the more free Wasa's flood the ship market, the less importance this game becomes as an MMO. In 2 months it'll be Naval Wasa: Legends

• Like 2

Just now, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

I already see much less wasa recently, no Hermione, no grosventre refit, this prove  pvp marks are not breaking anything, wasa  as an exclusive pvp shop note maybe. 

If adding some legend aspect in the game make it more attractive I’d go for it, training sessions seem to please everyone for exemple.

Yes, lets dissolve the game of its identity so it can attract more people from the game that we've created to house the people this game doesn't attract.

bRilliANt!

When someone is alt farming both avatars should be demoted that are involved in the battle. 

Just a heads up for the devs, just before downtime Bordeaux (a mid level French ship captain) managed to "kill" 3 people at 2 different ports within 10 minutes....

It just isn't possible to do that, 2 at one port and 1 at 2nd (Aves and Tumbado ).

Demote All the alts and main ava's involved, people are just using alts to get the kills so doesn't matter a hoot if the low rank alt gets punished.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1