Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Recommended Posts

Following the complex development of NA's sailing physics including leeway, I'd like to suggest Game Labs look into developing a game revolving around Trireme combat with their similar Open Water design.  Most people might not really understand the time period nor all of the naval tactics but very few games have tackled the complexity of this age's naval combat.  The aegean sea + can be the playground which is close to home for this studio.

My suggestions for battle mechanics:

1) Ramming.  Obviously this is the first thing that comes to mind.  However, ramming was dangerous work and caused damage to each boat especially in ram v ram collisions.

2) De-oaring.  Ramming the opponents oars off if they haven't pulled them in.  In some ways this reminds me of the "Brace" command in NA.  Add a visual graphics to the command.

3) Sailing.  This ships had sails but weren't ideal.

4) Fatigue.  Rowing takes effort and speed affected many things including ramming.

5) Ranged combat and melee combat plus boarding.  Archers, slingers, javelins, marines, ballistas.  Could create an interesting dynamic.

Open Water mechanics:

1) Trading.

2) Conquest of city states.

3) Possible map wipe through Persian invasion.

4) Weather.

There were many types of ships during this time period all with different positives and negatives (triremes, biremes, hemiolias, trihemiolias, ect).  Using similar concepts from NA like woods, weight the ships could each have their own flavors.  A city state concept could give clans (instead of nations) various powers and using a possible "foreign invader" mechanic could promote some interesting diplomacy.  The game could get more complex if an avatar system was in place but if not a more complex boarding design might be nice.  Players could control troops on a board in boarding as has been discussed in NA and this also could translate to a defense of the city state itself.

Something to consider.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dharus said:

Following the complex development of NA's sailing physics including leeway, I'd like to suggest Game Labs look into developing a game revolving around Trireme combat with their similar Open Water design.  Most people might not really understand the time period nor all of the naval tactics but very few games have tackled the complexity of this age's naval combat.  The aegean sea + can be the playground which is close to home for this studio.

My suggestions for battle mechanics:

1) Ramming.  Obviously this is the first thing that comes to mind.  However, ramming was dangerous work and caused damage to each boat especially in ram v ram collisions.

2) De-oaring.  Ramming the opponents oars off if they haven't pulled them in.  In some ways this reminds me of the "Brace" command in NA.  Add a visual graphics to the command.

3) Sailing.  This ships had sails but weren't ideal.

4) Fatigue.  Rowing takes effort and speed affected many things including ramming.

5) Ranged combat and melee combat plus boarding.  Archers, slingers, javelins, marines, ballistas.  Could create an interesting dynamic.

Open Water mechanics:

1) Trading.

2) Conquest of city states.

3) Possible map wipe through Persian invasion.

4) Weather.

There were many types of ships during this time period all with different positives and negatives (triremes, biremes, hemiolias, trihemiolias, ect).  Using similar concepts from NA like woods, weight the ships could each have their own flavors.  A city state concept could give clans (instead of nations) various powers and using a possible "foreign invader" mechanic could promote some interesting diplomacy.  The game could get more complex if an avatar system was in place but if not a more complex boarding design might be nice.  Players could control troops on a board in boarding as has been discussed in NA and this also could translate to a defense of the city state itself.

Something to consider.

 

 

You need a good boarding mechanic for this, even more important than in NA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Could this not be incorporated into Naval Action rather than a separate game?

maybe in NAL as a seperate gamemode

I dont see why triremes should be in NA OW ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I would love triremes in NA OW

Yeah, aswell as a native american nation with canoes. #redlivesmatter

latest?cb=20130218185142

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rediii said:

You need a good boarding mechanic for this, even more important than in NA

Absolutely.  In fact this should be one of the top combat items and not a placeholder.  Ideally, I'd wish for a Mount and Blade style avatar combat but i understand the difficulty of that task to a small developer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Could this not be incorporated into Naval Action rather than a separate game?

They could but it would be silly.  It's apples vs oranges in terms of practical gameplay.  A cannon shot into a trireme would cause massive carnage.  Triremes typically used light woods for speed and reduce weight which is the opposite direction of Age of Sail ships.  Ship speeds are also different as fatigue played a huge role on rowed vessels and the sail plans just don't compare.  In other words, a lynx could destroy a trireme in combat and anything to make that fight interesting would be magical.  Even adding a more historical rowed gunboat would require a unique model with moving oars which respond to special commands (left, right, back, double speed foward, ect) in addition to the existing game.  That's a lot of additional coding and modeling for a very small gameplay dynamic.  This is why a different, specific game was requested.

Edited by Dharus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if some how they open up the Mediterranean to na added old oar style ships could still be relevant as some were still around and in use just not in the Atlantic and Caribbean 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 10:13 PM, Dharus said:

Following the complex development of NA's sailing physics including leeway, I'd like to suggest Game Labs look into developing a game revolving around Trireme combat with their similar Open Water design.  Most people might not really understand the time period nor all of the naval tactics but very few games have tackled the complexity of this age's naval combat.  The aegean sea + can be the playground which is close to home for this studio.

My suggestions for battle mechanics:

1) Ramming.  Obviously this is the first thing that comes to mind.  However, ramming was dangerous work and caused damage to each boat especially in ram v ram collisions.

2) De-oaring.  Ramming the opponents oars off if they haven't pulled them in.  In some ways this reminds me of the "Brace" command in NA.  Add a visual graphics to the command.

3) Sailing.  This ships had sails but weren't ideal.

4) Fatigue.  Rowing takes effort and speed affected many things including ramming.

5) Ranged combat and melee combat plus boarding.  Archers, slingers, javelins, marines, ballistas.  Could create an interesting dynamic.

Open Water mechanics:

1) Trading.

2) Conquest of city states.

3) Possible map wipe through Persian invasion.

4) Weather.

There were many types of ships during this time period all with different positives and negatives (triremes, biremes, hemiolias, trihemiolias, ect).  Using similar concepts from NA like woods, weight the ships could each have their own flavors.  A city state concept could give clans (instead of nations) various powers and using a possible "foreign invader" mechanic could promote some interesting diplomacy.  The game could get more complex if an avatar system was in place but if not a more complex boarding design might be nice.  Players could control troops on a board in boarding as has been discussed in NA and this also could translate to a defense of the city state itself.

Something to consider.

 

 

You can find something similar in a game from another SH about trireme wars, but since i haven't that game i cannot tell you if really sailing is real or not

Edited by blubasso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×