Game-Labs Forum

First game impressions

blubasso

Hi, yesturday i bought the game and i played it for 3-4 hours long. I love graphic and this sense of solitude that is typical to sailors (i worked aboard some ships in my youth) when you sail in open ocean. Real ocean water is more... fluid... but maybe is my graphic card that cannot properly render it (GeForce 550 Ti, and old one)...

No info and that, for me, is very good: i like to explore the game, even if i’d preferred more navigation tools, á la Silent Hunter because sailing was (is) an already explored science since the Phoenicians. But ok, i can live with (without) that :)

Ship models are awesome, i observed them with my spyglass and...wow...

I cannot say anything about game mechanics because i played too few time, but the first impression is higly positive. Even the trading system, it’s difficult and intriguing. No matter if there’s no trader career (i’d like it, but still).

• Like 5

This game will make you yearn to upgrade your graphics card. I played the first few months on a weak card and finally upgraded. It was a feeling like the first time my bad eyes out on a pair of glasses.

Welcome to NA!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, blubasso said:

Real ocean water is more... fluid... but maybe is my graphic card that cannot properly render it (GeForce 550 Ti, and old one)...

Try This:

VSYNC - off

Antialasing - off

FXAA - on/off pick one

Water - You can go 2 ways 1. If you like smooth and mirror like water set this to: Water - Low, Reflections - Low. 2. If you want worse performance with better water set water to - medium

the rest can be set all for medium.

Remember - Antialasing must be off at all times, also high water quality is another FPS killer so set it to Low + Low reflections and you will have beautiful smooth water with great FPS. 

You can turn off render trees and decorations it will give you some FPS , but will look ugly. 

Post a screenshot with your FPS and your Video settings and I can help you make improvements. 

Edited by H2O
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

Try This:

VSYNC - off

Antialasing - off

FXAA - on/off pick one

Water - You can go 2 ways 1. If you like smooth and mirror like water set this to: Water - Low, Reflections - Low. 2. If you want performance with better water set water to - medium

Remember - Antialasing must be off at all times, also high water quality is another FPS killer so set it to Low + Low reflections and you will have beautiful smooth water with great FPS. 

You can turn off render trees and decorations it will give you some FPS , but will look ugly. 

All in Medium with Vertical Sync and AA off. Ok, i will try it. Thank you @H2O 

3 minutes ago, blubasso said:

All in Medium with Vertical Sync and AA off. Ok, i will try it. Thank you @H2O 

It also easier to shoot with low water quality. ;) Also set aim arc to geometry , well try both you will see the difference. One will be very sharp and clear and another will be under water (bad). 

Edited by H2O

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Try This:

VSYNC - off

Antialasing - off

FXAA - on/off pick one

Water - You can go 2 ways 1. If you like smooth and mirror like water set this to: Water - Low, Reflections - Low. 2. If you want worse performance with better water set water to - medium

Post a screenshot with your FPS and your Video settings and I can help you make improvements. 

I did what you suggest, now game runs stabile on 30 FPS. Thanx a lot :)

Edited by blubasso

56 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

As a new player your opinions on the game are very valuable. Please, if you will continue keeping us updated on your experiences as you progress.

Safe traveling o7

-Slim McSauce

p.s. Caribbean or PVE only server?

Caribbean. Nothing against ppl that prefer PvE server but in PvP things are IMO more spicy ;) I surely will use PvE server, but only when i’d like to test something that’s not combat related

Edited by blubasso
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, blubasso said:

Caribbean. Nothing against ppl that prefer PvE server but in PvP things are IMO more spicy ;) I surely will use PvE server, but only when i’d like to test something that’s not combat related

Also give NA-Legends ago... will be in your STEAM folder under NA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blubasso said:

Hi, yesturday i bought the game and i played it for 3-4 hours long. I love graphic and this sense of solitude that is typical to sailors (i worked aboard some ships in my youth) when you sail in open ocean. Real ocean water is more... fluid... but maybe is my graphic card that cannot properly render it (GeForce 550 Ti, and old one)...

No info and that, for me, is very good: i like to explore the game, even if i’d preferred more navigation tools, á la Silent Hunter because sailing was (is) an already explored science since the Phoenicians. But ok, i can live with (without) that :)

Ship models are awesome, i observed them with my spyglass and...wow...

I cannot say anything about game mechanics because i played too few time, but the first impression is higly positive. Even the trading system, it’s difficult and intriguing. No matter if there’s no trader career (i’d like it, but still).

I feel your pain, man....  Anyone have a 970 or 980 they dont use anymore?!  lol

• Like 1

@Ink

Actually @Vernon Merrill makes a good point. Do you think the minimum and recommended specs need updating…?

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz or AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B60 3.3 GHz

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: GeForce GTX 460 1GB or AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB (must support shader 5 model)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 2 GB available space

Additional Notes: 32bit OS versions possible but not supported

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-9370 4.4 GHz

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 2GB or AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB (must support shader 5 model)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 2 GB available space

Additional Notes: 32bit OS versions possible but not supported

My PC is 5 and half years old, i5 3G quad and 550 Ti graphic card. 4 G RAM. With the trimming that H2O told me, it runs NA at 29/31 FPS. My Internet connection is not the best and i have sadly an high ping, but this is my problem. I experienced little lag sometime, in OW. In Istances all run smoothly. I have long loading.

Besides those issues, the game runs ok on my old PC, with very decent graphics.

I tryed at ultra: FPS max 15 very laggy. But awesome graphics. Well: pictures hahahaha

Edited by blubasso