Game-Labs Forum
admin

Hotfix for patch 14.

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Who said so?
Admiralty tests report 3rd rates speed of up to 12 knots broad reach
Lively class 36 gun frigate is also reported to have speeds of up to 12 knots broad reach.

Based on this it could even have some troubles chasing a third rate (especially in heavy seas)

So when the patch making the live oak Constitution going at 13 kts??

Dont call in historical datas only to back your decisions or "pro domo" vestris.

Wanna talk if ever a ship in 1800 was purposely firing (and hitting and destroying) at enemy's ship masts?

Or real turn ratio and yard turn required time? Dont reply "battle time is not 1:1 with reality" because your guns, in proportion to turning speed, are damn fast.

1 minute ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Wanna talk if ever a ship in 1800 was purposely firing (and hitting and destroying) at enemy's ship masts?

You have absolutely no idea what you´re talking about, right?

9 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

But in game the Wasa/Gustav base speed is 12.3(?) making it much faster than the 3rd rate or Bellona. Almost the same speed as the Constitution which I believe was reported at 13knts and should be faster than a 3rd rate wasa/gustav.

Wasa is 12.0, Bellona is 12.23 conni is 12.39

Most frigates average speeds of 12.6 - 13.1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

lol - sorry mate, please do not dig deeper. 

first - there was even a reward in the royal navy (on some ships) for deliberately shooting at masts and destroyeing them
it was 1 gold guinea 
oiKlL6M.jpg

second
masts were destroyed - sometimes occasionally sometimes on purpose - in fact victory yards were destroyed at trafalgar - by deliberate french fire into masts
EfPrOSg.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, admin said:

3rd rates a better in every way unless you need to run away (especially upwind) or for maneuver combat. that makes frigates great for hunting, scouting, or stern camping.

Bellona should be the same speed as the wasa, since it's the downwind sailing to the Wasas upwind. From experience I can tell you that Wasas running away are a mainstay of this game. I don't mind 3rd rates being the optimal middleground, but they should only work that way in optimal conditions, whether that be an introduction of light-heavy winds or even lowering base speeds of the wasa/bello but increasing their sail force and decreasing accel, perhaps creating a sort of "heavy" sail affect that relies on keeping your speed up, sails intact to avoid bleeding speed like a heavy boom and zoomer FW190 in a flight combat sim.

Because right now all roles are filled affectively by the Wasa/Bello 100% of the time. It's making PVP a bit stale.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Malachi said:

The Livelys were capable of 10 to 11 knots close hauled and 13 knots with the wind abaft the beam

Very bad example. The real Surprise was an absolute indifferent sailing ship, with 11 knots max. That smaller ships are generally faster than SoLs ingame is concession to the lack of changing wind conditions (light - heavy), as far as I can tell.

Same speed is reported for the Gustavs. And at least two 74s ran 14 knots (prolly with 24s on the lower deck, but still)

Do you ever sailed a modern sailing Boat? Do you ever sailed (as a seaman) on a Square rigged ship?

For example: define close haul for a 74 guns or a frigate.

Moreover: I was using game description/mechanics/roles calling the surp example.

That a longer 74 could be faster than a shorter corvette at broad reach and good wind has a simple reason: critical speed... That's function of (aside hull shape) length. The longer you are, the higher the max possible speed.

1 minute ago, Malachi said:

You have absolutely no idea what you´re talking about, right?

No. Enlight me.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

lol - sorry mate, please do not dig deeper. 

first - there was even a reward in the royal navy (on some ships) for deliberately shooting at masts and destroyeing them
it was 1 gold guinea 
oiKlL6M.jpg

second
masts were destroyed - sometimes occasionally sometimes on purpose - in fact victory yards were destroyed at trafalgar - by deliberate french fire into masts
EfPrOSg.jpg

Ships relative speed? Distance?

6 minutes ago, admin said:

deliberately shooting at masts and destroyeing them

hmm speaking of yards. Could destroying yards ever become a thing? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

hmm speaking of yards. Could destroying yards ever become a thing? 

no - in 5 years maybe

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Ships relative speed? Distance?

The Victory was headed nearly directly at the French line at that point and I think was at battle sails running probably 6-7kn.   The French were most likely doing about the same in a crossing pattern.   So not a difficult shot, and if I recall one of the masts of the Victory actually fell on collision with a French ship.

Can we also add another variable to the equation:  Not ALL battles have to be, or even SHOULD be to the death....

If I'm in a ship, and I'm getting may ass handed to me, you better believe that if the enemy hasnt removed my means of escape, I'm getting out of there.

Good captains have an exit strategy in addition to a fight strategy.

• Like 4

Just now, admin said:

no - in 5 years maybe

Can we at least get a use for Battle Sails?  And a hit point meter for our own masts?

Just now, Odol said:

Can we at least get a use for Battle Sails?  And a hit point meter for our own masts?

cut crew requirement in half? Like how turning off one side of guns does.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Odol said:

The Victory was headed nearly directly at the French line at that point and I think was at battle sails running probably 6-7kn.  

3 kts

:)

• Like 1

Shooting masts is cool, at least you need to aim and abuse enemy position to be effective - in contrast to braindead chaining.

And since bottom masts are so strong and rarely break it doesnt mean that you are dead or useless if your middle or top -mast breaks

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

32 minutes ago, admin said:

dont listen to people with misconceptions who base their knowledge on movies or other games (all of which did not even had backing force/sternway).. 
3rd rates were amazing sailers in real life (74 was the most successful ship design and their number even exceeded the number of frigates at certain point).  some 3rd rates sailed faster than average frigates. 

That's why i said in another post that a newcomer should be educated to how to be a sailor before be a fighter... 

When the game will be at last finished, wait for tons of complaints because normal ppl like me hasn't no idea how to properly sail a ship...

8 minutes ago, Odol said:

The Victory was headed nearly directly at the French line at that point and I think was at battle sails running probably 6-7kn.   The French were most likely doing about the same in a crossing pattern.   So not a difficult shot, and if I recall one of the masts of the Victory actually fell on collision with a French ship.

I'd say optimistic granted the famed light breeze at Trafalgar.

Granted it fell upon  collision... I'd bet it simply got too many damage to stayropes/shrouds (unsure of english word)... Because you know that no mast with sail on it would ever stand up on its own, right?

8 minutes ago, blubasso said:

That's why i said in another post that a newcomer should be educated to how to be a sailor before be a fighter... 

When the game will be at last finished, wait for tons of complaints because normal ppl like me hasn't no idea how to properly sail a ship...

Having a cruise as cadet on Vespucci, being a sailing instructor (having got serious time at Sea so) as you could noticed I have nothing to say about sail handling, aside it's far simpler and enormously faster than real... Still something good to give the feeling of a sailing boat but playable for 'all'.

I am highly critic about demasting and combat repairs... Aside, balance wise, the utter OP-ness of Wasa not yet solved... Coupled with dozen of broken ships PVP wise.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
Compilator typos wtf...
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Can we also add another variable to the equation:  Not ALL battles have to be, or even SHOULD be to the death....

If I'm in a ship, and I'm getting may ass handed to me, you better believe that if the enemy hasnt removed my means of escape, I'm getting out of there.

Quite difficult anche exit strategy on a frigate with the pirate Wasa coming being faster than you in all directions.

Or if by chance you have a bit more speed... you lose ALL your masts in a few broadsides at over 100 mt distance even if both running and tightly turning at over 10 kts...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I always liked the surrender feature in POTBS at start of battles.  Where they could offer up part of there cargo and I could let them go.  To be honest I would prob let a lot of new players and lower levels go if there was an option like this where they can give up part of there cargo or offer payment for them to be let go.

29 minutes ago, Odol said:

There should be penalities for fighting at full sails to be honest.  Thus encouraging folks to fight in Battle sails. When every one was using tanked out ships right after the wipe I was out using Teak/WO and fighting in Battle sails and some times going faster than the LO/WO ships, but I could go full sails and get out of trouble if I needed too.  This should be the norm instead of every one fighting always at full sails the whole time.

21 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Shooting masts is cool, at least you need to aim and abuse enemy position to be effective - in contrast to braindead chaining.

And since bottom masts are so strong and rarely break it doesnt mean that you are dead or useless if your middle or top -mast breaks

and people forget that mast/sail damage is to multi parts of the ships rigging not just to the mast or sails.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Having a cruise as cadet on Vespucci, being a sailing instructor (having got serious time at Sea so) as you could noticed I have nothing to say about sail handling, aside it's far simpler and enormously faster than real... Still something good to give the feeling of a sailing boat but playable for 'all'.

I am highly critic about demasting and combat repairs... Aside, balance wise, the utter OP-ness of Wasa not yet solved... Coupled with dozen of broken ships PVP wise.

As for as i know (and i know very little about sailing and war on the sea in 1700/1800) this game is faster than in real life under many circustances. I have nothing against you but you as a sailor should better understand that this is a game, with gaming purposes and not a pure naval sim. 

P.S. My father was a cadett on Vespucci too. I was in the Italian Navy (Vittorio Veneto cruiser) in 1984

Edited by blubasso

12 minutes ago, blubasso said:

As for as i know (and i know very little about sailing and war on the sea in 1700/1800) this game is faster than in real life under many circustances. I have nothing against you but you as a sailor should better understand that this is a game, with gaming purposes and not a pure naval sim. 

Infact I said: it's far simpler and faster, still it's good... Giving a bit of "sailing feeling" but being playable and enjoyable so even (with more difficulties - I knew whats being upwind and its value for example) to those lacking sailing experience.

As stated, I am highly critic about other game mechanics... That have no reason to be in place (no realism, no more enjoyable game, no better gaming experience for players).

Granted the above, I remain critic of this patch that not solved any in game issue written in these forums (by a lot of people - and often always the same, like Connie too nerfed, Wasa too op, demasting too easily/often happening) and even put in place some changes in the opposite direction.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
Again corrector typos...
  • Like 1

I translated the topic of Patch 14 to Portuguese for a better understanding of the Portuguese and Brazilian community, a new topic has been inserted in the "Naval Action Spanish Language" until a new Sub-Forum be created for Portuguese Language. You can access this Link

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luigiebox said:

Any patch notes? @admin 

Small hotfix, False Keel  - Main sail force bonus corrected to -2% (-5% earlier)

• Like 4