Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
maturin

Enough with the sadomasochism (looting wrecks)

Recommended Posts

So. Let's all pour a glass and be honest with one another.

Looting AI wrecks before they sink.

Realistic? No. (Do we have scuba gear or something???)

Fun? Hell no.

 

On paper, I am in favor of any mechanic that forces people to hone their sailing skills, especially when it requires precise maneuvers with manual sails. Looting sinking bots does force you to get better.

But holy crap, I am at the end of my rope. Between unpredictable sinking speeds, ships always sagging behind and ending up to windward, ships capsizing to deny you the loot and BUGGY, LAGGY GODDAMN 1990s DIALUP LOOT MENUS, this bullshit is the most infuriating thing I've ever seen in this game. And to crown it all, it's now the most important form of grinding, so everyone can get their ridiculous gamebreaking repair and mast mods in this increasingly gear-based MMO.

Proposal: When AI bots reach 5% structure, they surrender, and stop sinking. That way you can loot them at your leisure. Bots with this level of structure damage are unavailable as fleet ships, because they are too damaged to take as a prize. If you shoot them down to 0% structure, their special pumps are disabled and they sink.

This will remove a huge irritant from everyday gameplay while also being more realistic. Bots should surrender, even if players don't.

 

And while we're on the subject of looting wrecks, how about adding valuable mods and skill books back into the Bottle wrecks? The loot you get from them is beyond worthless. We don't even use gold coins anymore, FFS.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Christendom said:

just put loot back in the battle screen.  PLEASE

For skill books and mods, maybe. But no teleporting cargo or repairs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maturin said:

For skill books and mods, maybe. But no teleporting cargo or repairs.

no need for the teleport, just kick players out of battle after 5mins and then a battle screen with all the loot.  "Enter open world" at the bottom.

EZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@maturin youre such a carebear noob :) I am the Lord of Carebears aka LC and I will teach you it. 

missed looting 2 ships in that :)

If you need to level a 1st rate in exile, you're expected to loot 3 copper platings doing so outside MT 

KlzlYo7YQ7eSdWKSULeNiA.png

Edited by HachiRoku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this. Not even for the looting aspect, just because AIs surrendering at 5% makes sense.  When I'm feeling villainous I can put the final broadside into the helpless sot >:D

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah not the biggest fan of how looting works currently, especially with new wind mechanics. When I made the suggestion ages ago to change looting as a task, I was suggesting once the battle has ended where "ship wrecks" would appear in Open World to you and after a set time be visible by everyone till after another set time they are wiped from the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havent looted Something valuable in age now.... sometime i dont bother to loot anymore

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How i told in another topic , the sinking time should be decreased and loot should be decreased too .

Maybe half of it . It can be casual .

Edited by CaptainSparcklesss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since things have just become so absurdly loot driven in this game I say we just go full blown EA and start having loot boxes! That way you can monetize them as well and RNG loot can become even more of an annoyance to the player base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

 

KlzlYo7YQ7eSdWKSULeNiA.png

HAHAHA! This ss pretty much sums up the absurdity of our mods, multiple repair kits, and rum situation we have now......yep we got a very realistic sailing model with everything else dripping of fantasy. Necromancers who bring back crew from the dead, Paladins dropping multiple heals, and I'll toss in super accurate Hunter class mast snipers....we got the classic MMO fantasy abilities, gear grind....now we just need some dungeons and boss fights for PHAT LEWTZ!!! Lordy, lord how this game has changed.....

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

lord how this game has changed

some parts are super hardcore compared to the old days. Some parts are like an arcade game. Its crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

HAHAHA! This ss pretty much sums up the absurdity of our mods, multiple repair kits, and rum situation we have now......yep we got a very realistic sailing model with everything else dripping of fantasy. Necromancers who bring back crew from the dead, Paladins dropping multiple heals, and I'll toss in super accurate Hunter class mast snipers....we got the classic MMO fantasy abilities, gear grind....now we just need some dungeons and boss fights for PHAT LEWTZ!!! Lordy, lord how this game has changed.....

Btw \o/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to admit that fight is absurd indeed.

I was thinking if this would be because of bad AI but I have seen recently some absurd PvP fights as well.

The current state of Naval Action Feels bad man :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Have to admit that fight is absurd indeed.

I was thinking if this would be because of bad AI but I have seen recently some absurd PvP fights as well.

The current state of Naval Action Feels bad man :(

 

1 hour ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

HAHAHA! This ss pretty much sums up the absurdity of our mods, multiple repair kits, and rum situation we have now......

I does not sum up anything. There are screens like this from pvp as well. (2-3 veterans sinking 10-15 ships). 
We tuned the game for skill and counters and it allows 1 player to sink 6 disorganized captains due to his sheer will and skill.. That's the goal and if you don't like there is nothing i can or will do about it. We WANT 1 player to be able to kill 4-5 unorganized captains. This translates to sinking 10-20 disorganized bots.

this

jifVD3n.jpg
makes our game special. Ganking does not exist if you are a pro. Grow your skill and stop complaining about ganking or mods. Just like i said above. We tuned the game for skill and knowing how to fit your ship for your style is also a skill. Captains of that time cut yards, relayed ballast, reordered guns, sails, trims to increase their chances to survive (to live). This is represented by mods

Speed limit exists because we dont want you to run. We want you to tank the ship and fight to the death taking all enemies with you. 

 


And we would prefer @HachiRoku to post his amazing deeds from pvp. There is nothing special in sinking 25 4th and 3rd rates in 2 First rates.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, maturin said:

 

Proposal: When AI bots reach 5% structure, they surrender, and stop sinking. That way you can loot them at your leisure. Bots with this level of structure damage are unavailable as fleet ships, because they are too damaged to take as a prize. If you shoot them down to 0% structure, their special pumps are disabled and they sink.

 

we will increase the sinking time.

Player pick up will stay as we don't want to have a battle result screen, and there are benefits in an ability to use derelicts which we observe live on streams in group battles.. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, admin said:

We tuned the game for skill and counters and it allows 1 player to sink 6 disorganized captains due to his sheer will and skill..

Tuning this for skill, can you then remove absurd gear bonuses and unlimited repair kits.  Can you make gear, wood types and the rest available for all and not just for the skilled ones?

You may also have some mechanisms that are simply out of balance/broken.

Can you also remove that "realistic" from Steam then?

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Tuning this for skill, can you then remove absurd gear bonuses and unlimited repair kits.  Can you make gear, wood types and the rest available for all and not just for the skilled ones?

You may also have some mechanisms that are simply out of balance/broken.

Timing repairs is a skill. For example did you know that woods lose thickness depending on how damaged they are. So in fir ships you must repair early. In live oak you can wait a bit to the end. 
And there are no unlimited repair kits if you focus fire, do not shot at angles, use locked sector and stay on one side using structure to slow it down. Too many people focus on demasting and we killed demasting meta by mods. If you fit against demasting you can kill 10 players SOLO. because all everyone does now is shoot masts - use it and you can sail solo anywhere being a death machine.

also said above that speed cap exists because we dont want you to run. we want you to fight to the death and find out that you can actually win if outnumbered.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, admin said:

Timing repairs is a skill. For example did you know that woods lose thickness depending on how damaged they are. So in fir ships you must repair early. In live oak you can wait a bit to the end. 

Since its not implemented in the woodmodifier documentation we dont know it and can only guess it. :)

A small documentation about that would be realy nice

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rediii said:

Since its not implemented in the woodmodifier documentation we dont know it and can only guess it. :)

A small documentation about that would be realy nice

it was in the patchnotes (i think). and could have been also found out by testing. Dark souls leaves half of things from documentation, players like finding out new things themselves.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, admin said:

 

I does not sum up anything. There are screens like this from pvp as well. (2-3 veterans sinking 10-15 ships). 
We tuned the game for skill and counters and it allows 1 player to sink 6 disorganized captains due to his sheer will and skill.. That's the goal and if you don't like there is nothing i can or will do about it. We WANT 1 player to be able to kill 4-5 unorganized captains. This translates to sinking 10-20 disorganized bots.

And we would prefer @HachiRoku to post his amazing deeds from pvp. There is nothing special in sinking 25 4th and 3rd rates in 2 First rates.

yea I think you are completely wrong on this. The reason experienced players are able to do this has an awful lot to do with your multiple repair kits, rum, and absurd mods. Take the same situation as above and have it played out over on Legends and see how it goes. Having the ability to bring the dead back to life and essentially unlimited repairing capabilities is not equal to skill so much in my opinion rather than poor design. It's not like I just fired up this game and have no experience with pvp. There have been plenty of great pvp'ers from Sea Trials up to now and the ability for an outnumbered enemy to defeat a numerically superior enemy has always existed. I would simply argue that it was harder to do in many ways before than what it is now. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

 The reason experienced players are able to do this has an awful lot to do with your multiple repair kits, rum

Everybody has this. So both sides are equal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, admin said:

it was in the patchnotes (i think). and could have been also found out by testing. Dark souls leaves half of things from documentation, players like finding out new things themselves.

Not sure it was. Normally I look at them and include changes of stats rtc. in the tools ai wrotebto compare ships etc.

We test a lot and compare stuff ingame aswell but its hard to properly test how much thickness you lose when taking damage with different wood

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×