Game-Labs Forum

Wind Turning in Battle

Question

Question: Does anyone know if the wind always turns in the same direction in battle? Or does it have a random chance to go either way. 

The last few times I have payed careful attention, it seems that once a direction is chosen, it will continue to turn in the same direction. I may be wrong, but it seems that if the wind is turning clockwise, it will turn clockwise the whole battle. Or if it is turning counter-clockwise, it will only turn counter-clockwise during the battle. 

If I am right, I would like to suggest to @admin to change it so every time the wind shifts, it has an equal change to go left or right. Right now, when being chased by a large enemy fleet, wind always shifting the same direction makes it pretty close to impossible to escape. Some people can choose a course to intercept 30 minutes later, and the wind will push you to them.
This has happened to me several times now, including tonight. In a straight line I was faster than the enemy ships with the wind, but every time it would shift, I was forced to follow the wind to keep my speed advantage, but my enemies had split themselves to assure I would be forced right into them. 

If it was a random chance to go left or right, then nobody would have an unfair advantage, and be able to predict which way it is going.

Edited by Guest

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, EliteDelta said:

Question: Does anyone know if the wind always turns in the same direction in battle? Or does it have a random chance to go either way. 

The last few times I have payed careful attention, it seems that once a direction is chosen, it will continue to turn in the same direction. I may be wrong, but it seems that if the wind is turning clockwise, it will turn clockwise the whole battle. Or if it is turning counter-clockwise, it will only turn counter-clockwise during the battle. 

If I am right, I would like to suggest to @admin to change it so every time the wind shifts, it has an equal change to go left or right. Right now, when being chased by a large enemy fleet, wind always shifting the same direction makes it pretty close to impossible to escape. Some people can choose a course to intercept 30 minutes later, and the wind will push you to them.
This has happened to me several times now, including tonight. In a straight line I was faster than the enemy ships with the wind, but every time it would shift, I was forced to follow the wind to keep my speed advantage, but my enemies had split themselves to assure I would be forced right into them. 

If it was a random chance to go left or right, then nobody would have an unfair advantage, and be able to predict which way it is going.

I think the wind shouldn't shift anymore and go back to the way it was....It does more harm than good. 

2 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

I've seen it go clockwise and counterclockwise. How far it turns idk.

Like this post if you got away ;)

My point is that once it is turning, I think it always turns the same direction. 
I have seen both also, but have you seen it turn both ways in the same battle?

Just now, EliteDelta said:

My point is that once it is turning, I think it always turns the same direction. 
I have seen both also, but have you seen it turn both ways in the same battle?

Never seen it do that nope. Should be if we're gonna have shifting winds, that way chasers can't just ride the inside and vise versa for runners.

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Never seen it do that nope. Should be if we're gonna have shifting winds, that way chasers can't just ride the inside and vise versa for runners.

Yeah, completely agree. Otherwise anyone trying to escape will always be at a disadvantage.. Its like trying to win a race by running only on the outside edge of a track.  

In reply to OP - I don't know. But, it should have a chance to go either way, with a probability bias to go the same way until the wind has moved between 90 and 135/180 degrees from the original direction at which point the probability bias should probably shift the other way.  Time of day could impact the odds as well, with a higher chance of the wind to move towards a shoreward direction in the afternoon and the reverse in the early morning. In general, modest change or no smaller change should be more likely than extreme change and in general wind should be more likely to shift in the same direction. Also when it does change, the speed of change feels a bit too fast.

50 minutes ago, admin said:

wind change direction is random.

Hmm. Okay, well thanks for the answer. I was asking because I've had several battles now where the wind turned me only one direction, changing 3-4 times over the course of over an hour.. 

I will do some tests I think, to make sure it's working properly. 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:39 PM, EliteDelta said:

Some people can choose a course to intercept 30 minutes later, and the wind will push you to them.

I am pretty sure I did this to you yesterday in your wasa (even though you got me in another battle). I have been watching and Basically at 1:17:00-1:16:30 the wind WILL change. From what I gathered it is not guaranteed whether it shifts clockwise or counter-clockwise. I pretty much gamble every time a battle starts when I am in a big ship.

I will say however that the wind used to turn 90 degrees + when it would start to shift. Now I noticed how much it shifts has been reduced and randomized a bit.

Edited by Molder169
added time

1 hour ago, Molder169 said:

I am pretty sure I did this to you yesterday in your wasa (even though you got me in another battle). I have been watching and Basically at 1:17:00-1:16:30 the wind WILL change. From what I gathered it is not guaranteed whether it shifts clockwise or counter-clockwise. I pretty much gamble every time a battle starts when I am in a big ship.

I will say however that the wind used to turn 90 degrees + when it would start to shift. Now I noticed how much it shifts has been reduced and randomized a bit.

Yeah, I have now noticed it turning both clockwise and counter clockwise in the same battle. I think the amount it turns is still too much.. It would make more sense to me if it turned 30-45 degrees at a time, but a full 90 degree shift seems kinda extreme.