Game-Labs Forum

Idea: BATTLE UI Combined Compass & Radar Boxes

Idea: BATTLE UI Combined Compass & Radar Boxes

Not sure if this was suggested before, but here goes. The Two boxes on the Bottom left and right Could be combined into just one. Cleans up the real estate on the screen somewhat. Not sure how difficult to program.

The two visual boat references never move so should be ok. Also, the radar (right box) would it be possible to have a zoom in and out or even a toggle view close normal and far distances.

The downside I can probably see with this is if you play on a laptop. Does the box become too cluttered visually?

Let me know what you think

Norfolk.

Edited by Norfolk nChance

The system you describe is used in aviation for collision avoidance, I don't think the superimposition of ship positions onto a compass rose would be cluttered visually, it works well enough on Flight Simulator in boxes half the size and (on some but not all aircraft that use them) with more traffic displayed in high content areas around big airports. Zoom is also possible on anti collision systems which serves to reduce clutter in high density areas.

There are very clear advantages to this would be that those who have difficulty working out reciprocal courses and bearing to objects around may find it helpful with situational awareness, all the information they need is in one place, as it is in HUD display where you have ranged look out information, direction and bearing shown by default.

Naturally, the Naval Captain of an 18th Century warship had to keep all this information in his head as a mental picture of what was where, going where, and how much of a threat to his command it is, as well as wind direction/strength and the condition of his ship. A huge amount of information to  process and make decisions from  without any of the aids from computers and radar, a formidable task for a man with 30 years service, more so with someone who is in their first battle with only theory and no experience to guide them.

I think as long as the information shown is selectable it would provide assistance to the less experienced player and veterans can disable or limit information shown to their tastes it would be a workable solution in combat instances.

• Like 1