Game-Labs Forum

Recent Port battle primer?

Kubrat

Question

Is there a recent post by some helpful soul that can explain how port battles work nowadays.  I say nowadays because I know dynamics somewhat recently changed when (most) everyone switched to faster ships and focus switched away from Live oak.

But in saying that i don't really understand how any of it works, circles, timers etc. Links to a good post would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

Port battles:

Goal: Gain a score of 1000

You get points by..

1. Sinking enemy ships
  2. Destroying forts / towers (250 per fort, not sure about towers)
  3. Holding capture zones

In each port battle, there are three capturable circles. You can capture those circles by having more ships inside the circle than the enemy. However, you do only gain points from a captured circle, if there is NO enemy present in the circle.

Battle length is 105 minutes, cap circles are locked for the first 10 min (reduces defender's bonus)

On this map you can see the capcircle / fort and towers layout of every port (need to zoom in)

https://na-map.netlify.com/

Hope I didn't forget anything

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kubrat said:

Is there a recent post by some helpful soul that can explain how port battles work nowadays.  I say nowadays because I know dynamics somewhat recently changed when (most) everyone switched to faster ships and focus switched away from Live oak.

But in saying that i don't really understand how any of it works, circles, timers etc. Links to a good post would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

@Liq covered most everything inside a PB. I'll just add what it takes to set a PB and who can enter.

If you look on the map, each port lists a BR rating. This is the maximum total BR of ships that can enter a PB on each side. Each side is also limited to 25 ships. Additionally some ports are designated shallow water ports. Only 6th rate ships and smaller can fight in these PB. In all others, the ships have to be 5th rate of larger. Mortar Brigs can enter either Deep or Shallow.

Ports are owned by clans. The owner can pay a daily fee to set the PB timer to a 3 hour window. If this is done, hostility can only be raised and the PB scheduled within this window. 

Port Battles occur 24 hours after hostility at the port reaches 100%. Hostility is raised by a nation successfully completing Hostility Missions. The PB will be set by the clan which raises the most hostility. Although all clans and clanless players can participate in hostility missions, only members of the clan who sets the PB and members of clans which are on that clan's Friendly Clan list actually get to fight in the PB.

Hostility Missions are defended by 10 x AI ships. They will either be 10 Mercuries (I think) in Shallow ports, and 10 Aggies or 10 Victories in all others. Unfortunately there's no way to determine beyond Shallow or Deep by just looking at the map. This configuration is left over from the days of Shallow, 4th Rate, and Line Ship port battles.

PB against neutral ports are defended by a mixture of 6 x AI of the specific class. Again, there's no way to tell which class this will be unless it's a Shallow port.

It takes 4 hostility missions of killing all AI to reach 100%. You still gain hostility if you don't kill all, you just will need to do more missions. If you lose ships during a hostility mission, reduce the hostility gained.

Hostility that fails to reach 100% before the daily server reset will reset back to 0%.

Hostility Missions stay open until all AI are dead or 90 minutes has passed so sometimes the defending nation players may jump in your mission. Sinking players in the defending region raises or lowers hostility at a higher rate.

It's always best to coordinate with the attacking clan prior to trying to join a PB. Many clans have very specific requirements about who and in what ship they want in the battle. And if your clan is not on their Friends List, you won't be able to enter anyway.

Perhaps someone else can jump in and explain how battle groups and screening works but please don't turn this instructional thread into accusations about exploiting mechanics. 

Edited by Farrago
Clarified one sentence.
  • Like 3

On 20/01/2018 at 7:00 AM, Liq said:

However, you do only gain points from a captured circle, if there is NO enemy present in the circle.

So in such a case a player that could sail around quickly and avoid battle would be able to stop the enemy gaining points. 

I presume this is the reason why PB fleets rebuilt in teak/WO several weeks back.  I knew it had something to do with mobility but nothing explicit.

3 hours ago, Kubrat said:

So in such a case a player that could sail around quickly and avoid battle would be able to stop the enemy gaining points. 

I presume this is the reason why PB fleets rebuilt in teak/WO several weeks back.  I knew it had something to do with mobility but nothing explicit.

Lighter ships can be driven out of a circle by the heavies. Different strategies can be used. Wind plays the biggest role. The current mechanic encourages some variety in PB fleets but unfortunately ridiculous thickness mods and the Wasa being OP for its BR squashes that variety.

Most of us have our fingers crossed that the Devs will go through with their promised BR evaluation.

Edited by Farrago