Game-Labs Forum
Norfolk nChance

NA-L: Is some boarding an exploit…?

Do you think some boarding situations are an exploit?

When an enemy AI or not boards one of your AI ships this is FREE Damage Dealt points for you firing into the enemy that cannot return fire…

Next is when you’ve marines and taken a beating. Steering into an Enemy in order to board him. This enemy maybe larger and in better shape but will save you from sinking and you may win the boarding action. Thus, you get the kill but immediately sink.

Boarding, is one of my stronger game areas however I find useless early game or when a stronger vessel. The Boarding actions favor the weaker ships…

Did you think some boarding actions are an exploit or in not sportsman like way? I don't to be honest but when a friend says it I sort of listen and look to see if I'm missing something...

Norfolk

Edited by Norfolk nChance

Boarding as it is currently implemented is the element I hate the most in the game. It often keeps me from even starting the game, reminding me that I might get into a boarding-menu-button-clicking again. (said it before, and will keep doing it until its changed - or I completely abandon the game)

Boarding though is an important element of the age of sail.

Boarding any ship to save yourself while your own ship is sinking beneath you, is a viable tactic. Nothing wrong with that.

AI's boarding AI's is probably OK, but might need some adjustments, as often it seems a weaker AI is all too keen getting into boarding action with a stronger one.

Personally I think the situations are not an exploit.

If your crew are engaged in a boarding action then they are not manning the cannons so are unlikely to be able to fire broadsides. I guess you could have a game where you could only assign so many to boarding and leave some cannons manned, but this would leave you vulnerable to losing the boarding action due to fewer crew assigned. Not sure how this reflects how it was in RL, but I doubt you could concentrate much on firing a cannon with a melee going on behind you.

With regards to the situation where you are almost sinking, I think it would give you more impetus to board another ship. I have found in practice it is not that easy to do once you are sinking as you seldom have enough crew to assign to boarding as most are on survival. You would really have to be ready to board before you lost all your structure. If you switch off survival you sink quite quickly and once sinking you ship becomes sluggish so it is not hard for your opponent to avoid being boarded.

I think the bigger issue with regards to boarding in NA-L is that if you are boarded by an AI even if you win the chances are that you are effectively out of the fight as you are severely depleted crew wise. I think the winner of the boarding action should get a percentage of their crew back.

Thanks for the reply guys,

In NA-OW in a BOARDING action if one side sinks then the boarding is “Interrupted”. I’d like to see this added to NA-L also. Having a sunk vessel continue on for several rounds doing damage to the other ship is not quite right.

My second example, I purposely go to board a larger ship to win the action even though I might have less crew and more often a heavily damaged ship not sinking though. This was my friend’s complaint in fairness. The tactic I actually use a lot. I didn’t realize it was unsportsmanlike thus the reason for the post.

The main scenario in which I use this is I’m the weakest in both groups. Going for the KILL will be hard if not impossible, but boarding is a lot better technique. Unfortunately like @Archaos points out once won my crew is depleted to be impossible to carry on effectively. But if I’ve at least got the KILL then great.

I’d also like to see some form of “PRESS GANG” effect. Either via an officer or normal mechanic. If you WIN a boarding you will receive 25% Boost in CREW. This will allow you maybe to play along. Any higher and it spoils the whole point and risk of such actions in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The main scenario in which I use this is I’m the weakest in both groups. Going for the KILL will be hard if not impossible, but boarding is a lot better technique. Unfortunately like @Archaos points out once won my crew is depleted to be impossible to carry on effectively. But if I’ve at least got the KILL then great.

killing a ship with you even just a few crew left on board is a win for the team. Your team still might get some DPS out of u, and extra target to eat DPS from other team.  The Sunk boat will get neither.

As for the other stuff each his on. Just don't do Same setup/thing every time people adapt not matter how good you are.  You always will get sunk eventually most of the time doing new stuff that don't work lol.

Im sure they did it all the  time back in the age of sail wars, ofc they wouldnt do it when friendly sailors went aboard but right before the attack they could stern rake it or try to grape the decks.