Game-Labs Forum

Whats the crow's nest for?

As the captain of a ship it is not his responsibility to be the first to spot other sails on the horizon.

I'd like to suggest a spotter mechanic/marker be added.  Now this could be affected by mods or books too, but i'd like to suggest ships have a 'lookout' that will automatically mark the edge of the screen in the direction of the sail.  Now range could be boosted/shrunk with weather and mods, and books.  I'd also suggest that the actual player have the slight edge even with max mods and upgrades.

The screen markers should not indicate anything more than a contact, not that it is friend or foe etc.  Leave them at the edge of the screen as to not mess up the beautiful view and as an option for players to disable.

On a long voyage it gets tiresome spinning the view all the time, and that isn't the captain's job afterall.

15 minutes ago, Cabral said:

Neither is the captain responsibility to steer the helm, drop the sails and turn yards, but you do that ingame.

We give the orders by tapping keys, guess we could add voice commands to do the same.. i think someone once was working on something like that for NA

2 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

No need for sound when someone is spotted. Awareness in OW is important part of sailing, if somebody is too lazy to look around it's his own fault.

Ohh even better sound instead of a screen marker!  Like that idea

Edited by SKurj

9 minutes ago, Odol said:

I wouldn't mind a sound, bell or something signalling the spotting of a sail.  But this could be annoying in high traffic areas.  

A bell was sometimes used to call attention to the lookouts call, being rung three times in quick succession, although most likely at a period later than this, a ships bell preceded the iceberg warning aboard Titanic before she struck. Generally it was used for timekeeping  or station keeping in bad visibility, or as a warning such as a fire aboard. There were other uses normally connected with visitors, New year and Independence day  (in the USN) or to signify a death or christening aboard ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship's_bell#Other_uses_for_bell_strikes

https://www.britannica.com/technology/ships-bell

Now hang on, if we add these little markers on the sides of the screen, its not doing anything for you except relieving you of having to sit there and spin the view over and over, you still have to watch the screen for the marker to appear.  I really do not think it adds anything to the game forcing the player to be constantly spinning the view.

10 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Sailing in OW is Naval Spin Action. You've gotta keep spinning because you never know when something will appear next to you. Someone might login or come out of the battle.

and thats my point...  it adds nothing to gameplay   (the spinning that is)

Edited by SKurj

It can be achieved with the following method.

Spotter Chat must be added to the game. In there system could list all ships that are spotted on the horizon in X radius from the ship (center).  New mods can be added to the game that increase spotting range (radius) - 'Highly Polished Spyglass". 

Chat will flash and option to add notification line on the screen could be optional. With spotter information on the screen players could click on the message and instantly focus camera on the target. Same thing with chat, player could just click the message and camera focus. Player ships will be colored differently from NPCs.

Could look like this - [[[[NW 20:21 - Spanish Fleet (Frigate, Trader sloop)]]]] and would rotate clockwise. 

NW 20:21 - Spanish Fleet (Frigate, Trader sloop)

SW 20:22 - French Player Name (Indiaman, 2 Frigate)

S 20:23 - Pirate Fleet (3rd rate, 2 Frigates)

.... and so on @admin

Edited by H2O

On 18/01/2018 at 3:45 PM, SKurj said:

and thats my point...  it adds nothing to gameplay   (the spinning that is)

no it is the game play ... how many ppl have been caught afk sailing .. having a bell or lookout shout a warning means afk sailing is no longer dangerous

whats the point of playing the game if things like this are automated

The point in having someone on the crew call out sightings is it would add to the enjoyment of sailing.

I don't sail while AFK.

Currently I have to continually scan 360 degrees looking for enemy that can approach like a thundering speedboat very quickly.  I would enjoy sailing much more if I could navigate or write in the ship's log.  But because everyone on the crew is mute or sworn to silence I have to maintain vigilance 100% of the time.

Sailing would be more interesting if there was an option to have the crew help with lookout duties.  Emphasis on option.  The feature must have an off position. 

• Like 1