Game-Labs Forum
admin

Turn inertia - discuss

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Turning inertia.

What are your thoughts and suggestions captains?

feels good. Not arcade and not too realistic.

Just how steelsailingships should feel in my oppinion

Edited by rediii
  • Like 3

If that means that the ship keeps turning for some seconds after you let the button go then:

Even after trying to get used to it, its annoying to wait seconds for your ship to stop so you can finally shoot (shooting while turning is useless most of the time). So overall it mostly adds a clunky feeling to the ship, but on the other hand its also a skill to stop your ship exactly where u want.

Unneccassary imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

If that means that the ship keeps turning for some seconds after you let the button go

It's the time till one reaches max rudder power. It needs time till the rudder is set and released. Imo it's fine.

Quick sidenote: this, leeway and especially the wind changes adds depth to the game. I fear it pushes the game much more into a niche, as it adds more and more things players have to take care of. This game gets more and more difficult and imho won't help to get more players into it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Palatinose said:

Quick sidenote: this, leeway and especially the wind changes adds depth to the game. I fear it pushes the game much more into a niche, as it adds more and more things players have to take care of. This game gets more and more difficult and imho won't help to get more players into it.

leeway is not complex. Its just no-one have tried to take ships seriously before. We did. 
Even casual Need for speed has handbrake and drift and you can even get thrown from the track by excessive force if you did not brake in advance.

• Like 8

I tend to agree. I think players interested in Naval Action (as a playable Age-of-Sail battle simulator) in the first place will not have much of a problem with understanding concepts like leeway and inertia.

Personally, I play NA and NAL parallel at the moment, and I much prefer the NA sailing model. I feel it gives a more challenging game, and a longer learning curve that good sailors will profit from. Not that I count myself amongst that illustrious group... ;)

• Like 1

I like the feature of turn inertia even if it is "annoying" when aiming to fire. I like it because it's a tiny little skill thing to deal with it and it makes the ship sailing feel more realistic and sim-like. The old "sailing on rails" model was just fine for gameplay but inertia combined with leeway as realism and ship balancing tools is fantastic.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

It's the time till one reaches max rudder power. It needs time till the rudder is set and released. Imo it's fine.

The game is already Niche, that is why it will never have a massive player base.

I like the turn inertia as it is...it seems pretty well balanced to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

Turning inertia.

ok as it is

The delay makes it have the feeling of not controlling a modern jet but standing on deck at the helm, or giving orders to the helmsman.

The anticipation needed to carry through with the intended course changes is very pleasing and doesn't take away any fun, as presented multiple times by many players in their daily activities.

There's a lot that can be done with the rigging now, more than before, to control them both leeway and the inertia. Reduce sails, manual trimming, these are essential.

Its fine. The only thing I'd ask is a key to lock the rudder at its current position. I don't think the Ctrl key is being used for anything.

Also a way to disable the double tap lock function. Sometimes when trying to trim the rudder by tapping you'll get rudder locked when you 're trying to do a slight turn. It's very frustrating for a keyboard and mouse user.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

Turning inertia.

for the small ships, it can be brought back a little they seem to dance sometimes(  like wot tonks on ice)

for the big ships its oke

you see:  the  helm  gradually turns the ship to his final position and its not that much inertia (a good listener to the helm that is )

perhaps some small adjustment on particular ships  to give particularly  the underwater hull some difference  in use (for the underwater mass compared to other same class ships)[then we have to look at the historical sailing characteristics of a ship]

but in general, there is no need to over exaggerate, we don't need bumper cars in the game for some of us it is difficult enough to sail a straight line

the ping  factor: but also for the ping we have to take account, so we do not overdo it for some with a bad ping

(bad ping is a bad helmsman)

Edited by Thonys

We need an analog axis for rudder control, or/and more steps between center and full rudder for a better control of inertia.

• Like 2

It’s fine as it is i would say, the firing takes concentration for sure but like all things worth learning it takes time.

Adds a bit more skill and patience into the game, as it would be in real life. A captain needs to predict his shots a bit more in advance, and needs to be able to predict the way his ship is going to move. It also adds for some strategic maneuvers otherwise impossible.

4 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

If that means that the ship keeps turning for some seconds after you let the button go then:

Even after trying to get used to it, its annoying to wait seconds for your ship to stop so you can finally shoot (shooting while turning is useless most of the time). So overall it mostly adds a clunky feeling to the ship, but on the other hand its also a skill to stop your ship exactly where u want.

Unneccassary imo.

Ok i get it now. It feels good imho, it foces you to counter rudder a bit but its fine. The more skill involved for proper sailing the better.

Turn inertia is great. For one, it makes sniping masts harder, which makes demast meta a bit less common.

It feels right and in my opinion is a good addition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, admin said:

leeway is not complex. Its just no-one have tried to take ships seriously before. We did. 
Even casual Need for speed has handbrake and drift and you can even get thrown from the track by excessive force if you did not brake in advance.

It's worth to ask new players what they think about this. It's a new skill for a veteran, since they're used to an old system. I guess for new players it's just a standard mechanic. Worth confirming though.