Game-Labs Forum

Change Dock Limits to be based on BR

Instead of the dock being a set number of spaces, make it a set BR. You can have an unlimited number of ships as long as you stay under the BR cap for your dock level. So using the above formula, for example, a max dock could be limited to 3500 BR under the current system. This would allow 5 1st rates and little else, or 350 trader's lynxs, or a reasonable mix of ships of different classes (including an SoL or 2). 

Such a limitation would allow players to build out their dock to best fit their play style without restricting any particular ship to them, but still limit the presence of SoLs in the game (which is the apparent goal of the VM for SoL system introduced by the developers). 

You could even go one step further (an idea stolen from a FB game I used to play) and charge a nominal maintenance fee on each ship (this is to discourage the 350 trader's lynxes arrangement mainly).

For reference I did the calc on my 20 ships in dock and I would have about 215 BR free to add more ships. 

Edited by BPHick

4 hours ago, Stepp636 said:

Without a fixed limit or like you propose BR limit the database would get to big. 

I think admin mentioned some time ago that this is the reason for a limit. 

I'm not proposing an unlimited number, just rather a change to how the limit is determined. However, understanding there is a practical limit to what the devs are willing to pay for backend-wise, perhaps a per-ship type limit could also be implemented (like no more than 15 or 20 of a give ship type).