Game-Labs Forum

Battles should not close

I think that could make it more exciting. It could either mean a sudden reversal in the battle dynamic or they could enter so far away as to be unable to reach the battle in time. And, of course, they aren't the only ones i the battle who can try to get more players to enter.

1 minute ago, BPHick said:

if TP is tow to port, then put a long cool down timer on the ability to join a battle after using it (like 30 min). Should already exist anyway, imo.

Yes but I can Teleport across the map with the outpost system. So basically I can travel immense distances in a short time and make it to the battle. 

1 minute ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Yes but I can Teleport across the map with the outpost system. So basically I can travel immense distances in a short time and make it to the battle. 

Reading before posting can be so helpful, as this has been discussed in several posts already. Must be in OW when the battle started to be able to enter. Teleporting, or entering port at all, means it becomes closed to you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BPHick said:

Reading before posting can be so helpful, as this has been discussed in several posts already. Must be in OW when the battle started to be able to enter. Teleporting, or entering port at all, means it becomes closed to you.

I can TP and exit port before the Tag is set...

You can do that now so.....

Yes but if the battle is more than 2:30 minutes from the port you can't enter. With your proposed change you can.

Really there is just no excuse for allowing people who are thousands of kilometers away into a battle since "realistically" they would have never played a role.

You would have to slow down OW speed which then kills gameplay.

Edited by RedNeckMilkMan

Just now, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Yes but if the battle is more than 2:30 minutes from the port you can't enter. With your proposed change you can.

the confluence of factors that would allow you to reach it would likely not make this particular scenario game breaking. Of course, you can always add the tow to port cool down for battle join proposed above to teleport as well, to mitigate the concern. Hell, make it an hour and a half, then there would be no way to enter the battle in any meaningful way.

2 minutes ago, BPHick said:

the confluence of factors that would allow you to reach it would likely not make this particular scenario game breaking. Of course, you can always add the tow to port cool down for battle join proposed above to teleport as well, to mitigate the concern. Hell, make it an hour and a half, then there would be no way to enter the battle in any meaningful way.

All it takes is for me to hear that my clan member is in trouble teleport and exit port nearest to them. Now I can join whenever I want. The people who play this game take full advantage of every mechanic available to them. This would be the easiest way to gank in my opinion. Just send a dude out let him get tagged and now jump him with a bunch of ships.

This would be frustrating for players who can't join their friends right next to them.

15 minutes ago, BPHick said:

I think that could make it more exciting. It could either mean a sudden reversal in the battle dynamic or they could enter so far away as to be unable to reach the battle in time. And, of course, they aren't the only ones i the battle who can try to get more players to enter.

Most of the time it will be frustrating for one side. And if they spawn to far away to even do something, then why introduce it.

With always open battles, a group of 10 people can control a very large area of sea and gank every poor soul in it. Of course now they can stick together and gank one poor sod too. But the 5 other guys might slip through.

Such a helpful post. Thank you for making such a meaningful contribution to the conversation.

What he meant is, that we had these mechanics, and it was tested to be not the ideal solution.

1 minute ago, RedNeckMilkMan said:

This would be the easiest way to gank in my opinion. Just send a dude out let him get tagged and now jump him with a bunch of ships.

This already happens, and frequently. So I don't see the continuation of it being a reason not to make a change. 

1 minute ago, Cecil Selous said:

This would be frustrating for players who can't join their friends right next to them.

Like it already is? Because you were out sailing with a group, and the guy upwind got attacked and now it's taken you 5 minutes to beat upwind to him and can no longer join the battle?

Most of the time it will be frustrating for one side. And if they spawn to far away to even do something, then why introduce it.

Because it is not designed for people to sail across the map, it is designed for people that are in the same geographical area and would be a way to encourage PvP.

With always open battles, a group of 10 people can control a very large area of sea and gank every poor soul in it. Of course now they can stick together and gank one poor sod too. But the 5 other guys might slip through.

This goes back to the realism argument, irl a line of 4 or 5 ships could control a hundred miles of ocean. There is no correlating mechanic in game. Furthermore, in the game, your 10 people would have to choose between fighting 1v who knows how many to control that very large area, or reinforce each other and control less (um, thinking about it in that light makes it wholly indifferent to the game now and the change would actually favor the defender)

What he meant is, that we had these mechanics, and it was tested to be not the ideal solution.

No, you had something that was similar and instead of being adjusted to fix its shortcomings it was removed entirely, which not only wasn't a fix, resulted in a larger negative to overall gameplay.

30 minutes ago, BPHick said:

Such a helpful post. Thank you for making such a meaningful contribution to the conversation.

There is a metric ton of posts on this issue buried in these forums. We've seen what happens. It sounds like a great idea, but people use it to gank and grief. Hiding in port, sending out lure, hiding behind landmass... Admin is actually keen on big and open battles, players do the King Midas in reverse on it, tho.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BPHick said:

Let me try and be a bit more helpful:

the forums have a search function, if you want to do some research and see what actually happened when it was tested. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BPHick said:

Sailing on the sea, you see a fight, you can join, irl. Should be the same in game.

Sailing on the sea, you see a fight, you get there when it's already over. It is the same in game.

3 hours ago, jodgi said:

There is a metric ton of posts on this issue buried in these forums. We've seen what happens. It sounds like a great idea, but people use it to gank and grief. Hiding in port, sending out lure, hiding behind landmass... Admin is actually keen on big and open battles, players do the King Midas in reverse on it, tho.

Literally all of this happens under the current system, except the big battles. Therefore, the premise that it happened before and using that to conclude the current system is better is flawed logic.

35 minutes ago, Pada said:

No. Battles should be closed. It was tested and it was terrible. Be happy that the battles stay open for 3 minutes, it used to be shorter than that.

Honestly, I'd be most happy if instanced battles went away entirely. There is no reason for them in a persistent, open world sandbox. 

3 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Let me try and be a bit more helpful:

the forums have a search function, if you want to do some research and see what actually happened when it was tested. 

Feel free to post some links. The forum search feature sucks unless you know exactly what combination of words you are looking for. I'm not reading 1000+ pages of search results looking for the 5 threads from the past 2 years of discussions that deal with this topic. This forum is for suggestions, I made one, and have amended it through the course of discussion. If you want to make the argument of "we tried it and it didn't work" then feel free to post links supporting that argument. 

Honestly, I'd be most happy if instanced battles went away entirely. There is no reason for them in a persistent, open world sandbox. 

And how do you want to fight people? Do you just want to trade and craft and forget about the combat?

• Like 1